Sighting in rifle/ cleaning rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sighting in rifle/ cleaning rifle

Once your rifle is sighted in with a cold barrel, how often do you clean it?

I would think if it shoots a cold barrel shot where you want it, no need to clean it until after season. Idea being to keep things as "standard" as possible.

Bout to get several theories...

Comment

Once my groups start opening up. I think most people over clean their rifles. You can easily go all season without cleaning your barrel. Especially on a bolt action hunting rifle.

Comment

I keep the barrel fouled all season and clean at the end of the year before storing.

Comment

About every 50rnds or so for me. Then I shoot 4-5 fouling shots before I make precision shots that count.

Comment

depends on the barrel and how often you shoot it

some rifles shoot better dirty, some rifles shoot better clean

Comment

I clean my guns after season. But Most of the time they go the season without being fired. A hog here or there.

Comment

each trip back home. punch the bore. the first shot will be a copy of the last. did this for 35 years or so.

Comment

I clean mine maybe twice a year. I like or feel comfortable with my barrel being cleaned at the start of the season, but with one fired through it after cleaning. I know I am wired different..........

Comment

Originally posted by Iehooligan11b View Post
                    Once my groups start opening up. I think most people over clean their rifles. You can easily go all season without cleaning your barrel. Especially on a bolt action hunting rifle.
                    I agree with the op and the quoted post 100%. No need to overdo it.

Comment

My custom rifle likes to be cleaned at around 25 rounds. I shoots well on first fouler but shoots best on shots 3-15. Factory rifeled barrels generally need 3-5 foulers for top end accuracy out of that particular rifle and generally hold good for 40-50 shots. All rifles will have a sweet spot of being cleaned and fouled. I never EVER hunt on a clean bore

Comment

Working...
                      X