Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
ElWhompo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Comanche, Tx
Default Water Well Questions

In an effort to save $$$ and to get back to country life, the wife & I are considering a little farm house with a hand dug water well. The house needs some cosmetic work (which the bride & her friend having been takin care of), but is basically in great shape. The only rub is that my FIL took a water sample and it came back with e. coli & coliforms.

We really like the house, and the peace & quiet, but this water thing really has her dad up in arms. All the reading I've done on the web states that if the water has been sittin for as long as it has (over a year), then those bacterias develop, but Clorox down the well casing and running the faucets clears that up. We've also read about UV Filters, and under sink filters.

My question for those with wells is ... what is the best option? Do the UV filters work? Any other suggestions? Any thoughts or opinions on correcting?

Thanks for any & all advice!
ElWhompo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
TXJon
Ten Point

Try the clorox and retest. Remember, that's fecal coliform, from poop!
TXJon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2009, 08:02 PM   #3
bigmike
Ten Point

chlorinate , agitate and re-test
bigmike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
turbowhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tilden

Shallow groundwater can be some bad stuff. I've drilled hundreds of monitor wells all over the state and have seen all kinds of contamination especially at the air/water interface. I'd drill a deep well and maybe use that one to water the lawn.
turbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #5
Shane77624
Ten Point

Where is the nearest septic or sewer system? Are cattle nearby? Is there a source of "poop" or waste nearby?
Shane77624 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2009, 09:49 PM   #6
ElWhompo
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike View Post
chlorinate , agitate and re-test
Did that today ... kinda. Did not agitate.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:51 PM   #7
ElWhompo
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane77624 View Post
Where is the nearest septic or sewer system? Are cattle nearby? Is there a source of "poop" or waste nearby?
Septic ... hasn't been used in over a yr. Don't know the exact location, but its in the vicinity.
Cattle ... YUP! All over, right up to the well house. Everything slopes away from it tho. Does that count for anything?
Old 02-20-2009, 09:55 PM   #8
Tx-Burt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie

Ryan,
We did the chlorox treatment every yr or two when we were in the country outside of Brenham, but we had a pretty deep well and we had never let the water not run for longer 1 week or so.

I would suggest looking into all area's around, that may have water treatment sights, MWD, drain fields, stormwater run off...etc with the TCEQ, they should be able to tell you sights or problems in that area. I know they keep a lot of city/subdivision water info, not sure about the country? neighborhoods.

Check the website or call them.
www.tceq.com

The other thing would be to see how much it would cost to get a water sample or well test/check done by a professional?

Good luck, but watch that fecal/ecoli

Tx-Burt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2009, 10:31 PM   #9
Tmag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Depends on the TPWD draw results!

We had a hand dug well at a camp house we fixed up a few years back. It hadn't been used in 10-15 years. Water was pretty crappy when we got the pump running. We hooked a hose up and ran the pump for several hours and pumped several hundred gallons out of the well. We also added clorox to help it out. All was well after that.
Tmag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2009, 10:54 PM   #10
txmasterplumber
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri, Kansas

How deep is the well? Our's was dug by a well co and it's 360', was cloudy when we first started it up, but cleared out after it finally settled down. When they dug ours, they said they hit water about 80 to 100', but wasn't drinkable and wasn't producing enough. The state is serious about their aquafirs, might be a good idea to have a well co check it out.
txmasterplumber is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2009, 11:05 PM   #11
txmasterplumber
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri, Kansas

by the way, I have never installed any of the UV filters, but I do know some plumbers who have, and said that they work great
txmasterplumber is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #12
turbowhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tilden

I'd purge the well of several well volumes and then sample. This will also tell you how it is recharging.
turbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2009, 11:09 AM   #13
ElWhompo
Ten Point

Thx for the input. Sample was taken yesterday ... curious to see how it'll turn out. THe well wasn't run out & recharged, but we'll see what happens. Been doin alot of readin this morn on causes & solutions also.
We really like this house and the area, but it ain't worth it if it'll cause my bride to fall ill again ...
Old 02-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #14
Zookeeper
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElWhompo View Post
Thx for the input. Sample was taken yesterday ... curious to see how it'll turn out. THe well wasn't run out & recharged, but we'll see what happens. Been doin alot of readin this morn on causes & solutions also.
We really like this house and the area, but it ain't worth it if it'll cause my bride to fall ill again ...
By shallow well I assume it is around 50 feet. If you have E-coli it is probably coming from the cattle and even if you treat the well it will become contaminated after every rain. In house treatment systems that remove e- coli are unreliable and requrie constant monitoring and testing of the water. For several years we dealt with this situation and only used the well water to do our laundrey and bath. we cooked with and drank bottled water. We finally got on rural water system. Problem solved. If you can not get rural water consider a new DEEP well. good luck, but stay away from the shallow well for your house.
Zookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2019, 11:29 AM   #15
bughunter
Ten Point

came across this old thread as my well water tested negative for e. coli but positive for coliform and high level of total dissolved solids (1400). my question is this water safe for irrigation of grass orchard garden and cattle without treatment ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bughunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2019, 11:30 AM   #16
bughunter
Ten Point

fyi
well is 320 feet deep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bughunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2019, 11:56 PM   #17
Draco
Pope & Young

It would be safe for cattle and a garden. If you use a sediment filter, and a UV filter then I bet it would test out fine for human consumption as well.
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top