Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-28-2019, 01:52 PM   #1
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Smith and Sutton County
Default Health Insurance rip off

So the wife was having severe abdominal pain this morning so I took her to her doctor. The doctor ordered a CT Scan and sent us across town to get it. When we get here the lady tells us that we havenít met our insurance deductible and out of pocket yet so we need to pay $2689.00 for the scan. I told them that I had one done with no insurance and it wasnít that much. She says ďItís cheaper without insuranceĒ. So I tell her Iíll pay the ďwithout insurance priceĒ. Total out the door is $400. This whole insurance game is ridiculous and really ticks me off. If you have anything done and have insurance make sure you ask them for the cash price too. They were going to let us pay $500 today and pay the balance out monthly if we filed on insurance. Didnít file and got out for $400 total. Grrrrr
BowSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 01:58 PM   #2
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Menard & Kinney County

Wow, nice of her to give you that option upfront

Good lesson for the rest of us.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 01:59 PM   #3
TheHammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co

I’m a cash pay patient also and it’s been ok so far. Only worry I have is if it’s something major, it would be beneficial to have it.
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 02:00 PM   #4
67olds442
Eight Point

Hunt In: Nolan County

That's crazy but I seem to hear this same situation alot these days.
67olds442 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 02:06 PM   #5
Huntsman27
Six Point

Hunt In: Brownwood, TX

And there is the problem with our healthcare system. why is a facility willing to accept $400.00 and presumably be profitable for this service but must be paid much much more to file it on insurance. I understand there is a cost to file a claim and have to wait for your money but that is ridiculous.
Huntsman27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 02:09 PM   #6
Freer
Six Point

Hunt In: Freer, Webb County

I had a similar experience, wife is pregnant and needed some extra ultrasounds because she is old (35). With insurance it's a little more than $1500. If you pay cash, $248.
Freer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 02:17 PM   #7
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.

Obamacare

Prescriptions are the same way. My Kroger is really good about checking both options and many times has told us how much cheaper it is to not run through insurance
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 02:56 PM   #8
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Thanks Barak.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 03:00 PM   #9
Mr. Whiskers
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

I have catastrophic insurance. Always pay cash. Much cheaper
Mr. Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 03:12 PM   #10
abilliott
Six Point

Pre-paying with cash for delivering a child is the same way. Waaay cheaper than what they will hit your insurance for if you had coverage for delivery. $4,500 vs $45,000 roughly??? Doesn't make any sense.
abilliott is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 03:22 PM   #11
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

Auto body shops are the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 03:23 PM   #12
JHT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Whiskers View Post
What kind of policy do you have? Deductible?
JHT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 03:24 PM   #13
Freer
Six Point

Hunt In: Freer, Webb County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Whiskers View Post
I'd like to hear some details on this. How much is the premium, deductible, ect.
Freer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 03:29 PM   #14
Outback
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano primarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman27 View Post
And there is the problem with our healthcare system. why is a facility willing to accept $400.00 and presumably be profitable for this service but must be paid much much more to file it on insurance. I understand there is a cost to file a claim and have to wait for your money but that is ridiculous.
Because, you are paying for yourself and the 10 others who don't have insurance.
Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 03:30 PM   #15
kmitchl
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowSlayer View Post
So the wife was having severe abdominal pain this morning so I took her to her doctor. The doctor ordered a CT Scan and sent us across town to get it. When we get here the lady tells us that we havenít met our insurance deductible and out of pocket yet so we need to pay $2689.00 for the scan. I told them that I had one done with no insurance and it wasnít that much. She says ďItís cheaper without insuranceĒ. So I tell her Iíll pay the ďwithout insurance priceĒ. Total out the door is $400. This whole insurance game is ridiculous and really ticks me off. If you have anything done and have insurance make sure you ask them for the cash price too. They were going to let us pay $500 today and pay the balance out monthly if we filed on insurance. Didnít file and got out for $400 total. Grrrrr
I've done the same thing. Needed a MRI, My cost with insurance was $900. Cash price was $300. Guess which one I chose.
kmitchl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 03:35 PM   #16
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

****, i'm thinking i should have brought this up when i got my last MRI. $1600 out of my pocket b/c i hadn't met my deductible.

thanks for the tip.
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 03:39 PM   #17
ladrones
Pope & Young

The middle man always squeezes the working man.

ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 03:42 PM   #18
Louis
Ten Point

Insurance is a racket. Always has been. Can't afford it myself. To put me on my wife's insurance would cost her half of what she makes every month. Without insurance you get FINED at the end of the year which they take out of your return if you get one. That's extortion any way you word it. Yall got by cheap on the mri's. Had one doe and cost 9k
Louis is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 04:53 PM   #19
roughneck266
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bustling metropolis of Votaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Thanks Barak.
Egg Zachary
roughneck266 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 05:52 PM   #20
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Insurance is a racket. Always has been. Can't afford it myself. To put me on my wife's insurance would cost her half of what she makes every month. Without insurance you get FINED at the end of the year which they take out of your return if you get one. That's extortion any way you word it. Yall got by cheap on the mri's. Had one doe and cost 9k

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 06:05 PM   #21
Huntingfool
Eight Point

Quote:
The reason for high deductibles and premiums is because the government has forced insurance companies to cover every person who applies without them being able to underwrite the risk.

