Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-03-2019, 03:40 PM   #1
12thman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, Burleson, Brazos, Brown
Default Acorns! Wow!

Mason County: First trip out to the least to hunt started yesterday but apparently ended last week! LOL Checked cameras on four feeders, up until a week ago great movement and several shooters around. Then the drop happened. Literally acorns everywhere there is any type of oak tree. Some are almost all gone, others are just starting. This morning there was not one deer at any feeder. I have never seen this type of shut down on our lease before. Hope they fall quickly and we can get to the next phase because it is going to be slow for awhile. And it's hard to hunt the acorns when they are everywhere.
12thman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 03:45 PM   #2
eastxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marsh / Central Tx

This is a new phenomena - I don’t think anything like this has ever happened.
eastxhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 03:46 PM   #3
bowhunterhelm
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leander, my back yard

Every year, same song and dance.
bowhunterhelm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 03:48 PM   #4
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Hey, I got an idea... How bout you get out in the woods and hunt the dang deer... If they're eatin' acorns, probably be a good idea to go sit under an oak tree...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 03:49 PM   #5
sharpstick35
Eight Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

this time of year I hunt away from the feeders in the oaks. be where they want to be
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 03:49 PM   #6
topwater blowup
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

That's a great idea ...
topwater blowup is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 03:55 PM   #7
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Hot, Acorns, rut
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 03:57 PM   #8
JonBoy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Doss, TX

Several years back I was leasing near Mason and we had a heavy acorn fall. I hunted the first five weekends of season without seeing a single animal...not one...not even at a distance. On weekend 6 it was like flipping a switch and I was covered up with them.

As others have said, you're best bet is to get down away from the feeders and hunt trails to where the action is the heaviest until the acorns are done.
JonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 03:58 PM   #9
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Its to late this year but next first of next year find a good cluster of oak trees and fertilize around the dripline. Do it again in the spring. Granddad use to do this in Menard at the old family ranch before feeders were even thought of. Those clusters always produced larger and sweeter acorns and the deer would walk past all other clusters to get to the ones he fertilized. My brother killed hiss first deer at one of those clusters. Even after he passed even the yrs we didnt fertilize the deer would still go to those first.
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 03:58 PM   #10
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Hey, I got an idea... How bout you get out in the woods and hunt the dang deer... If they're eatin' acorns, probably be a good idea to go sit under an oak tree...

Which one? Iíve got several hundred.
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 04:03 PM   #11
Rush2Judge
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wood County

Yep, it seems like you can't swing a dead cat without hitting an oak tree at our place in east Texas.
Rush2Judge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 04:11 PM   #12
sjaaaz
Eight Point

Hunt In: McCulloch County, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishndude View Post
hot, acorns, rut
drink!
sjaaaz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 04:19 PM   #13
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
Hot, Acorns, rut
Hot, acorns, rut (I saw a spike chasing a doe. The rut is ON! - actually pre-rut), actual rut

Fixed it for you, Jeff.
Shane is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 04:24 PM   #14
chase15
Eight Point

Quote:
this is dumb. Point me to which of the 250,000 live oaks on our place i should sit. It sounds good in theory but its still darn tough to get a pattern on one in the hill country with a bow.
chase15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 04:26 PM   #15
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Hunt the water hole close to some acorns.
Shane is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 04:28 PM   #16
TA_Fab
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
Its to late this year but next first of next year find a good cluster of oak trees and fertilize around the dripline. Do it again in the spring. Granddad use to do this in Menard at the old family ranch before feeders were even thought of. Those clusters always produced larger and sweeter acorns and the deer would walk past all other clusters to get to the ones he fertilized. My brother killed hiss first deer at one of those clusters. Even after he passed even the yrs we didnt fertilize the deer would still go to those first.

Iíve had success with this as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TA_Fab is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 04:34 PM   #17
Buckwheat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bosque County

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunterhelm View Post
Every year, same song and dance.

Same with us. Every year. Had several target bucks hitting my feeder hard. Sometime several times a day. To nothing and corn piling up. I was holding the acorns would hold off but they didnít read my script.

ďThere's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.Ē -Fred Bear-
Buckwheat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 04:36 PM   #18
Preacher Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper Co.

