Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Recipes

Old 10-06-2019, 12:33 AM   #1
WyattC
Spike

Default venison recipes

so i shot a smaller deer this season and i have most of the hams, the back strap and tenderloins. all ive ever really done with venison is fry it, really wanting to try some new way to prepare it. any recipes and ideas are very much appreciated! unfortunately i dont have a smoker either
WyattC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2019, 12:36 AM   #2
WhiskeyTango
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard & Junction

Check out the MeatEater recipes

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2019, 11:18 AM   #3
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

Anything you grind will work for anything you use hamburger for.

I like to cut the backstrap in half and grill it. Since venison is so lean, if you over cook it, it will dry out real quick. Leaving the BS in a large chunk helps to avoid this.

I usually don’t make any special preparations for deer... just cook it like anything else.
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2019, 11:30 AM   #4
WTucker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Votaw, Anywhere else I can.

Do a reverse sear on a chunk of backstrap til it’s medium rare.
WTucker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2019, 10:10 PM   #5
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Regan wells, fedor, paige

https://fromfieldtoplate.com/2019/01...on-neck-roast/

Made this tonight... put in lettuce wraps, siracha aioli, and sliced avocado and it was good stuff.

Osso bucco is on the list to try as well. I’ve gone away from frying and sausage. Of course substitute ground deer for any recicpie that calls for beef. Make fajitas out of the flanks and meat on the outside of the ribs with ragin Blaze fajita seasoning. Can’t beat a simple rare Backstrap or tenderloin
kd350 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 08:05 PM   #6
GigEm'15
Spike

Hunt In: South Texas

Bacon wrap any muscle (sliverskin removed) and smoke until bacon is cooked through is always really good. I prefer to do the eye of round cut from deer and elk like this. The cut is thick enough the venison is still rare in the middle

You can also fillet the muscle into a flat sheet, and add some type of cream sauce - hint spinach dip - to the middle and make pinwheels
GigEm'15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 08:07 PM   #7
GigEm'15
Spike

A great way to use burger meat and showcase the venison flavor is to go to the deli and ask for 1/4" slices of whatever bland white cheese they have that comes in circular loaves. Wrap your ground meat around and add salt & pepper. Grilled the cheese provides moisture to usually very lean venison and doesn't hide the flavors
Old 10-14-2019, 08:20 PM   #8
shwacker1911
Six Point

Hunt In: san antonio

I take the ham and break it down into muscle groups then trim and cut steak like pieces out and cook as steaks or cut thin against the grain and cook in pan with onions and japs to make tacos
shwacker1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 08:28 PM   #9
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

I like to cut backstrap or tenderloins into small cubes and make tacos. Going to try a neck roast this week with potatoes and carrots. Also cutting steaks and cooking to medium is pretty solid. Tenderize out any muscle and make a stew or even fajitas. Any like always, grind some for chili and burger. Make sure to add some beef/pork to burger grind though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
BURTONboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 08:38 PM   #10
BigDraw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas & Colorado

;O
Attached Images

BigDraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 09:34 PM   #11
HogCommander
Spike

For the hams, I separate the muscles into 1-2 lb roasts, apply a spicy rib rub and refrigerate overnight. Then I smoke the roast to an internal temp of 145 degrees and slice across the grain to serve. Very tasty!

Everything else gets cut into steaks or ground.
HogCommander is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 07:00 PM   #12
GigEm'15
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDraw View Post
;O
I saw this and couldn't stop laughing for at least 10 min
Old 10-15-2019, 07:45 PM   #13
Gunnyart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX

I made Swedish meatball last night that were amazing. My typical “go to” is Sous vide steaks.
Gunnyart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 08:13 AM   #14
Raypo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDraw View Post
;O
Lol
Raypo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 08:17 AM   #15
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

I just cooked some venison Parmesan last night and posted the recipe and how to on WildTexasOutdoors Instagram if you’re interested.
Patton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 12:15 PM   #16
Bowdark
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas swamps to Teton County

Pinwheels. A little trickier than with beef or pork.

