Metal roofing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal roofing question

I am in the process of building a 30’x50’ pole barn (not enclosed). It’s a slow process and all I have so far are the posts set. Next is setting the metal trusses, the purlins, then the metal roof. On the roof, it will be a 4/12 pitch. Is anyone familiar enough with sheet metal to give me an idea on the length of sheets I’ll need to get, the number of sheets, and an accurate cost on what the metal may run me?

R panel and such is 3’ wide.

I’m sure someone here can do geometry to figure length. I just measure truss and add overhang.

Can’t help with pricing. I know “the man”.. so my perspective on pricing is laughable at best

Comment

18 ft length
      34 pieces r- panel 36 in wide
      Will cost about 1500 bucks less if you shop around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Thanks guys. I was thinking about the same as sideways as far as the size and number on pieces.

Comment

Why so steep?

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
            Why so steep?
            My question too.

Comment

Most metal buildings are lower pitch than that, 1 in 12 and 2 in 12 usually. Very seldom more than 3 in 12. At any rate, your length is 15.8 ft long. You will cheat your sheets back from center 6" so you should be able to get by just fine with 16' long sheets and you will need 34 of them. Metal Mart price right now for R panel, galv., 26 ga. tin is $1.89 per running foot so cost from them should be $1028.16. Your dealers price may vary.

Comment

BCI is who I have used with good results for a DIY roof. Give them measurements , pick your color they give you all the hardware

We manufacture metal roof, wall panels and accessories for use in projects of any size. Our steel building components are formed to your specifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                  Why so steep?
                  The metal trusses I am getting are standard at 4/12. I looked at a few different metal truss
                  Manufacturers and it seemed that 4/12 was the standard. I saw 5/12 and 6/12 pitch too, but nothing less steep.

Thanks to all that responded, it is very helpful

Comment

Are you getting them from jordan steel truss? If so they have 21" of hang over, you will need to get 18' sheets. I just got finished building one..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

That is dang nice man!! And one he11 of a water heater! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by mbf View Post
                        Are you getting them from jordan steel truss? If so they have 21" of hang over, you will need to get 18' sheets. I just got finished building one..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                        That is exactly where I’m getting them! What size did you get? Are you happy with them? Was installation onto the posts easy?

Yours looks great.

Comment

Is there any cost savings on using these metal trusses? Say on a 30x50? Looking for a generic answer...

Comment

Originally posted by J.C. View Post
                            Is there any cost savings on using these metal trusses? Say on a 30x50? Looking for a generic answer...
                            I think the main benefit is they can be spaced 10-12’ apart whereas wooden trusses can’t be spaced that far. I could be wrong on that. The end result is less are needed, so perhaps a savings due to quantity needed.

I used because I needed the vertical clearance for my camper to fit under. The metal trusses don’t have the lower chord which would have gotten in my way.

Comment

My slab is 30x60, 30x40 enclosed. The trusses go together really easy and were pretty easy to install. I built a jib with 2" pipe and hung them with my fel tractor. Me and my wife put them up, her driving almost knocked me off the ladder a few times lol but other than that it was pretty easy. I have around 16k in everything including concrete and 2- 10'roll up doors. I did everything myself except pour/finish the concrete and install the overhead doors.

Comment

Working...
                              X