Custom rifle ?'s (paging Blake) or anyone else with some knowledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I have had a few good accurate rifles with a trigger replace, stock and bed, etc...

Going to take my 700 long action to APR in the next month or two. Going to have them build me their Ranger long action in 280 AI, and a timney trigger, threaded for break and a suppressor once the stamp comes back. Going to run Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 on a 20 MOA base.

I do hand load and I have been able to get most of my rifles with a simple trigger job and maybe a bedded action to 5/8-7/8" 100 yard groups. My question is with the truing they do, a good light timney trigger, douglas barrel, etc... What can I expect for accuracy? I would guess I'd be in the 1/2" maybe a little tighter range. Is that a fair guess?

Blake's on the football thread.

Comment

Morning bump

Comment

the rifle will be built right as PR know what they're doing ..... you will have to do your part

are you going to shoot full velocity loads or suppressed loads with the can ?

if shooting subs, I'm guessing accuracy around 1" ???

if shooting normal velocity 3150 - 3300 fps , then accuracy will be sub 1/2" with the right dope

can you shoot groups in the .2's and .3's .... sure if you do your part

buy quality brass, powder, bullets and prep your brass

personally, I'd go with a Jewell trigger , the upgrade is only another $100

Comment

For reference only my custom 257 Weatherby shoots 5 shot groups in the .2s with factory Weatherby ammo. This is off a bipod on front and a bag under the rear.

I don't know anything about APR or Douglas barrels.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
            the rifle will be built right as PR know what they're doing ..... you will have to do your part

are you going to shoot full velocity loads or suppressed loads with the can ?

if shooting subs, I'm guessing accuracy around 1" ???

if shooting normal velocity 3150 - 3300 fps , then accuracy will be sub 1/2" with the right dope

can you shoot groups in the .2's and .3's .... sure if you do your part

buy quality brass, powder, bullets and prep your brass

personally, I'd go with a Jewell trigger , the upgrade is only another $100
            Wont be shooting subs through it, thats what the 300 blackout is for, I will just be shoot through can on for recoil and sound reduction.

I've never had a Jewell, I have had a few people tell me they are better but I wasn't too sure. I have had a timney and it was nice. So Jewell is worth the extra 100?

Comment

Originally posted by hoythitman View Post
              Wont be shooting subs through it, thats what the 300 blackout is for, I will just be shoot through can on for recoil and sound reduction.

I've never had a Jewell, I have had a few people tell me they are better but I wasn't too sure. I have had a timney and it was nice. So Jewell is worth the extra 100?

you'll end up throwing the Timney in the trash can or using it as a fishing weight

Comment

you'll end up throwing the Timney in the trash can or using it as a fishing weight
                So Jewell it is. lol

Comment

I have more than one factory rifle that shoots in the 2's and 3's (old ugly Savages)
                  No reason why a custom won't do the same.
                  If my custom rifles don't shoot like that then it's not the gun's fault.
                  Sometimes it's just a bad day, me, the weather, the loads etc.
                  Douglas used to be good barrels but I haven't used one in many years.

Comment

All a difference of personal opinion but I agree with blake. I started with a factory trigger and when I got my first timney I thought it was awesome. When I first got a jewell I thought it was slightly better but I really liked the bigger shoe of the timney. But after shooting a jewell and switching back to a timney it was no contest. The jewell was so crisp I couldn't stand the timney anymore. Its a addiction

Comment

But please send me all your fishing weights that say timney on them.

Comment

I used a Hart barrel on my custom rifle 7 STW it really stacks em

Comment

Originally posted by CADDOKILLER View Post
                          But please send me all your fishing weights that say timney on them.
                          trash man picked them up back in 1991 when I saw the light and made the switch

they're probably in a land fill dump somewhere in SWLa

Comment

I personally prefer a Timney over a Jewel trigger.

Comment

I have a custom 700 in 280 AI. I have a Jewel trigger, a Lilja barrel, used a "snug neck" reamer, (brass cases chamber without outside neck turning in my rifle, but if I chose to use nickel cases I have to turn the nickel off) My rifle will do 1/2 " and under most of the time. Pretty hard to get a rifle in 7mm caliber with a 60 grain powder capacity to shoot like the .22s and 6mms, but you won't miss many things wit a 1/2" to 5/8" rifle

Comment

Working...
                              X