Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-07-2019, 03:36 PM   #1
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas
Default 3 blade sharpening hack

I bought some vpa heads recently and watched some videos for how to sharpen them. Using flat diamond sharpeners and a ceramic rod, i could get them to shave but it was a rough shave and far from effortless. I was a little bummed and thought maybe that's as good as it gets with such a blunt sharpening angle. Then i was fondling some single bevel 2 blade heads that i had sharpened and they are just insanely sharp. Hair just flies off. They have a mirror finish on them because i finished them on a homemade polishing wheel on a bench grinder. Considered trying it on the 3 blades but it just is not safe. Eventually i came up with a plan.

I made a 1.5" wide mdf wheel that i can run in my tablesaw. It is made out of two 3/4" wheels glued together. One is a solid wheel and the other is a donut shape with no center. That is necessary because the shaft is not long enough for 2 solid layers. I trued it up with a flat sanding block face down on tablesaw top. Id just raise the "blade" a fraction and make a pass with the block until it was perfectly round and flat. Then i just added polishing compound. I like the white one. It is important to use it while standing BEHIND the saw so it is rotating away from you. Running the saw at normal speed will quickly over heat the steel. So i kick it on, let it rev up, shut it off, make a pass, kick it on, kick it off, make a pass. I have an easy access on/off switch that i moved to the rear of saw. If you did the previous steps properly, it will only take about 2 passes per side. Now they are stupid sharp and shave very easily.

Attempt at your own risk and don't be stupid. Power tools and sharp blades do not mix well if caution is not applied.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
LeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 03:53 PM   #2
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

I sure hope that is spinning away from you from a safety aspect but if it is then that's not good from the sharpening aspect..

I have a whet stone for 3 blades with 2 stones set at the correct angle..
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 03:56 PM   #3
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...UPHxPa6W7Hd2az
Old 10-07-2019, 03:57 PM   #4
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
I sure hope that is spinning away from you from a safety aspect but if it is then that's not good from the sharpening aspect..

I have a whet stone for 3 blades with 2 stones set at the correct angle..
Clearly stated to have it rotating away. Not sure why you say it is not good from a sharpening aspect. Im pretty positive most bladesmiths sharpen away from edge and not into it. Either way, it works.

LeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 04:03 PM   #5
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanMachine View Post
Clearly stated to have it rotating away. Not sure why you say it is not good from a sharpening aspect. Im pretty positive most bladesmiths sharpen away from edge and not into it. Either way, it works.

I was taught many years ago, by a knife builder, to always push the metal back toward the blade not pull away from blade. Pulling away can "roll the edge".

But hey if it works for you go for it.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:41 PM   #6
wdtorque
Eight Point

Default Happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
I was taught many years ago, by a knife builder, to always push the metal back toward the blade not pull away from blade. Pulling away can "roll the edge".

But hey if it works for you go for it.
Old knife makers were serious about their opinions. That said, either direction works, just take the "burr" off as the final step (stropping or such) and it will be good to go if you have a steady angle.
wdtorque is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 09:38 PM   #7
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Very nice
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2019, 12:30 AM   #8
Draco
Pope & Young

I'm not a 3 blade kind of guy mainly because I could never get them as sharp as my 4 blades. That is a pretty good idea.
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2019, 09:45 AM   #9
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

did that for years with a belt sander and 400-600 grit belts to sharpen snuffers. But I was taught to sharpen the same direction you intend to cut.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2019, 09:48 AM   #10
Jason Fry
Ten Point

Hunt In: a tall tree

I did a poll among knifemakers not too long ago. About 2/3 grind edge down, and 1/3 edge up. As long as you polish off the burr, you're good.

I've taken to sharpening my Muzzy's on the belt sander. Typically away from the edge rather than into it, mostly because that's how the blades set up the best.
Jason Fry is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top