Fillet out the backstrap: 'unroll it' until it is flat and about 1/4 inch thick. season as you prefer, then Add a layer of spinach, top with feta cheese, then roll it back up, secure with butcher string. Grill/smoke or bake. Slice it crossways, it will look like a pinwheel. Pretty dang good.
Bowdark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2019, 02:30 PM   #17
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.

http://www.grumpyshoneybunch.com/201...#axzz2wOWzKBz3
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2019, 02:51 PM   #18
toomuchsun
Four Point

Family seriously lived on venison as maybe 75% of meat in out diet for years. I think I became a pro but lot of error on the way. 1'st is original handling. Learn to quarter. Goal is to be skinned quarters on ice within an hour after harvesting. The hide leave a lot of wild scent if left long. 2nd let it age a bit on ice. Not a lot but 2 or 3 days is good. Note meats do age slightly even in the freezer. You should notice the later in the year meat more tender. Remove all fat!!!! It is awful. I never ground anything unless for breakfast sausage. Most any piece large or small loves being whacked with a tenderizer handle. A little Worsetershire and flour and into the grease. Do not make old fashioned gravy with the rendering. Steaks soaked in favorite spices and Italion or wine vinigar is awesome. Wait at least a day before grilling. And a big roast can be foil wrapped covered in pepper and a little garlic (bacon is very nice add on) and slow smoked for many hours. Obvious cut across the grain as muhc as possible. Cutting up the quarter? I separate almost each muscle and sort it for various uses. It also make a good crock pot stew with carrots, potatoes etc. Neck meat is a hastle but so good. The ribs, I quit barbQing them. If a deer was very big I use a fish filet knife and get some of the best jerky meat from between the bone. I smoke dry the jerky after soakin in wine vinegar and spices. Takes 2 to 3 days of constant attention but man is it good. Of course it is covered in pepper at beginning which half falls off so not stupid amount when eating. Long winded great memories comments. Sorry but hope it helped. I am always learning.
toomuchsun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2019, 02:57 PM   #19
toomuchsun
Four Point

Oh and one thing I had a hard time with was eating it medium to rare. I used to say "this backstrap is tough". Get it well done and need some good chompers. Same with steaks. I ruined a lot of meat overcooking. Live and learn. (I figured wild game which most is so clean compared to grocery store choice needed extra cook time. Wrong!) My slow smoked items and fried is different. This for lean red steaks and tender loin and backstrap to clarify.

Last edited by toomuchsun; 10-19-2019 at 02:59 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old 10-19-2019, 07:41 PM   #20
toomuchsun
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdark View Post

Fillet out the backstrap: 'unroll it' until it is flat and about 1/4 inch thick. season as you prefer, then Add a layer of spinach, top with feta cheese, then roll it back up, secure with butcher string. Grill/smoke or bake. Slice it crossways, it will look like a pinwheel. Pretty dang good.
Man that sounds so good. Now if I can get some backstrap. Seriously, it sounds like an add to my recipes. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:50 PM   #21
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.

Quote:

These are really good. I also like to butterfly the backstrap and stuff it with sautéed spinach, onions and mushrooms that have been cooked in garlic and butter, add cooked crab if you like. Stuff into the backstrap, truss and throw into a cast iron pan. Seat and then throw in the oven at 375 till medium rare
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2019, 10:19 PM   #22
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Webb/Jim Hogg

Check out deer meat for dinner on YouTube. He has lots of wild game cooking segments.
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2019, 04:47 PM   #23
SpanishMoss
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: TX & AR

Quote:

I do the exact same except i saute mushrooms add pepper jack cheese and spinach and cook until 131 degrees either baked or grilled. Delicious.
SpanishMoss is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2019, 05:08 PM   #24
thisisbeer
Four Point

Throw a roast in a crockpot with some broth and seasonings and make pulled venison. My favorite is to use neck roast but any roast will do. Makes great tacos.

Wet brine it and make corned venison with one of the roasts. I make a few every year. Like corned beef. Just google a corned venison recipe and it will get you started. Makes awesome sandwiches.

Chilli is always great. If you don't have a grinder (Hand grinders are relatively cheap) then you can dice the meat up. I can give a chili recipe if interested. or any kind of stew.

Canned venison. Check out the Meat Eater recipe.

Hind leg roasts can make pretty good steaks. If you make steaks out of them cook them whole and cut the steaks out when done. I do the same for backstrap, which is the best steaks. Never cook over 130°F. I put it in the oven at 220°F and when it reaches an internal temp of about 120°F I take it out and turn the broiler on. When the oven is heated up I put it back in and pull when it reaches around 127°F.