Quote:
What kind of fertilizer did Grampa use? Anything in particular?
Preacher Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 04:40 PM   #19
12thman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, Burleson, Brazos, Brown

Thanks for all the profound advice! The point of my post was that this is the biggest acorn drop we have seen here in the 15 years I've been on the lease. Nothing more. If you read my initial post you would note that we have oaks everywhere on the lease. In fact, One of my best stands is in a tripod under an oak tree covered in acorns right now. There was not a deer at that area in the last 36 hours. We have nothing that holds water in drought conditions except for cattle troughs that are near campsites so water is out. Just a tough start on our lease this year. That is all.
12thman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 04:46 PM   #20
batmaninja
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
what do you use trip 13 ?
batmaninja is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 04:47 PM   #21
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

I have been known to fertilize around a few oaks and cover it with moss. Not sure how much it helped
Bayouboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 05:23 PM   #22
hogmess
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cherokee and old Mexico Rancho La Zorra

Glad we have a huge bumper crop in San Saba county. Our deer are going to need them. We havenít had good rain in a while. Everything is dead and it doesnít look like we will be getting much rain anytime soon.

hogmess is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 05:31 PM   #23
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase15 View Post
this is dumb. Point me to which of the 250,000 live oaks on our place i should sit. It sounds good in theory but its still darn tough to get a pattern on one in the hill country with a bow.

Well if you don't want to go scout for a likely spot, then go sit your feeder and see nothing... That sound like a smart idea to you?

Beats all I ever heard/seen folks complaining about food for the deer that they actually want to eat. People don't seem to know how to "hunt" anymore... Just go put out a feeder and sit there. The deer are supposed to come...

Don't get me wrong, I sit feeders too, but if that don't work, go find the deer! Good grief.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 05:37 PM   #24
chehunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County/ NM

^^^^Slick, You have way too much common sense!!!
chehunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 05:40 PM   #25
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
this is dumb. Point me to which of the 250,000 live oaks on our place i should sit.
The ones that have a game trail next to them.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 05:43 PM   #26
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

It's almost like the deer can survive without the corn feeders??

In all seriousness, we are covered up in post oaks. I would say hand corn under a few selects ones and near trails or a pond/water source would be even better.
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 06:24 PM   #27
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

I hunt in McCulloch county just north of you.. When the acorns drop hunt the travel corridors coming in and out of bedding area.. They are easy to find if you pay attention..They still travel the same trails.. I've killed some of my best bow bucks like this. It can even be more productive than a feeder on a good day..
It's a strange phenonenon . If Hand corn these travel corridors that act like they are starving even when acorns are thick... Acorn crops don't bother me.. I just switch gears..
ttaxidermy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 06:47 PM   #28
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher Man View Post
What kind of fertilizer did Grampa use? Anything in particular?
I donít know what he used he got it at the feed store. I was just kid. I used Triple 13. I would buy 50lbs sacks at feed store
Old 10-03-2019, 07:01 PM   #29
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAmerica View Post
It's almost like the deer can survive without the corn feeders??

In all seriousness, we are covered up in post oaks. I would say hand corn under a few selects ones and near trails or a pond/water source would be even better.
If you're covered up in post oaks, get down in the thick stuff and find the bigger oaks to hunt.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 09:14 PM   #30
chase15
Eight Point

Quote:
Well if you don't want to go scout for a likely spot, then go sit your feeder and see nothing... That sound like a smart idea to you?

Beats all I ever heard/seen folks complaining about food for the deer that they actually want to eat. People don't seem to know how to "hunt" anymore... Just go put out a feeder and sit there. The deer are supposed to come...

Don't get me wrong, I sit feeders too, but if that don't work, go find the deer! Good grief.

Charlie this topic must strike a cord with ya. I donít know that Iíve ever seen you get riled up. The OP is just venting that opening weekend was tough because of the acorns. I concurred. Activity slammed to a halt all the sudden. Sometimes folks just like to gripe. I glasses a buck on a ridge last weekend from my tree get out of a bed, walk 10 yards eat for 30 mins and bed back down. If a lot of them are doing that right itís just going to be tough. Just like when itís a green October in south Texas, when they have plenty to eat they donít move a whole lot and no matter where you go sit itís going to be slow.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:34 PM   #31
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:

LOL...Come on now !!!

Charlie, you and I are usually on the same page here on this sight but that's freaking ridiculous talk. 4,400 acres of live oaks/shin oak trees and acorns on my side and the landowners side. There is no way in hell to pinpoint which tree a target buck is using living 5 hours away and trying to guess withing a 30 yards circle with a bow. No place to glass, not much area to walk honestly without boogering up your areas. Definitely a lot easier to sit at a desk and say to do it than do it.

If I hunted in East Texas and could "scout" the 10 whiteoak trees in a patch of 1,000 pines that's one thing... but pinpointing one deer and hanging your blind in one tree in 30,000-40,000 live and shin oaks is just not feasible.

I mean its not like you can pre-scout them before season. With that many trees you have to "scout while they are falling" which we covered above . It s not like they used them in the offseason.

That would be akin to telling somebody in South Texas to set up on the blackbrush or cactus tunas on 2000 acres if they aren't hitting corn..... or set up on all the fresh green growth on a newly rained on West Texas property. Its just not that feasible from 5 hours away.

