Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 08-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #1
Palehorse
Six Point

Hunt In: All over
Default Richland Creek WMA

Well, I have finally been lucky enough to draw the archery hunt at RC. I am pumped. There is quite a bit of info on this WMA here but all of it seems to be from before the big flood and the closing of the hunting for a year or two.

They resumed the deer hunt last year if I'm not mistaken. Did anyone here do the hunt last year and if so, have things changed?

Feel free to PM me if you would like to keep this off the public forum.

Thanks!
Palehorse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 11:21 AM   #2
Katch66
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

I was drawn for RC also this year. I have been drawn at Gus a few times but this is a first for RC other than E-postcard waterfowl hunts. I don't think that any changes have been made to the hunt. You will be assigned to a certain compartment to hunt in. I am pretty stoked as well. There are some good deer at RC!
Katch66 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 12:30 PM   #3
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bastrop Bosque Freestone Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Bag limit is only 1 deer now, I guess because of the flood. Less deer is what I've heard, deer density there used to be better than Gus Engeling, now ???
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2018, 09:52 AM   #4
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

It's been a while since I was out there. Both times I hunted, I had the compartment just north of the highway. From the main gate you go in on the north side, all the way back to the river. There is a couple of bridges on the highway and the deer use them to go back and forth to the forbidden zone.
So if any of yall get this compartment, #16 I think, just keep that in mind!!!
Man, there was a lot of deer in that compartment. Me and my group of 2 others killed 5 does on that hunt.
sqiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2018, 11:07 AM   #5
WTJim
Eight Point

Drawn this year for RC. Hunted the north side last time e I was drawn. Hunted near Pea Patch Lake. Killed 2 doe. Didn't see a shooter buck that hunt.
WTJim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2018, 02:00 PM   #6
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqiggy View Post
It's been a while since I was out there. Both times I hunted, I had the compartment just north of the highway. From the main gate you go in on the north side, all the way back to the river. There is a couple of bridges on the highway and the deer use them to go back and forth to the forbidden zone.
So if any of yall get this compartment, #16 I think, just keep that in mind!!!
Man, there was a lot of deer in that compartment. Me and my group of 2 others killed 5 does on that hunt.
The old 18, 19 and 21 are completely gone, under water now, its all been flooded for wetlands, alot of the north unit has been. Most of the north units left are smaller than they were and some have been re-numbered.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:33 PM   #7
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Wow!!! I knew back then they were working on some wetlands for waterfowl. I hunted #20 or #21, can't remember, with my son on a youth hunt. We saw A LOT of deer, but none were ever in his range.
Never been on any of the south units, but seen some good deer come from out of some of them.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:07 PM   #8
bossbowman
Ten Point

20 was the one along the trinity with pea patch lake in it, its now split in half and listed as 18 and 19. 21 was kinda in the middle and had private land on the north side, its gone.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:59 PM   #9
FlightCancelled
Six Point

Hunt In: East Texas

nice we got gus engeling wma 10/30-11/3
FlightCancelled is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2018, 12:13 PM   #10
CARLOCK
Ten Point

Hunt In: TEXAS/IDAHO PUBLIC LAND

Any word on the flooding down at richland. Phones been busy. I've tried calling..
CARLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2018, 12:40 PM   #11
HELOTESHUNTER
Nubbin' Buck

Got drawn for epostcard waterfowl at RC WMA. Was wondering if you clue me in on how it wors. This will be my first time.

Thanks ,

HH
HELOTESHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2018, 01:40 PM   #12
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLOCK View Post
Any word on the flooding down at richland. Phones been busy. I've tried calling..
Richland is about 55 miles south of where the trinity goes under IH20, but at 20 it is mega out of the banks.
LeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2018, 02:04 PM   #13
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLOCK View Post
https://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/u...cd=00065,00060

try this link. median discharge is 951, current is now at 21K. it's flowing pretty darn good.

I didn't get selected for archery. hoping for waterfowl drawing this year.

Good luck gents!
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2018, 02:24 PM   #14
Palehorse
Six Point

https://www.wunderground.com/US/TX/164.html?hdf=1

According to these warnings, it looks like most of the flooding is downstream. Man I hope this hunt doesn't get canceled. I've really been looking forward to it.

Last edited by Palehorse; 10-16-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:00 PM   #15
Killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: God's green earth

I would bet the trinity comes out at RCWMA. What dates are the hunts? I would keep calling and see what they do.
Killer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2018, 03:13 PM   #16
Palehorse
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
I would bet the trinity comes out at RCWMA. What dates are the hunts? I would keep calling and see what they do.
It's next week, Monday through Friday. I'll give it some time before I call. I'm sure they are knee deep in their own problems right now.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:14 PM   #17
bossbowman
Ten Point

There is a good chance they will cancel it. You will get your preference points back.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:12 PM   #18
sqiggy
Pope & Young

I crossed it today on US 79/84. It's still inside the banks, but full bank.
I would bet the hunt gets cancelled. I seen them cancel this hunt 3 months before the hunt would even start.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:38 PM   #19
Palehorse
Six Point

I just talked with a gentleman from the WMA. It ain't lookin good. A good bit of the property is under water and is expected to rise. They will make an official call tomorrow about lunch but unofficially it will probably be cancelled. Real bummer. I guess you can't control Mother Nature though.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:02 PM   #20
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
I would bet the hunt gets cancelled. I seen them cancel this hunt 3 months before the hunt would even start.

