Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting pigs with a 223

What bullet are you guys using?

I should preface that by saying I am stuck with a 12 twist, so the heavies are out of the question for me.

I had planned on shooting the Sierra #1365, 55 grain SBT. It is a great bullet, holds up good, a real killer on coyotes and deer. And it shoots fair in my Encore, about 3/4 MOA. Honestly that is probably accurate enough for what I need.

But I threw together about a dozen loads with some 55 NBT's I needed to burn up, and they shot really nice. I know with the solid base the NBT is a tougher bullet than the VMAX, but don't know if it is tough enough for pigs or not.

I don't want a premium bullet like Barnes because mostly this is just going to be a night time coyote/varmint rifle with a NV scope on it. But I would like a bullet that would do decent on pigs too if I had a shot at them.

Any suggestions on some well constructed bullets in the lighter weight range?

NBTs should do the trick with a Neck/Head shot
    I've killed pigs with v-max too

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
      What bullet are you guys using?

I should preface that by saying I am stuck with a 12 twist, so the heavies are out of the question for me.

I had planned on shooting the Sierra #1365, 55 grain SBT. It is a great bullet, holds up good, a real killer on coyotes and deer. And it shoots fair in my Encore, about 3/4 MOA. Honestly that is probably accurate enough for what I need.

But I threw together about a dozen loads with some 55 NBT's I needed to burn up, and they shot really nice. I know with the solid base the NBT is a tougher bullet than the VMAX, but don't know if it is tough enough for pigs or not.

I don't want a premium bullet like Barnes because mostly this is just going to be a night time coyote/varmint rifle with a NV scope on it. But I would like a bullet that would do decent on pigs too if I had a shot at them.

Any suggestions on some well constructed bullets in the lighter weight range?

3/4 MOA you should be ear holing them all day.

Comment

I know justintyme8303. I was happy with 3/4 MOA until I shot the 55 NBT and it was throwing those little groups. I am always tempted by bullets that shoot tight.

Comment

Remington 55gr PSP holds together pretty good and I think there cheap. They're like a miniature Core lokt.

Comment

We honestly do pretty good with cheap FMJs and green tips. Had plenty of pigs DRT with shots square in the shoulder. This includes pretty big boars. We shoot a lot of pigs so it gets expensive quick with expensive bullets

Comment

It's all about placement. For pigs, a little ole 17HMR will work-if you put it in the ear.

Comment

I've put down a pile of pigs with the 55 grain NBT. No complaints from me, even when shooting them thru the lungs.

Comment

Sierra 65gr GameKings are about the best tough .223 bullet.

Comment

Originally posted by TxNurse View Post
                    Sierra 65gr GameKings are about the best tough .223 bullet.
                    I agree on that bullet, but my 12 twist won't stabilize it. That is what I wish I could shoot.

Comment

55gr FMJ.. our truck gun is a single shot bull barrel 223.. we've killed piles of hogs with it the last 20 years

Comment

I have used the hornady sp 55 grain with good results. Probably 15 deer and a dozen hogs. Mostly head shots on the hogs. Several of the deer were high shoulder or lung shot and they did great.
                        Last edited by Pigkilln; 07-11-2017, 01:43 PM. Reason: Fixed

Comment

Barnes TSX works good here. I wish the heavier-than-55gr versions weren't so hard to find. My 1:7 doesn't shoot them as accurately as I'd like.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                            I agree on that bullet, but my 12 twist won't stabilize it. That is what I wish I could shoot.
                            You might give them a try if you haven't yet. I have read where a lot of people have good luck with them in 1:12--it just depends on the gun. They are rated for 1:10 or faster on the Sierra site, so that is getting close to 12.

Comment

Winchester Ranger 64 gr. PowerPoint. Boom, whop, thud.

Comment

Working...
                              X