So if a person is getting ready to have a transplant for example it can run well over a million dollars. If that person applies with an insurance company for coverage that company has no choice but to cover them - they cannot deny coverage and they must cover pre existing conditions - so the result is that the person pays maybe $600 bucks a month in premium and the insurance company is on the hook for over a million. Not a good business model for any business. This is why your choices of companies and coverage has shrunk dramatically in recent years - insurance companies are bailing out of the individual health insurance business every day -

The entire system is a mess for sure -
Huntingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 06:12 PM   #22
Preacher Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper Co.

^^^ This right here. It's now mandatory that insurance companies cover pre-existing conditions. The healthy are now paying for the unhealthy.

Faith based health cost sharing programs are not under these rules. They are exempted, which is why they don't charge you a freaking mortgage payment!

I started a small business about a year ago. A classic health insurance plan was going to cost me so much that I wouldn't have been able to go into business for myself without a better alternative.

Its a flat out joke
Preacher Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 06:27 PM   #23
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

It’s all a scam.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 06:28 PM   #24
Spoiled_TN_boy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public Land

API physical therapy charged my Insurance company $498/visit for 1hr . I didn't get a bill for 3 months after I stopped going. Ridiculous crap. Good thing I stopped after 3 visits, otherwise my bill would have been astronomical.
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 06:31 PM   #25
ladybluearm
Eight Point

Sometimes if they know you have insurance they won’t let you pay cash price. Experienced that before.
ladybluearm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 06:34 PM   #26
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston/Anderson County, Montgomery County, Rusk County, Polk County, and Throckmorton County

Quote:
Same here. Never had it, never could afford it. I could buy another house for what insurance costs. My wife had it through the school district for her and the kids but it has gone up every year. It finally went up enough this year that we canceled it. It is an absolute racket. The out of pocket deductibles are so high that it wouldn't matter if we did have it.
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 06:35 PM   #27
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Smith and Sutton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybluearm View Post
Sometimes if they know you have insurance they wonít let you pay cash price. Experienced that before.

It would have gotten ugly if that had happened.
BowSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 06:39 PM   #28
Keith
Administrator

Quote:
I thought Trump had eliminated the insurance mandate? Do you still have to pay a penalty for not having health insurance?

We are all covered on my wife's policy, and JUST ME is over $1000 a month. That's with absolutely no medical questions, age considerations or anything. Any spouse cost over $1000 a month to add. And, it is a high deductible plan. I believe we pay everything until we meet the $13,500 deductible. Thanks Obama!
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 06:47 PM   #29
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

dats nuts
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 07:06 PM   #30
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I thought Trump had eliminated the insurance mandate? Do you still have to pay a penalty for not having health insurance?
He did but it doesnít go into effect until this tax year.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 07:27 PM   #31
Preacher Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper Co.

Trump ended the mandate as Jan 1, 2019.
Preacher Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 07:28 PM   #32
Native Texan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Quote:
Yall got by cheap on the mri's. Had one doe and cost 9k
I can beat that.

I had a MRI last year and the hospital billed the insurance $67,312. Insurance only paid them $3600 which was still too much.
Native Texan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 07:39 PM   #33
MRWHITE87
Six Point

Hunt In: Kauffman county TX./ Delores Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineywoods View Post
Same here. Never had it, never could afford it. I could buy another house for what insurance costs. My wife had it through the school district for her and the kids but it has gone up every year. It finally went up enough this year that we canceled it. It is an absolute racket. The out of pocket deductibles are so high that it wouldn't matter if we did have it.
Same situation. Wife and kids on her district policy. to add me would be an addtitional 800 monthly.I ALMOST had her cancel it this year but she chickened out in anxiety the last day of enrollment last week and signed up for it.
We pay cash for everything anyway because the deductible is still like 5500 and thats a ton of dr visits to meet.
MRWHITE87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 07:50 PM   #34
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

My best friend is a doctor and the stories I could tell you about health insurance. We should have never let insurance companies into the medical field! JMO!
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 09:32 PM   #35
Jon B
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowSlayer View Post

This is insane!
Jon B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 10:26 PM   #36
shiner78
Ten Point

Hunt In: gonzales, county

Thanks for the tips.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
shiner78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 10:31 PM   #37
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman27 View Post
Because insurance companies tend to bicker and ***** and delay payment as long as possible, there fore hospitals and doctors are gonna stick it to them. Thatís just my opinion having dealt with claims of my own. Kinda like being a contractor in the oilfield (which I have lots of experience with), prices are higher when you know youíll wait on your money from 90 to 120 days.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 10:48 PM   #38
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Texan View Post
I can beat that.

