Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to stop cows from tearing down your feeder pen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
    Also, heavier gauge tie wire.

I've got the tie wire doubled they aren't breaking it any more just jumping or walking into hog panel crushing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Go with 50" cattle panels and T-post every 5.5' instead of the 34" tall hog panels. Make the pen as big as you can afford and at least 10 panels. Cut a lower spot down to 44" more or less to give the deer easier access every other 50" panel. Keep the cottonseed and other feeders in the middle or as far from the edge as you can. I had the same issue with cattle on a 34" hog panel pen with only a corn feeder. The bull kept leaning over the top of the panel to eat buffle grass inside the pen. He finally laid over the top of the panels to get into the pen. Never touched any corn or the feeder just ate the grass. He tore up a pen over a 3 month period. Fixed his butt when I put wheels under him and took him to the sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
        Wait wait...I was told on TBH many times that folks never have problems with cattle getting over hog panels..

Get rid of those 36"hog panels and use the taller cattle panels.

Cut one or two down a level to 42/44" from 48"/50" for the deer to cross easier in strategic places in the pen. Problem solved

[ATTACH]871453[/ATTACH]
        You're a slow learner!

Comment

You could string some 4 strand barbwire out further away from the pen to keep the cows out!

Comment

I've used a single electric wire a few inches above the fence to keep cows from leaning over it pushing it down. Battery power with solar charger.

Comment

Stretching fence, you will need stronger corners than just a tee post. We use trees in the past, stretch and 1 string of barb wire across the top, stretched tight.

Comment

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
                I've used a single electric wire a few inches above the fence to keep cows from leaning over it pushing it down. Battery power with solar charger.
                This is the way I would solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                  A large circular pen with 10% more posts than you think you need, topped with one strand of very tight barbed wire.

And move the cotton seed further away from the fence. If they can get close to it leaning on the fence, they will eventually push it enough to get into the pen.

Comment

Use Hog panels. They are thicker gauge and cant be pushed over as easily. Use more t Posts too. I'd do a t post every 5 feet. If that still doesn't do it, add some barbed wire at the top of the pen.

Comment

Originally posted by softpoint View Post

I like this!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Barbed wire across the top

Comment

Add a strand of barbed wire at the top

Comment

Pen is too small to use the shorter panels.

I have used the hog panels for years but you have to make the pens bigger so they cant get close to the feeder.

Comment

Those panels look like thin wire, maybe add a stand of barb wire across the top.

Comment

Working...
                              X