Improved actions for hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Improved actions for hunting

Okay so now that I've built a few custom rifles I find myself going away from Defiance, Stiller, and other actions. The reason. They are too tight for hunting and the real world. Any sand, grit, grime and these things are tough to rack. I'm going back to tuned Rem actions with bolt knobs. They simply have the slack necessary for the real world when hunting. Are there any other actions out there that I'm unaware of that have some bolt slack but precision facing and spacing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You had issues with a defiance?

I have literally seen every surgeon action present (4-5) lock up beyond use at a demo day in Lubbock when they landed a helicopter near them lmfao.

Comment

It was better than stiller but still drags when you rack it if you have any grit.

Comment

Travis

there may be other actions out there; however, every GS has the necessary tooling to work on a Remington 700. Additionally there are tons of aftermarket accessories: stocks, triggers, bottom metal, etc... for the 700. With Tikka, Savage, Winchester your customizing and upgrading options are limited

Comment

Yeah I meant are there other Remington patterned actions.

Comment

many of the top action makers now offer a "Remington 700" footprint action which is made in their shop ... BAT, Stiller, Borden, Kelbly, etc...

Most pride themselves on "accuracy" as you can expect tight , machined precision action tolerances. Best option is to call the aforementioned custom action makers, explain your situation, and ask if their actions will work for your intended hunting purpose.

These actions will cost from $1000 to $1600 depending on how you build it. Your best option may be to find a used 700 action and have it trued/blueprinted then re-barreled to your cartridge of choice.

Comment

I'm curious are those you have cerakoted?

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                many of the top action makers now offer a "Remington 700" footprint action which is made in their shop ... BAT, Stiller, Borden, Kelbly, etc...

Most pride themselves on "accuracy" as you can expect tight , machined precision action tolerances. Best option is to call the aforementioned custom action makers, explain your situation, and ask if their actions will work for your intended hunting purpose.

These actions will cost from $1000 to $1600 depending on how you build it. Your best option may be to find a used 700 action and have it trued/blueprinted then re-barreled to your cartridge of choice.

I'm very much aware of all of that. I guess my point is who makes a precision hunting action?

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                  I'm curious are those you have cerakoted?

Actually yes they all are.

Comment

I haven't got to see them lock up like matt did, but I will say that hunting in the west texas dunes is hard on any action, and out of my trued 700's I haven't had any lock ups yet but they will get awfully gritty when sandblasted by 20-30mph wind for days on end.

Comment

Originally posted by mesquitecountry View Post

Could have made them even tighter than designed. Not sure if that's the case with yours but it's a possibility

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                        Could have made them even tighter than designed. Not sure if that's the case with yours but it's a possibility

this....

Comment

Originally posted by mesquitecountry View Post

Bingo. Defiance will even tell you not to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
                            I haven't got to see them lock up like matt did, but I will say that hunting in the west texas dunes is hard on any action, and out of my trued 700's I haven't had any lock ups yet but they will get awfully gritty when sandblasted by 20-30mph wind for days on end.
                            That's what you get for not shooting ole one fork!!

Those surgeon guys were ****** lmfao.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                              That's what you get for not shooting ole one fork!!

Those surgeon guys were ****** lmfao.
                              lmao, c'mon cant kill a 175 the first morning when there is a known two hundy nearby.....

Comment

Working...
                              X