I had a MRI last year and the hospital billed the insurance $67,312. Insurance only paid them $3600 which was still too much.
This is what Iíve never understood. Most insurance companies have a negotiated price on services by medical providers already established. Why the heck do they bill an over inflated price to insurance & then you get the letter showing how much was billed but insurance only pays the contracted price?
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 11:18 PM   #39
Nplattii
Nubbin' Buck

I had a surgery earlier this year. My hospital, surgeon, and anesthesiologists were all in my network. I was very diligent in making sure of this. I paid about 3k total for the entire procedure which meet my out-of-pocket max for the year. This was in January. Last week I got a letter from the surgeon saying that I owed the nurse 2.5k cause she was out of my network.

There has to be some legal document I can carry to all my doctors/surgeons/etc saying that I do not consent to treatment from any out-of-network providers (except for life threatening situations).
Nplattii is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 11:32 PM   #40
Draco
Pope & Young

A friend had a 2 stints put in 7 years ago and with insurance it would have been $84,000. He paid it out a hundred a month and it cost him $16,000.
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 11:59 PM   #41
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nplattii View Post
I had a surgery earlier this year. My hospital, surgeon, and anesthesiologists were all in my network. I was very diligent in making sure of this. I paid about 3k total for the entire procedure which meet my out-of-pocket max for the year. This was in January. Last week I got a letter from the surgeon saying that I owed the nurse 2.5k cause she was out of my network.

There has to be some legal document I can carry to all my doctors/surgeons/etc saying that I do not consent to treatment from any out-of-network providers (except for life threatening situations).
This is "one" of my pet peeves with in/out network.

8 months is just too long to bill & 2.5K to one nurse for one procedure...BS. I really hate the way insurance has evolved into.
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2019, 01:45 AM   #42
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

I had a surgery done 7 years ago . Insurance was billed almost 60g . Sister had the same surgery paid cash was less then 8grand .
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2019, 05:13 AM   #43
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

So what's the point of paying for insurance if you can pay less in cash for doctor visits and minor medical procedures? Seams to me that unless you have sickly family members you would be far ahead to pocket/save the high premiums. You can always sign up for insurance with pre-existing conditions.

Obama care is doing more damage to the middle class folks than anyone could conceive... Along with the medical industry lobbyist and crooked politicians this great country is doomed to fail.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2019, 06:45 AM   #44
Radar
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
Because insurance companies tend to bicker and ***** and delay payment as long as possible, there fore hospitals and doctors are gonna stick it to them. Thatís just my opinion having dealt with claims of my own. Kinda like being a contractor in the oilfield (which I have lots of experience with), prices are higher when you know youíll wait on your money from 90 to 120 days.
Boy howdy, I can tell you some stories on that. One of the worst was a waste water hauling company out of Pennsylvania, 180 days to pay. Everything they bought I charged an extra 10% fuel surcharge.

Back to the insurance beef, I had to visit the ER at Connolly Memorial in Floresville a few weeks ago when I tore my bicep tendon. Before I was admitted they hit me for 200.00. I paid but told the lady that is nuts and she said yes and you will be here at least 3 hours, we make sure of that.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2019, 07:30 AM   #45
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hebbronville/Refugio

Sounds like a hospital rip off to me.
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2019, 07:55 AM   #46
bcmuzzy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson county/kansas

Insurance companies are no different from a deranged person holding a gun to your head and saying give me all your money. I despise insurance companies.
bcmuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2019, 08:19 AM   #47
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hebbronville/Refugio

My wife was charged $10 for a ludens cough drop 15 years ago while in the hospital delivering our son. It wasnít an insurance company that made them so that.
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2019, 08:28 AM   #48
mooch
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nplattii View Post

This drives me crazy. When my wife delivered our son we made sure the hospital, doctor, etc. were all in network. The specialist the hospital sent into our room to check our sons ears and eyes was not in our network and we had to pay out of pocket. We were never made aware of this, given any options, etc. I donít see how they can legally do this type of stuff.

mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2019, 08:41 AM   #49
Huntsman27
Six Point

Hunt In: Brownwood, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
PPO contracts have language in them about paying within a certain time frame on "clean claims". My opinion is that PPO contracts are negotiated as a percentage off billed charges not a fixed dollar amount for a service which is why there are such huge discrepancies in price between providers. there could be two facilities in the same city and both in the same networks. they have both agreed to 60% discount off billed charges for an MRI but one facility's billed charges are $2,500 and the other is $4,000. You still get 60% off but obviously one is a much better deal. Again, my opinion is this is the problem, there is no transparency in billing practices, insurance companies and facilities need each other and the way PPO contracts work leave all the power in the hands of the facility.
Huntsman27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2019, 08:45 AM   #50
lilavidhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Richland Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freer View Post
I'd like to hear some details on this. How much is the premium, deductible, ect.
X2
lilavidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top