Fish Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fish Help

Would like to try to eat more fish this year.

I love to catch fish but have always just given it away.

When I was a young boy, I ate cold fish left out from a catfish fry and got very sick from it. Food poisoning, I was super young but I still can't get over the taste, it takes me right back to an upset stomach.

For someone that would like the health benefits of eating fish but doesn't want to taste it much what kind of fish / recipes can you offer?

Thanks!

Don't eat catfish. Switch to salmon on the grill. This maybe the easiest way to get more fish consumed. It is very easy. Just a light creole seasoning or my favorite, Williams and Sanoma Potlatch seasoning. This should take only minutes to cook on the grill just like a steak and you will not be disappointed. I serve with a tablespoon or so of romalaude sauce. There are good recipes out there or the Louisiana brand has a little zing in it. You can get that at most stores.

Mahi - I use a jalapeno butter on the fish.

Be sure to remove the red meat from whatever fish you eat to get rid of that fishy taste.

Comment

My wife who is not a fish eater loves Speckled Trout and Mahi Mahi, mahi has very little "fish" taste if you can get it fresh. She doesn't like salmon. Tilapia is an affordable way to "practice" cooking fish. Grilled tuna steaks is also very good. But yea, catfish can be very mushy depending on the source. When I tried to fry some from Lake Calaveras, my wife would say, "so this is what the lake water tastes like......"

Comment

LOL yeah catfish will never happen again, I just can't.

I fillet up my catch and happily take it to family members

Comment

Originally posted by .270 View Post
          My wife who is not a fish eater loves Speckled Trout and Mahi Mahi, mahi has very little "fish" taste if you can get it fresh. She doesn't like salmon. Tilapia is an affordable way to "practice" cooking fish. Grilled tuna steaks is also very good. But yea, catfish can be very mushy depending on the source. When I tried to fry some from Lake Calaveras, my wife would say, "so this is what the lake water tastes like......"
          OHH, I like that grilled Tuna steak idea.

I like a Tuna sandwich!

Comment

To paraphrase Alton Brown, if fish smells fishy, then don't buy it, it's not fresh. Fish should not have a smell.

Comment

Blackened red fish, smoked Salmon

Comment

HEB has some foil sheets with holes that I use to grill fish with. I use them when I grill mahi or tilapia.

Comment

Note: The HEB Marketplace by me flies the salmon in fresh daily. I am very pleased with the product I get from them. If you have a doubt ask them when they got it. It never hurts to get to know the people behind the counter.

Comment

Originally posted by .270 View Post
                    HEB has some foil sheets with holes that I use to grill fish with. I use them when I grill mahi or tilapia.
                    I will pick some up! Thanks!

Really hoping I can get into eating fish at least a few times a month.

Comment

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
                      Blackened red fish, smoked Salmon
                      Can you explain how to blacken it?

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
                        Note: The HEB Marketplace by me flies the salmon in fresh daily. I am very pleased with the product I get from them. If you have a doubt ask them when they got it. It never hurts to get to know the people behind the counter.
                        I am an HEB guy myself, I will be trying my fish from them.

The salmon color has always given me the turned stomach feeling but I might try it down the road after I master a couple others.

Comment

Is Shark "fishy"?

Comment

blackened catfish fillets. my wife hates fish and even she eats them when i blacken them

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
                              blackened catfish fillets. my wife hates fish and even she eats them when i blacken them
                              Your method for blackening, please?

Comment

Working...
                              X