Last edited by Smart; 10-03-2019 at 09:38 PM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 09:43 PM   #32
Smart
Pope & Young

OP .. I feel your pain. This is in our camp area. Maybe I should set up on top of my cabin

Old 10-03-2019, 09:49 PM   #33
BrandonA
Pope & Young

If you are familiar with your property, have access to google maps and can read a topo map.... then you can hunt without a feeder regardless of how many oak trees you have.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:53 PM   #34
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
If you are familiar with your property, have access to google maps and can read a topo map.... then you can hunt without a feeder regardless of how many oak trees you have.

Good luck....
Old 10-03-2019, 10:03 PM   #35
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

I wish I had that problem...our place in Austin Co. is almost barren of acorns this year. Very scarce to say the least.
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 10:04 PM   #36
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Good luck....
Has nothing to do with luck. Pay attention to your surroundings. Wanna learn some go ride the fences (exterior and interior) looking for breaks and where deer cross that top wire or break it. Always the same spots. Then follow the clues. I’m fortunate that I don’t live 5 hours away and spent more time crawling through brush looking for cows than deer. By doing that I’ve found all kinds of hold ups for deer and what they prefer. Little hint you wanna know where the biggest buck on your lease is go ask the Mexican Ranch hand or the guy that feeds cattle every evening. Hell they can tell what time to go wait for them. My Great Uncle was the Ranch Foreman manager of the Whitehead ranches out of Fort McKavnett and Eldorado, thousands of acres. He knew where just about every big deer was and he brought them in like my granddad did.

Last edited by BrandonA; 10-03-2019 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:47 PM   #37
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Has nothing to do with luck. Pay attention to your surroundings. Wanna learn some go ride the fences (exterior and interior) looking for breaks and where deer cross that top wire or break it. Always the same spots. Then follow the clues. Iím fortunate that I donít live 5 hours away and spent more time crawling through brush looking for cows than deer. By doing that Iíve found all kinds of hold ups for deer and what they prefer. Little hint you wanna know where the biggest buck on your lease is go ask the Mexican Ranch hand or the guy that feeds cattle every evening. Hell they can tell what time to go wait for them.

Good luck.......
Old 10-03-2019, 10:55 PM   #38
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Jason how long have you been on your lease? Long time. You don’t need to scout at this point you should know.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:01 PM   #39
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

I would really like to have the time, and space that I used to, on years like this.

I know how and where to find them now. But that kind of time to scout, set up, and hunt, is just not available these days. Nevermind setting up something to get an 8 year old in to without queering the whole deal doin it.

I ainít complaining though, me and him are gonna spend a bunch of time learning this year. Weíll probly push a few deer around doin it as well. We hit the lottery with the kids last year anyway.

Itís supposed to cool off some next week so I can do some scouting and set up while heís hunting without me in Oklahoma...

Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 11:04 PM   #40
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
I would really like to have the time, and space that I used to, on years like this.

I know how and where to find them now. But that kind of time to scout, set up, and hunt, is just not available these days. Nevermind setting up something to get an 8 year old in to without queering the whole deal doin it.

I ainít complaining though, me and him are gonna spend a bunch of time learning this year. Weíll probly push a few deer around doin it as well. We hit the lottery with the kids last year anyway.

Itís supposed to cool off some next week so I can do some scouting and set up while heís hunting without me in Oklahoma...

DMo we have a lot of doe tags and buck tags and we got that fishin trip still. Figure out a date and letís put it on calendar.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:09 PM   #41
joel45acp
Eight Point

Hunt In: Land Baron in Rocksprings TX

I’ve had very little activity at either of my feeders for the last 2wks due to a heavy acorn drop. Hopefully things will return back to normal soon.
joel45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 11:12 PM   #42
Colton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
LOL...Come on now !!!

Charlie, you and I are usually on the same page here on this sight but that's freaking ridiculous talk. 4,400 acres of live oaks/shin oak trees and acorns on my side and the landowners side. There is no way in hell to pinpoint which tree a target buck is using living 5 hours away and trying to guess withing a 30 yards circle with a bow. No place to glass, not much area to walk honestly without boogering up your areas. Definitely a lot easier to sit at a desk and say to do it than do it.

If I hunted in East Texas and could "scout" the 10 whiteoak trees in a patch of 1,000 pines that's one thing... but pinpointing one deer and hanging your blind in one tree in 30,000-40,000 live and shin oaks is just not feasible.

I mean its not like you can pre-scout them before season. With that many trees you have to "scout while they are falling" which we covered above . It s not like they used them in the offseason.

That would be akin to telling somebody in South Texas to set up on the blackbrush or cactus tunas on 2000 acres if they aren't hitting corn..... or set up on all the fresh green growth on a newly rained on West Texas property. Its just not that feasible from 5 hours away.
Thank you.
Colton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 11:17 PM   #43
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Jason how long have you been on your lease? Long time. You don’t need to scout at this point you should know.

Exactly....12 years.....and is why I have been trying to tell folks that it is futile.

