Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-07-2019, 12:36 PM   #701
Els16
Nubbin' Buck

Patton,

If you decide to sell a few hunts please send a pm. I’m located In junction and would interested in this.
Els16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 10:17 AM   #702
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

PM sent last week

Got back from the ranch last night. The cold weather really had the animals moving this weekend. I got to full draw 4 times on whitetail while stalking around but couldnít seal the deal. Also had the best day of elk hunting and activity that I have ever had. Called in some young bulls to <35 yrds and got in a screaming match with a monster that was under 100 yrds; just too thick to slip in on him. Later discovered he had a cow with him which is why he wouldnít come out.

Whitetail rut is a ways off but the sika were bugling this weekend as well. No dice calling any in.
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 11:00 AM   #703
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

We got some much needed rain at our place Saturday evening. Acorns made for some slow hunting for the other guys on the lease that went this past weekend. Fortunately/unfortunately there are still a bunch of acorns in the trees. I know they are good for the deer but I sure do wish they would drop another time of year.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 11:18 PM   #704
smacha538
Six Point

Went to the ranch this weekend to check cameras and do some trimming along the road. Weather was great, really has the animals moving.

Saw several nice hill country bucks at the feeders despite a lot of acorns being in the ground.

Oh, we have a few aoudad. Going back next weekend end to see if we can thin them out a little. I have video of those suckers charging deer, and running them off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
smacha538 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 07:59 AM   #705
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney County

I hunted this past weekend. Great weather but Hunting was very slow. Acorns I guess.
Txhuntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 08:20 AM   #706
Patton
Pope & Young

Same here Ford- real nice rain came through onSaturday and we got just under1/2”. Much needed as well. And same with the acorns- some trees have piles of acorns around them and others are still holding them in their branches.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:44 AM   #707
Fordnandez
Ten Point

We got a bunch on the ground and a bunch still in the trees. Like I said before I know they are good for the deer but I wish they would drop another time of year.

What are you guys running for game cams? I am about fed up with the darn things. We have spent $125+ on brownings, cuddybacks, bushnell and a few other brands that I cant quite recall at the time and they all seem to work good for about 18 months before they either 1. start eating through batteries like crazy with very little pictures 2. Take a picture every minute when nothing is in front of it (yes I made sure it wasnt in one of the settings that told it to do that and yes it is on a stable mount and yet it is not picking up grass/tree limbs) or 3. Only works 50% of the time.

I have come to the point where I am just picking up the cheapest ones I can find on sale because I have the same amount of problems with the $20 ones that I have with the $120 ones. I know WGI gets a bunch of flack (rightfully so) but one of my lease members bought 4 of them 4 years ago on sale at Wally World for $15 and 3 out of the 4 are still working every time and the batteries last the longest.

Nothing is more frustrating to me than being excited to get to the lease for the first time in a month or so to see if we have any new deer show up or to check progress of horn development only to get kicked in the coin purse when we realize only half of our cams are working.

So what cams have you had long term success with or do I just need to accept the fact that these things only last 18 months in our climate/environment.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:54 AM   #708
chicken fried
Six Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings,TX

I buy the cheapest and use them until they die. I don’t feel so bad because I didn’t pay as much. Last year I bought 2 Tascos from Walmart for $30 a piece, still going strong.
chicken fried is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 11:03 AM   #709
rosco11
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordnandez View Post
We got a bunch on the ground and a bunch still in the trees. Like I said before I know they are good for the deer but I wish they would drop another time of year.

What are you guys running for game cams? I am about fed up with the darn things. We have spent $125+ on brownings, cuddybacks, bushnell and a few other brands that I cant quite recall at the time and they all seem to work good for about 18 months before they either 1. start eating through batteries like crazy with very little pictures 2. Take a picture every minute when nothing is in front of it (yes I made sure it wasnt in one of the settings that told it to do that and yes it is on a stable mount and yet it is not picking up grass/tree limbs) or 3. Only works 50% of the time.

I have come to the point where I am just picking up the cheapest ones I can find on sale because I have the same amount of problems with the $20 ones that I have with the $120 ones. I know WGI gets a bunch of flack (rightfully so) but one of my lease members bought 4 of them 4 years ago on sale at Wally World for $15 and 3 out of the 4 are still working every time and the batteries last the longest.

