GM one month out of 5yr warranty [emoji35]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GM one month out of 5yr warranty [emoji35]

Transmission went out at 58K miles and 5 yr, 1 mo. Warranty for power train is 100K / 5 yr.

Local dealer is willing to work with me on parts and labor. I need it covered under warranty. Any suggestions??? I’ve already contacted GM directly and they require 2-3 days to review the case before a “Sr Advisor” calls me back. My truck will sit at the local dealer until a decision is made. Luckily, I’m out on business all week so won’t need my truck.

I thought I felt it starting to slip a few months ago... hindsight is 20/20. I was a lifer Chevy guy but pending this decision I may never go back.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Wait till you hear back from them. Get it fixed, then go trade it for a Ford! #NeverLookBack

Comment

GM should fix it for you. I had an issue with a Ford that was out of warranty and they fixed it. My local dealer didn't like that I went to Ford but when I showed them the email that Ford sent me, they had to make the repair at no charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
        Wait till you hear back from them. Get it fixed, then go trade it for a Ford! #NeverLookBack
        Yup

Comment

I had the same thing with a Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 extended cab but 5 transmission rebuilds in 85K then the “sun shield” cratered and was like a grenade went off and the transmission
          Had local shop rebuild it and got rid of it last Chevy I bought

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
            Until the rear leaf springs start banging and driving you crazy. Then you will be looking back to see where all the racket is coming From. I have a 2017 FX4 that is on the “ no know repair” list due to the springs banging around on uneven surfaces. Appears to be a common problem with fords now.

Comment

GM has a one time customer appreciation deal that they will do, usually covering up to 90 % of the repairs, I have used it a few times, but I buy quite a few GM trucks, get on your dealer, tell him you are changing brands, tell him you are going to tell the world what happened, usually that works.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
                GM has a one time customer appreciation deal that they will do, usually covering up to 90 % of the repairs, I have used it a few times, but I buy quite a few GM trucks, get on your dealer, tell him you are changing brands, tell him you are going to tell the world what happened, usually that works.

That’s great insight. Thank you. Unfortunately, the dealer closest to me is playing hardball. Basically, telling me that going to GM Corporate is a waste of my time and he could get me better pricing ($4,000 vs. $4300). They did not even do a real diagnostic analysis... basically just said my tranny needed to be replaced. When I explained the symptoms to a knowledgeable coworker he said it sounded like a bad torque converter and should be considerably cheaper....

Comment

Had a 2006 Colorado that had an oil leak at 30,000 miles. Took it in and they said it was from a messy oil change and just cleaned things up. 32,000 miles I took it back and they replaced the head gasket with an updated one. Took it back at 34,000 miles and they replaced the cylinder head along with a new updated head gasket. Took it back again less than 9 months later when the truck had 37,000 miles. The dealership told me the block needed to be replaced(it was a bad casting causing oil to leak out of the side of the block)but Chevy denied the claim and told the dealership to put yet another new head gasket on it. I sold the truck for a $6k loss and moved on.

This happened in 2008 and I have never owned a GM product since.
                  Last edited by 91cavgt; 10-03-2018, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
                    That’s great insight. Thank you. Unfortunately, the dealer closest to me is playing hardball. Basically, telling me that going to GM Corporate is a waste of my time and he could get me better pricing ($4,000 vs. $4300). They did not even do a real diagnostic analysis... basically just said my tranny needed to be replaced. When I explained the symptoms to a knowledgeable coworker he said it sounded like a bad torque converter and should be considerably cheaper....
                    I've only had good luck with GM warranty work. The dealer still gets paid, just from GM rather than you. I hope you have the same luck.

If they tell you no, call around to a few other dealerships and see what they can do too. As others have said, find a way to contact GM directly. I am sure their website has an email somewhere. Just do it quickly, before you get too far out of the warranty.

Comment

I bought a preowned (used) certified chevy a while back. My transmission went out one month out of warranty. I complained and got them to split the cost 50/50 with me.

This post scares me. I am 10K miles from the end of my warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                        Had a 2006 Colorado that had an oil leak at 30,000 miles. Took it in and they said it was from a messy oil change and just cleaned things up. 32,000 miles I took it back and they replaced the head gasket with an updated one. Took it back at 34,000 miles and they replaced the cylinder head along with a new updated head gasket. Took it back again less than 9 months later when the truck had 37,000 miles. The dealership told me the block needed to be replaced(it was a bad casting causing oil to leak out of the side of the block)but Chevy denied the claim and told the dealership to put yet another new head gasket on it. I sold the truck for a $6k loss and moved on.

This happened in 2008 and I have never owned a GM product since.
                        My wife's 2012 Taurus had some very similar issues with oil leaks,dealer blamed their own lube tech after 12,000 miles the oil pan gasket was replaced twice. Then it started shifting hard, and needed a transmission"flush" which is not covered under warranty. Lo and behold we needed a new transmission the next week. She took it to another dealer and traded it in for an Edge.

I seriously doubt that one brand is any better than the other, as I see broken ones piled up at all brands of dealers.

Comment

Was thinking about a chevy this scares me. Have a dodge with MAXcare sofar thats fixed everything even past warranty as its lifetime. Even replaced LED mirror. but thinking ill head the toyota Route. MPG might suck but all these repairs on ford chevy and dodge scares me. Heck second ford guy i talked to yesterday needing new turbos and then had a timing chain let go and blew the little ecoboost.

Comment

Knock on wood I’ve never had a warranty claim denied through GM and one was outside the warranty period. A good service writer and dealer is the key, same for any vehicle MFG.

Comment

I'm impressed. 5yrs and only 58k miles. That will never happen with me!

Comment

Working...
                              X