There are a ton of different variables in the terrain and LOs that nix your ranchhand tips and other suggestions that I don't really care to get in a pissing match with all of the "acorn tree" hunters of TBH on ....It's just the way it is and I'll leave it at that. We hunt some rough country....rough on equipment driving in general let alone trying to get to the fencelines, rough on human ankles and knees walking, and rough on animals that live on it. Plus I don't climb trees anymore...too old and fat. My lease members that are more agile don't jack with it either. We did some when we were younger but it just wasn't very productive. On the flipside our landowner ( from Arizona before they inherited the place), the grown adult son and son in law do nothing but spot and stalk their 2000 acre family side and have for 20 plus years. They hunt zero feeders. Their success rate is very, very low with a bow. I'm talking 2-3 archery bucks in that time period....and the LO has been doing SandS out west all his life now in his 60s. They kill most of their deer with rifles from elevated windmills rattling or SandS. We are 98% bow on our side so the rifle success does not translate. Add in the time constraints and its futile.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:29 PM   #44
BrandonA
Pope & Young

I know that kinda country very well. My family ranched that kinda country for decades. You might want to try what my family did for decades and fertizes some trees. I walked , crawled and through goats wouldn’t go looking for lost cows and calves. But the more elevation topography changes you have the easier to pin point deer movement
Old 10-04-2019, 12:01 AM   #45
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
I know that kinda country very well. My family ranched that kinda country for decades. You might want to try what my family did for decades and fertizes some trees. I walked , crawled and through goats wouldnít go looking for lost cows and calves. But the more elevation topography changes you have the easier to pin point deer movement

Ok
Old 10-04-2019, 08:47 AM   #46
gonehuntin68
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Victoria county

If your a weekend warrior and live a long way form your lease it’s going to be extremely tough to hunt the acorns. Also, most people that Lease are not allowed to just set up a stand anywhere on the Lease because of the other members and Lease rules. It is not impossible though if you have the time and can scout and set up anywhere. You have to be able to read the sign and set up accordingly. I used to hunt millions of acres of public land with hundreds of thousands of acres of Oaks and would kill deer pretty much every year off the oaks. The same deer tend to hit the same patch of oaks until the acorns get scarce in that patch and them they move on. I was never after a certain buck though and if you are, that is going to be near impossible by hunting the acorns. With that said, I would much rather take my chances hunting the acorns then sitting over a feeder that no deer are coming to or sitting at home waiting for the acorns to disappear. You also may end up seeing a bigger buck than your target buck. You also have to be willing to move your stand location a lot or setup multiple stands. It’s a lot more work then sitting at a feeder but a lot more rewarding when it pays off. For most Texas hunters, hunting the acorns just isn’t a realistic option and I fully understand the guys that don’t want to do it and why.
gonehuntin68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2019, 08:58 AM   #47
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Quote:
What Feeder did you shoot that Elk under (Assuming it wasnt shot in TX)? Use some of the same outdoorsmanship to target a whitetail, whether its finding a water hole, scouting what oak motts have fresh deer crap/sign, looking for rubs/scrapes and even glassing.

I think feeders are a great tool, but they've made many of us out to be very lazy "hunters".
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2019, 09:19 AM   #48
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

I have four stand locations on our place. Two in oaks and two near pine plantations for this exact reason. I will hunt the oaks until they play out. Then, hit the plantations where most of the feeders are located.
Bayouboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2019, 11:59 AM   #49
chase15
Eight Point

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
What Feeder did you shoot that Elk under (Assuming it wasnt shot in TX)? Use some of the same outdoorsmanship to target a whitetail, whether its finding a water hole, scouting what oak motts have fresh deer crap/sign, looking for rubs/scrapes and even glassing.

I think feeders are a great tool, but they've made many of us out to be very lazy "hunters".
Haha you guys dont quit. Cant some folks just b!tch about a slow weekend. We have stands hung all over the place. On feeders/ off. I dont need a lesson on killing a deer. I understand hunting the acorns and that they are eating them but my deer must be as lazy as me cause they flat dont move when they have this much food everywhere. Id rather not go busting all over the place and blow out a big deer by being impatient, if i think i have a pattern on one ill go in but im not rambling through bedding areas looking for a spot to hang a set. Ive killed a bunch of big deer during bow season in the hill country, this aint the first time theres been acorns on the ground either. Everybody needs to take a deep breathe and chill out, we got a cold front next week.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:07 PM   #50
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Quote:
Haha you guys dont quit. Cant some folks just b!tch about a slow weekend.........
Absolutely! We're here to vent, congratulate, commiserate, etc.... First, who's "You Guys"? I'm just one guy replying to your post calling someone elses comment "dumb". I don't think it's "dumb" to find another method when the one you use currently isn't working the way you want it to. Have a good one and hope you have a very successful season!
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top