Nothing is more frustrating to me than being excited to get to the lease for the first time in a month or so to see if we have any new deer show up or to check progress of horn development only to get kicked in the coin purse when we realize only half of our cams are working.

So what cams have you had long term success with or do I just need to accept the fact that these things only last 18 months in our climate/environment.
I got the bushnell trophy cam hd 20mp.. it has been great so far, it replaced another bushnell i had for 2 years before corn or something broke the lens.. it's probably too close to the feeder and my spinner fires it out there pretty good

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
rosco11 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 11:40 AM   #710
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

I think the element hurt all of them equally. I seem to get 2-3 years out of mine tops. I prefer browning .
Old 10-15-2019, 12:07 PM   #711
ballgame
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacha538 View Post
Went to the ranch this weekend to check cameras and do some trimming along the road. Weather was great, really has the animals moving.

Saw several nice hill country bucks at the feeders despite a lot of acorns being in the ground.

Oh, we have a few aoudad. Going back next weekend end to see if we can thin them out a little. I have video of those suckers charging deer, and running them off.

Definitely thin the aoudad herd the best you can.

I would also suggest that you anchor your feeder legs. They will begin ramming the legs and eventually top the feeder. I couldn't tell how thick your legs are but if the are less than 2" box you will have a problem. Just my experience.
ballgame is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 01:28 PM   #712
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Well crud........ I didnt even think about the corn hitting the camera. I have one Browning that the motion lense cover was all cracked up and it was taking 100k pictures a day. I thought it was due to the sun and heat but I guess there is the possibility that corn beat it up.......... I might owe the good folks at Browning an apology.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:32 PM   #713
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
I think the element hurt all of them equally. I seem to get 2-3 years out of mine tops. I prefer browning .
I do like the Browning interface, picture quality, options and ease of use. However I get two years out of the ones that cost two times less and IMO there is not enough added value with the Browning's over the cheapo's if they are going to last the same amount of time. Also one issue that I have ran into with the Browning's is them eating through batteries. One of mine goes through 6 batteries in 3 weeks regardless of how many pictures it takes.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:39 PM   #714
TwoHighways
Four Point

Corn, or more likely, birds. You can order replacement fresnel lenses from browning, but they are priced ridiculously high along with the shipping.
TwoHighways is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 04:11 PM   #715
Patton
Pope & Young

I like the Browning Strike Forces, they take the best pics IMO for the money. I get 3 yrs or so out of them until I've never used a sun shade but I would image that would improve the lifespan pretty well. My biggest complaint is that there isn't a picture delay between 1 and 5 minutes. 2 minutes would be perfect.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:22 PM   #716
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHighways View Post
Corn, or more likely, birds. You can order replacement fresnel lenses from browning, but they are priced ridiculously high along with the shipping.
I did not know you could replace the lenses, thank you for the info. I will start there but I still have the issue with two of them going through 6 batteries in 3 weeks.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:25 PM   #717
Patton
Pope & Young

What kind of batteries are you running and how many pics are you getting? I run alkaline duracells and can get several months out of them, even in the heat and 500-700 pics a week.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:52 PM   #718
Fordnandez
Ten Point

I have tried several different kinds good ones lithium engergizers, cheap amazon ones, cheap polariod, regular energizers, Ryovac, ect.... I have not tried Duracel but I guess at this point another 5 bucks to try it is a drop in the bucket. It is almost like the battery life is a function of time, I am guessing I have some sort of electrical issue that just sucks battery. I have had it take 1k pictures and sometimes it will take 200 but the pictures stop at 3 weeks.

I saw those replacement lens are 9 bucks from Browning, I might give those a try but I am not sure how not having the lens there over the IR light would make the battery drain and/or take a picture every minute regardless of if there is anything out there.

