No announcement yet.

Broke out the old LX yesterday - still shoots better than me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's good that we have a place to share our archery passions. Doesn't mean we always will agree. Disagreement doesn't mean I don't respect those men on here who have succeeded before me and help light my path on this journey.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree.

Comment

Well I have agonized over this faux pas long enough - I have felt terrible - feeling responsible and almost guilty for starting what has appeared to me to be the biggest display of misguided rhetoric I have seen since - well along time. I in no way meant to cause a stir by posting a comment about wheel bows in a Traditional forum (of which I am a member and supporter) - was just trying to share a wonderful experience I had the day before with like minded fellow enthusiasts - I see I am not like minded - maybe with a few but not all. I enjoy archery...always have. I have recently tried to get back into the traditional end of it because I have my fondest memories of hunting in that setting and been away from it far too long and because of it's challenge and because it helps me get back to the nature of it's simplicity and purity.
        I made no negative comments about anyone or too anybody - but feel like I was accused of such - lets get past this and move on - I have learned a tremendous amount of good information from this forum and hope to continue to do so - but I will not listen to this anymore without speaking out - JB

Comment

Originally posted by jbgoodstok View Post
          Well I have agonized over this faux pas long enough - I have felt terrible - feeling responsible and almost guilty for starting what has appeared to me to be the biggest display of misguided rhetoric I have seen since - well along time. I in no way meant to cause a stir by posting a comment about wheel bows in a Traditional forum (of which I am a member and supporter) - was just trying to share a wonderful experience I had the day before with like minded fellow enthusiasts - I see I am not like minded - maybe with a few but not all. I enjoy archery...always have. I have recently tried to get back into the traditional end of it because I have my fondest memories of hunting in that setting and been away from it far too long and because of it's challenge and because it helps me get back to the nature of it's simplicity and purity.
          I made no negative comments about anyone or too anybody - but feel like I was accused of such - lets get past this and move on - I have learned a tremendous amount of good information from this forum and hope to continue to do so - but I will not listen to this anymore without speaking out - JB
          It's all good JB. No harm, no foul. Stick around, this a great group of guys, but just like anywhere else there will always be some disagreements.

Comment

I was attacked for stating a fact once on another forum the other individual was mis informed but in the end I was right . I would say don't let it get to you , there some good topics and information with some good people with some friendly teasing at times, and cool pictures of trophies. Like CRM_95 said above stick around.

Comment

It wasn't you at all that got this to where it is now. I can assure you that 99% of the trad guys here don't care what you shoot and accept everyone. It was another comment by a different member that stirred the pot.

But...this is nothing. Go to the 'campfire' and ask which is better, Mathews or Bowtech...At least two weeks of entertainment for sure.

Randy

Comment

You didn't do anything wrong JB. Keep shooting and posting.

Comment

JB it wasn't you at all, just a troll that jumped in and derailed your post. Definitely nothing wrong with shooting both, or a rifle for that matter. It's all about having fun and getting the fulfillment your looking for.

When we start talking ethics or shot distances just grab a beer and roll your eyes.

Comment

I do appreciate the comments from all of you - plan on hanging around - you all have too much good information and experience for me to ignore - and perhaps we can share a beer around the campfire someday...

Comment

Bud Light guy here. [emoji106]

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                        Rick, I'm thinking it must have been an earlier study. The one I posted a link too, took place after they had switched to traditional. I agree with you in that when I come to this forum I want to talk about trad equipment and subjects.
                        I may be wrong (and I usually am) but I think I watched a YouTube video where they were interviewing the man that started these hunts. During this interview he said something along the lines of what Rick is talking about. Find search YouTube Phil.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter Todd View Post
                          I may be wrong (and I usually am) but I think I watched a YouTube video where they were interviewing the man that started these hunts. During this interview he said something along the lines of what Rick is talking about. Find search YouTube Phil.
                          Bill Starry, who retired in 2015, was instrumental in making the hunts traditional. Here's info from an article about him.

"Probably the thing I'm most proud of is … anywhere I go, and it can be in Colorado, it can be almost anywhere … I am recognized by people because of this deer hunt here," he said. "To get this deer herd in the shape it's in right now … it's probably my greatest achievement."

But it wasn't always easy for him. From 1977 through 1984, the success rate for the hunt soared from seven to 24 percent and the buck to doe ratio was out of proportion. He needed to fix these problems, but the solution would not be an easy one.

New compound bows and elaborate tree stands had made the hunt easier. After considerable thought in 1985, he pitched his controversial plan -- restricting the hunt to traditional archery -- to the commander. The commander agreed, but they still had to sell it to their partners at the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation in Oklahoma City.

"I'll never forget this, the (ODWC) director was Greg Duffy, and he said, 'I'm going to tell you right now, you are in for one helluva fight' because he knew the public," Starry said.

"The (commanding officer) at the time was Col. Jim Boddie and he said, 'Mr. Duffy, fightin' is what we do for a livin'."

With ODWC in agreement, they promised to hold the hunt with the old rules and to promote the change for one year before reverting to traditional "stick and string" archery.

Dissent from sportsmen was considerable and it included several congressional inquiries, but the hunt with traditional archery proceeded in 1986 and it achieved the desired result.

Comment

That says just the opposite of what was purported earlier. Says compounds and tree stands made the hunting easier.

Comment

I always chuckle when these threads go this way . I usually refrain from posting my opinion. But I will say this , to each his own and do what makes you happy. Do what makes you a better hunter if you feel it's that way. But as far as ethical or efficient or Ect.... our ancestors survived for tens of thousands of years with a simple stick and string. And I would be willing to bet that anyone of them in their short lifespan efficiently and effectively killed way more animals than any modern hunter.
                              Remember the compound bow has only been around for 51 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X