Zero fawns the past 4 years in a row

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zero fawns the past 4 years in a row

We have 376 acres high fenced in Central Texas. We provide protein feed out of three 1000 pound feeders year round. Plus we plant a few acres of wheat, oats and winter peas every fall. We see a couple fawns either in person or game cam every summer, but none have survived the past 4 years in a row. If this trend continues, obviously we have the problem of the deer going extinct on our property. Over the course of the past 4/5 years we've also brought in 12 tagged pregnant doe to try to increase the population and genetics. All but 2 have died and none produced any fawns that survived.

We currently have roughly 8 doe and 5 bucks.
    3 - 4 1/2 year old bucks (all great bucks. 2 in the 160 range)
    1 - 5 1/2 year old buck (great 10 pointer scoring 150)
    1 - 8 1/2 year old buck (the stud. Scoring roughly 175 this year)

We have 2 large hogs on the property right now, as one or two will somehow sneak in every year.

The only thing I can think of is there is a coyote den on the property? But I've always tried to follow the advice that you enhance the habitat through food plots, planting of trees, hinge cutting to create cover and provide protein feed year round. You will never be able to eradicate all coyotes...but I'm out of ideas and obviously very very frustrated. I put in a lot of work at the ranch and to have zero fawn recruitment for 4 years in a row it really takes a toll on you.

Any and all thoughts and ideas are welcome

I would be out there with a rifle and a fawn distress call and see what come in.

Comment

If your deer are dying you might want to check if you have Anthrax on your property.

God Bless
      Bish

Comment

What part of Central Texas are you in. Too far to have someone from A&M come out and do some testing?

Comment

Originally posted by Bazo View Post
          What part of Central Texas are you in. Too far to have someone from A&M come out and do some testing?
          Bosque County. Near Clifton, Texas

Comment

Coyotes in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would guess a bobcat and/or coyote problem

Comment

Do you set snares in the high fence for coyotes and bobcats? I have 330 acres high fenced in the northwest part of the hill country and I have snared 16 coyotes so far this year. If you are having hogs come in, it sounds like you might have some pretty good sized holes in your fence.
                Last edited by deerwatcher51; 08-29-2018, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
                  Do you set snares in the high fence for coyotes and bobcats? I have 330 acres high fenced in the northwest part of the hill country and I have snared 16 coyotes so far this year. If you are having hogs come in, it sounds like you might have some pretty good sized holes in your fence.
                  The hogs get in through the creek culverts.
                  And I set snares as often as I can. I don't get out to the property nearly enough to stay on top of it though. So if a coon trips the snare, it might stay tripped for a couple months until I can get to it again.

Comment

Originally posted by barnag View Post
                    The hogs get in through the creek culverts.
                    And I set snares as often as I can. I don't get out to the property nearly enough to stay on top of it though. So if a coon trips the snare, it might stay tripped for a couple months until I can get to it again.
                    This is the problem, anywhere a hog can go a dog will go.

Comment

There is a difference in Dying and Dying.....are you finding the carcass? If so have they been killed by a predator or are you finding the body and they just died...Many things to speculate on...need better description....In 376 acres high fenced it should be pretty easy to find out....Fly over it with a helicopter and find the coyotes and pigs and kill them...

Comment

Could it be Mexican Vultures? I hear they kill fawns.

Comment

Could there be a mineral deficiency problem?

Comment

Coyotes, hogs, mexican vultures will all kill fawns. I would start by eliminating the two hogs

Comment

Coyotoes I guarantee. With hogs in there, coyotes are also

Comment

Working...
                              X