As I mentioned before I love the Browning's ability/functions but they are just not dependable anymore and that is very frustrating considering I paid $150 each less than 2 years ago.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:14 PM   #719
rosco11
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton View Post
What kind of batteries are you running and how many pics are you getting? I run alkaline duracells and can get several months out of them, even in the heat and 500-700 pics a week.
I just started using the harbor freight AAs this summer, i got to go to the ranch for the 1st time in 2months this weekend. i had 11,500 pics and the batteries are still at full bars. Im on a 45 sec delay, no video. im very impressed so far, i'l see how they hold up

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
rosco11 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 08:50 PM   #720
Birddog40
Four Point

Default Edwards/Real Counties Hunting Thread

Hit list buck from my lease west of Rocksprings

Birddog40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 09:09 PM   #721
Birddog40
Four Point

Few more deer from my lease

Birddog40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 09:59 PM   #722
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog40 View Post

Few more deer from my lease

Those whitetail have some age to them. Shooters in my book.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:06 AM   #723
Patton
Pope & Young

Great deer birddog; I agree those whitetail should be hit listers.

I want to head out this weekend but it’s getting up to 90į... makes more sense to wait until Monday-Wednesday. ‘First world problems’
Old 10-19-2019, 11:17 PM   #724
Charlie
Six Point

Hunt In: Edwards County

I had some luck at my place Wednesday. My daughter and I made some jerky from one of the hams today.
Attached Images

Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2019, 11:18 PM   #725
MUZZYSLINGR
Eight Point

Dang thatís a very nice axis buck there. Looks mighty tasty .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MUZZYSLINGR is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 12:47 AM   #726
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

Nice smokehouse too
Old 10-22-2019, 10:19 AM   #727
Patton
Pope & Young

I've been going out after an elk every absolute chance I can and almost sealed the deal two weekends ago... Called in two smaller guys but I'm not interested in taking a young one (although I have never killed an elk). It's been so dang hot that I think it has shut the elk down but I finally got to do something I have been dreaming of which is have a screaming match with a big bull. One of my best buds and I were within 100 yards of the second biggest bull I know and weren't able to get a shot because of how thick the cedar was. I've also had my bow in hand and rifle on my pack all year until that weekend, would have been ironic to shoot him with a .308 in bow range! I'm the only person I know who had permission to take a free range Texas elk, called one in, and proceeded to pass. I just want one of the big guys so bad..

Old 10-22-2019, 10:27 AM   #728
Patton
Pope & Young

Great Axis, Charlie! Smokehouse looks great too, bet that came out delicious.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:48 AM   #729
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

Really enjoyed the Elk video. I subscribed to the channel.

I enjoy drinking milk on hunting trips too.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 03:02 PM   #730
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Great video Patton. I subscribed. What camera are you guys using. Video quality is really good.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:59 PM   #731
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Cool video, Patton. Good luck getting ol' Whale Tail next time.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 06:31 PM   #732
Patton
Pope & Young

Thanks y'all. Although I can take very little credit- one of my best buds was filming and another one edited the footage.

Shane, I want an Avatar pic like yours!

What's interesting is that is the same bull I called in last year that had a broken beam at the time. He later went on to break his second beam. I was thinking the aggressive tactics would get him to step out the other weekend..

Ford- that camera is a Panasonic VX870, it shoots in 4K and performs well for a camcorder. Photos and SlowMo are relatively limited. We literally picked it up on the way out of town.. The other videos we put up are filmed with a Sony A7II & A7III and a Red Scarlet W.

Last edited by Patton; 10-23-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:06 PM   #733
sbushee
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordnandez View Post
By real treads you mean like tank tracks right?
My cousin in Brady invented the Grub n Rake. Attaches to a skid steer. Cool piece of equipment. Designed for cedar and mesquite removal
sbushee is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 11:03 PM   #734
Shane
Pope & Young

Quote:
Shane, I want an Avatar pic like yours!
I'm betting you have one after your next trip to the ranch.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:53 PM   #735
Southernhunters
Four Point

Quote:
I've been going out after an elk every absolute chance I can and almost sealed the deal two weekends ago... Called in two smaller guys but I'm not interested in taking a young one (although I have never killed an elk). It's been so dang hot that I think it has shut the elk down but I finally got to do something I have been dreaming of which is have a screaming match with a big bull. One of my best buds and I were within 100 yards of the second biggest bull I know and weren't able to get a shot because of how thick the cedar was. I've also had my bow in hand and rifle on my pack all year until that weekend, would have been ironic to shoot him with a .308 in bow range! I'm the only person I know who had permission to take a free range Texas elk, called one in, and proceeded to pass. I just want one of the big guys so bad..