In a dutch oven saute celery, onion, and (carrot or poblano) in some oil. Put a roast in the dutch oven and cover about halfway with chicken stock and a cup of white wine. Add a can of tomato paste. Add whatever seasonings and herbs you like. Cook in the oven at 275°F until roast falls apart. Serve over rice.

Plenty of other stuff you can make with it if you can grind it or mince it. Sauces, hamburgers, etc.
thisisbeer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2019, 05:10 PM   #25
Patton
Pope & Young

Quote:

Needed to see this 45 minutes ago. I want to stuff some strap tonight and settled on cream cheese, jalapeños, diced onion and going to brown some walnuts as well. Stuff in a butterflied strap and bacon wrap.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:14 PM   #26
Patton
Pope & Young

Ended up overcooking it a tad bit for my liking.

Quote:

Going to do that this week, might add some mushrooms and pine nuts. Thanks for the idea, hopefully I don't screw this one up too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2019, 05:30 PM   #27
thisisbeer
Four Point

If you're going to cook the bacon until it's done your going to overcook the venison.
thisisbeer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2019, 06:56 PM   #28
TexanDuke
Eight Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisbeer View Post
Throw a roast in a crockpot with some broth and seasonings and make pulled venison. My favorite is to use neck roast but any roast will do. Makes great tacos.

Wet brine it and make corned venison with one of the roasts. I make a few every year. Like corned beef. Just google a corned venison recipe and it will get you started. Makes awesome sandwiches.

Chilli is always great. If you don't have a grinder (Hand grinders are relatively cheap) then you can dice the meat up. I can give a chili recipe if interested. or any kind of stew.

Canned venison. Check out the Meat Eater recipe.

Hind leg roasts can make pretty good steaks. If you make steaks out of them cook them whole and cut the steaks out when done. I do the same for backstrap, which is the best steaks. Never cook over 130°F. I put it in the oven at 220°F and when it reaches an internal temp of about 120°F I take it out and turn the broiler on. When the oven is heated up I put it back in and pull when it reaches around 127°F.

In a dutch oven saute celery, onion, and (carrot or poblano) in some oil. Put a roast in the dutch oven and cover about halfway with chicken stock and a cup of white wine. Add a can of tomato paste. Add whatever seasonings and herbs you like. Cook in the oven at 275°F until roast falls apart. Serve over rice.

Plenty of other stuff you can make with it if you can grind it or mince it. Sauces, hamburgers, etc.

This was great, thank you

TexanDuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2019, 06:56 PM   #29
TexanDuke
Eight Point

Hunt In: Polk County

I highly recommend grabbing the meat eater book and Hank Shaw’s book BUCK, BUCK, MOOSE

TexanDuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2019, 12:38 PM   #30
Grizz83
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coryell Co, Collingsworth Co, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanDuke View Post
I highly recommend grabbing the meat eater book and Hank Shaw’s book BUCK, BUCK, MOOSE

Yep. And plenty of recipes on Hank Shaws website.

https://honest-food.net/wild-game/venison-recipes/
Grizz83 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2019, 08:15 PM   #31
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

This one goes over pretty well at my house.

SPICY SLOPPY JOE'S

1 1/2 pounds ground venison
1 tablespoon Olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 onion
1/2 Green pepper
1 jalapeno
1 clove garlic
1 can of tomato paste
1/2 cup Ketchup
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons Worcestershire
2 tablespoons Frank's hot sauce
1 tablespoon chili powder

Chop onions, garlic, green pepper, and jalapeno - heat in Dutch oven with the olive oil and butter until soft. Remove Dutch oven from heat and set aside.
Brown the ground vension, drain, and add to the Dutch Oven. Add the remainder of the ingredients and stir. Cover dutch oven and place in the oven at 350°F for 1 hour.
Phillip Fields is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2019, 12:18 PM   #32
Patton
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton View Post
Going to do that this week, might add some mushrooms and pine nuts. Thanks for the idea, hopefully I don't screw this one up too!

Redeemed on the Camp Chef Smoker. Also I realized now this is more butterfly than pinwheel.-left some room for improvement I suppose.

