Tree ID Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tree ID Help

Fella at work found this on his place in Colorado County. Figure one of yall will know what it is.

TIA
    SAC

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Turkey foot tree.

Comment

Any pics of the bark? The shape looks like a Red Oak

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
        Any pics of the bark? The shape looks like a Red Oak
        This pic is all I have.

Comment

Same leaf and question posted here: http://annieinaustin.blogspot.com/20...ery-plant.html

Here's what they figured out:

What you have there is a mulberry seedling. I'm 100% sure of this. I gather leaves to feed my silkworms, and it's gotten to the point where I can literally ID them driving down the freeway. As they are bird-planted, they tend to spring up in surprising places, often in the middle of beds or hedges, or under other trees.

These spiky leaves usually only last for a couple of seasons, although I have seen them for a few years on established seedling plants. They show up again on large trees when the tree throws out whips of entirely new growth. Those will tend to be more succulent than these juvenile leaves, though.

Look at these images of spiky mulberries:

(note the spiky ones down low, the round ones higher up)

This gallery forum allows users to upload images of plants that they are trying to identify so that others may be able to help them come up with a name. Make sure you read the instructions on uploading as certain restrictions apply.

and this thread on GardenWeb covers some of the variations:
          Is this a sapling, or a weed? First, I thought that it may be some type of sweet gum, but now I'm not so sure, since it's been growing so fast.... Image link:

Comment

I am gona guess red oak

Comment

Leaf looks like a red oak but would need more pics for positive ID

Comment

It's 100% NOT a red oak

Comment

TxAg, you have me convinced.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

We all need a Dermatology class!

Comment

Originally posted by SAC View Post
                      TxAg, you have me convinced.

Thanks for the help.
                      LMAO.

Pretty sure that is an oak and Reds put out weird shaped leaves at the bottom sometimes. I got one putting out giant post oak leaves right now. No points at all on em till you look up.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Mulberry. Juvenile shoots are deeply lobed like that until the stem matures and leaves emerge and form unlobed.

Comment

Yes, young mulberry:
                          T here's a new tree in my garden - at least it seems to be a tree- and I didn't plant it. Can someone please help me to identify this unkno...

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                            Mulberry. Juvenile shoots are deeply lobed like that until the stem matures and leaves emerge and form unlobed.
                            I was leaning towards mullberry myself but it is funny looking, almost like a mullberry and a red oak got it on.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_ View Post
                              That sure looks like it. I think they used to carry Mulberry syrup at IHOP back in the day. Never tried it.

Comment

Working...
                              X