BUGLE BATTLE l Elk Hunting in Texas 2019 - YouTube

Which county are you boys Elk hunting in?

Southernhunters is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2019, 07:33 AM   #736
Patton
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
I'm betting you have one after your next trip to the ranch.
Iíve been saying something along those lines for too long..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernhunters View Post
Which county are you boys Elk hunting in?

Edwards
Old 10-24-2019, 10:02 AM   #737
Southernhunters
Four Point

So I hunt in the NE corner of Real County off of HWY 41...2 weeks ago while bow hunting I swore up and down that I heard Elk bugling all morning! Was this more likely Sika Deer that I was hearing, or maybe Elk in a high fence somewhere, or was it possible that it was actually free ranging Elk?

Old 10-24-2019, 10:17 AM   #738
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernhunters View Post
So I hunt in the NE corner of Real County off of HWY 41...2 weeks ago while bow hunting I swore up and down that I heard Elk bugling all morning! Was this more likely Sika Deer that I was hearing, or maybe Elk in a high fence somewhere, or was it possible that it was actually free ranging Elk?

There are free ranging elk in that part of the state. Read through this thread. Patton and a few others have them.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:14 AM   #739
Southernhunters
Four Point

Quote:
There are free ranging elk in that part of the state. Read through this thread. Patton and a few others have them.

Thatís the reason Iím asking in this thread, just wondering what the true chances are that I have a few around me?

Old 10-24-2019, 06:46 PM   #740
Patton
Pope & Young

Real good chance it was elk, they are in the area you described. Could be sika as well but they don’t usually hammer bugles the way elk will. If you aren’t sure what you’re hearing- Sika usually do 3 high pitch whistles in a row, maybe 2-3 seconds apart. If your close enough you can hear the guttural growl at the beginning and end. The elk I’ve heard sound like what you see on TV.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:09 PM   #741
Southernhunters
Four Point

Quote:
Real good chance it was elk, they are in the area you described. Could be sika as well but they donít usually hammer bugles the way elk will. If you arenít sure what youíre hearing- Sika usually do 3 high pitch whistles in a row, maybe 2-3 seconds apart. If your close enough you can hear the guttural growl at the beginning and end. The elk Iíve heard sound like what you see on TV.

I sure hope it was! That would add a whole new element to my hunting! Really enjoyed your video above! Good luck at killing that big boy!!

Old 10-24-2019, 10:10 PM   #742
Shane
Pope & Young

I heard sika bugling the other day at my lease. It sounds like a young elk bugle, but without chuckles. Just the whistle.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:30 PM   #743
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Some guys on our lease went down this past weekend and said that there was more movement. Deer are coming to the feeders now.

Going this weekend. Looks like the weather is going to be awesome!
Old 10-28-2019, 01:44 PM   #744
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

Agreed on awesome weather! Cold, good cloud cover, high and fluctuating barometric pressure. I’m getting pretty pumped.

And it’s good to hear they’re hitting feeders. My good bucks and exotics were mia last trip.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:45 PM   #745
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

Old 10-28-2019, 02:03 PM   #746
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Any of you guys put out any of those feed blocks for the deer?
Old 10-28-2019, 02:08 PM   #747
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

I put out protein blocks and trace mineral blocks. They get devoured.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:14 AM   #748
Patton
Pope & Young

Trace Minerals yes, I'm not a fan of the feed blocks with ground corn/protein in them.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:18 PM   #749
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

Quote:
Agreed on awesome weather! Cold, good cloud cover, high and fluctuating barometric pressure. Iím getting pretty pumped.

And itís good to hear theyíre hitting feeders. My good bucks and exotics were mia last trip.
Went to the Nueces Canyon Hunters Roundup on Saturday and my wife hunted Sunday and Yesterday morning. She was absolutely covered up with deer and axis. Had 3 axis bucks within 30 yards but too many WT does around to be able to draw. It was a very good weekend for movement
bloodstick is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 01:20 PM   #750
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

Quote:
Trace Minerals yes, I'm not a fan of the feed blocks with ground corn/protein in them.
What donít you like about the protein blocks?