Old 11-11-2019, 12:42 PM   #33
Tex
Ten Point

Saw this recipe on FB the other day and gave it a try. Man it’s good and so easy.
Deer roast in slow cooker.
Add bbq sauce
One packet of onion soup mix
Diced red onion
One can of root beer

Coat the roast and cook on low for 6 hours. Remove the roast and shred. Replace shredded roast and stir in some corn starch and let simmer for 30 minutes.

Serve as a sandwich. I did mine open face and also did a loaded baked potato. It was awesome.

Tex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2019, 04:15 PM   #34
cwbrown
Four Point

Hunt In: Brady
Default venison recipes

Coconut Curry Venison Shanks with sautéed veggies and yellow rice.

1 can of coconut cream
1 can of coconut milk maybe 2 depending on how much meat
3 TBS of red curry paste
2 TBS of peanut butter
2 TBS diced garlic
1 TBS of Salt

Mix everything in crockpot and set to low
Liberally Salt and Pepper shanks then brown all sides of shanks in pan before putting in crockpot. Make sure liquid is halfway up meat, spoon liquid onto meat every couple hours.

Cook on low for 4 hours then high for 3 hours and then low till dinner time
cwbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2019, 04:18 PM   #35
jlp04c
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Fields View Post
This one goes over pretty well at my house.

SPICY SLOPPY JOE'S

1 1/2 pounds ground venison
1 tablespoon Olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 onion
1/2 Green pepper
1 jalapeno
1 clove garlic
1 can of tomato paste
1/2 cup Ketchup
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons Worcestershire
2 tablespoons Frank's hot sauce
1 tablespoon chili powder

Chop onions, garlic, green pepper, and jalapeno - heat in Dutch oven with the olive oil and butter until soft. Remove Dutch oven from heat and set aside.
Brown the ground vension, drain, and add to the Dutch Oven. Add the remainder of the ingredients and stir. Cover dutch oven and place in the oven at 350°F for 1 hour.

or is it.... A spicy sloppy Doe??
jlp04c is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2019, 11:10 AM   #36
booger presley
Four Point

Wrap back strap in bacon season with salt grass steak seasoning then marinate in Tony's chacheres wild game marinade for at least an hour then throw on the smoker

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
booger presley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 10:25 AM   #37
HDFord4x4
Nubbin' Buck

Default Not so much a recipe, as a technique

I have done this several different ways, and have yet to have it be anything but great!

Step 1: Take whole front shoulder with most of shank removed (clean off as much fat etc as possible)

Step 2: season with whatever you so choose (I typically use liberal amounts of Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder and Montreal Steak)

Step 3: Place shoulder in Crock Pot. May need to trim the shank further, or get bigger crock pot, Dump in any sauce/broth/gravy that you want (My favorite so far has been one LARGE Jug (has a handle on it) of Pace Picante per shoulder, choose your spice level.)

Step 4: turn on low and walk away for 6 hours at minimum.

When you can pull out the shoulder blade clean, it's done. remove meat (in any way possible) and shred and either return to the crockpot to mix with sauce, or serve however you choose. I would be willing to bet you will never bother to bone out another shoulder. this is so easy, and amazing.
HDFord4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 12:37 PM   #38
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt

Hunt In: Iowa

Chip Steak....Its a Midwest thing but its awesome. We were introduced to Chip Steak last year here in Iowa. It is basically very thinly sliced meat like meat used for Philly cheese steak sandwiches. We are hooked on Chip Steak.

If there's one thing you gotta try with the next deer you get, it's to have some of the steak meat cut into chip steak.

Just freeze the meat up and then put it on a meat slicer and slice it up or you can have your processor do it for you. Make sure they slice it thin.

You can cook it in a crock pot with au jus sauce and minced dried onions. Cooking it in the crock pot makes it very tender like steak sandwich meat. Throw it on a bun with some horseradish sauce and a slice of white American cheese and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Arrowsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 05:05 PM   #39
Btotheh
Spike

Back strap wrapped in bacon with sweet baby rays honey all day!
Btotheh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM   #40
Horsehide
Spike

You guys are making me hungry!
Made some seared deer tenderloins served with melted wild mushrooms and bacon over the weekend. Served it with mashed potatoes.
Horsehide is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top