Hey Sqiggy did you get your money back when they cancelled before?

Last edited by bossbowman; 10-16-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:34 PM   #21
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
Hey Sqiggy did you get your money back when they cancelled before?
Yes I did.
Had more of a problem getting my points back!!
Old 10-16-2018, 05:42 PM   #22
edbo144
Four Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I get invited!

Quote:

So you’ve seen them cancel a hunt in July that was supposed to take place in October? How did you apply for that hunt before the book came out? Come on man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
edbo144 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2018, 05:44 PM   #23
bownut
Four Point

Hunt In: Anderson and Mills county

Still raining down here near RWMA. Lots of rain up north the river will come out of banks. My money is on it floods it again and they cancel
bownut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2018, 05:57 PM   #24
bossbowman
Ten Point

Just noticed RC lake is over pool and rising, with all the expensive houses on the lake now they have to pull it down, and when they start releasing it will flood the south unit worse. Bank on them canceling this hunt...
Old 10-16-2018, 06:05 PM   #25
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbo144 View Post
So you’ve seen them cancel a hunt in July that was supposed to take place in October? How did you apply for that hunt before the book came out? Come on man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes it had to do with managing the loss of a fawn crop. Not managing wet hunters.

Come on man!
Old 10-16-2018, 06:25 PM   #26
bownut
Four Point

I'm fixin to stir up a **** storm here I'm sure but I will not put in for this hunt even though I live only 20 min away. when I seen the buck that the guy that runs the place shot out there and found out that he don't let no one hunt that area ****** me off. Also they let a GW go in there and hunt and killed a monster. I would like to know if he put in his draw hunts. I used to put in there for about 5 yrs and never got drawn there,then when I found all this out about the GW and the guy that runs the place i never decided to hunt there again. My opinion it's run by somebody that it shouldn't be run by. I'm sure somebody could find a pic of the buck that the GW killed and post it. It just to fishy to me.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:16 PM   #27
bossbowman
Ten Point

Its a shame how restricted the RC WMA is compared to when it was type 2 land before 2001 and you could bowhunt it all deer season long, but this is a safety issue, this place floods bad quick. I'm sure its a nightmare scenario for them having a bunch of guys back in there and the water starts rising. But I agree with you on some points and have heard the stories of the tpwd guys managing the place hunting it themselves and treating it like their own deer lease...

Last edited by bossbowman; 10-16-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:26 PM   #28
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbo144 View Post

Never said I applied for a hunt that been cancelled in July. I'm not sure when TPWD sets the dates for the draw hunts, but I would bet it's by June since the hunts are posted early July. All I said was I seen them post the hunt for RC, and by the time you could apply for that hunt, they had already cancelled the hunt for Oct.
Come on man, keep up!!!
Old 10-16-2018, 11:34 PM   #29
sqiggy
Pope & Young

I don't remember what year it was, but it flooded during the summer and TPWD cancelled the hunts for that fall, even though it was all dried up by Oct. It was also cancelled the next year as well.
Somebody posted some pics of that flood.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:34 PM   #30
Palehorse
Six Point

It's official. The archery hunt has been cancelled.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:51 PM   #31
Katch66
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palehorse View Post
It's official. The archery hunt has been cancelled.
Yea, just got the email and phone call. Dang it! Been putting in for several years and this was my first time to be drawn. Oh well, nothing you can do about a river flooding.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:56 PM   #32
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bownut View Post
I'm fixin to stir up a **** storm here I'm sure but I will not put in for this hunt even though I live only 20 min away. when I seen the buck that the guy that runs the place shot out there and found out that he don't let no one hunt that area ****** me off. Also they let a GW go in there and hunt and killed a monster. I would like to know if he put in his draw hunts. I used to put in there for about 5 yrs and never got drawn there,then when I found all this out about the GW and the guy that runs the place i never decided to hunt there again. My opinion it's run by somebody that it shouldn't be run by. I'm sure somebody could find a pic of the buck that the GW killed and post it. It just to fishy to me.
This is speculation on my part but most likely the GW hunted a standby spot. Standby spots are from people that did not show up or pay their permit fee. Anyone can show up the day of the hunt and put their name in the hat. I have hunted draw hunts this way. You just need a pretty flexible work schedule to make it work. You not wanting to hunt it because of those rumors is hurting no one but you. There are great deer there. I promise you the guy running it doesn't have them all locked up in a secret spot.
LeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 03:56 PM   #33
noflyzone
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katch66 View Post
Yea, just got the email and phone call. Dang it! Been putting in for several years and this was my first time to be drawn. Oh well, nothing you can do about a river flooding.
sorry to hear that. there are some big buck genetics in that WMA
noflyzone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 06:11 PM   #34
RShockley
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public Lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by bownut View Post
Is this a heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend of a friend scenario? I just doubt the are canceling hunts for the sole purpose of keeping it to themselves.
RShockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 06:14 PM   #35
RShockley
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public Lands

I got drawn for the waterfowl hunt last weekend of duck season.
RShockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 07:29 PM   #36
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShockley View Post
Is this a heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend of a friend scenario? I just doubt the are canceling hunts for the sole purpose of keeping it to themselves.
Theres just been rumors for a long time, they really should rotate WMA managers around more often, one guy staying in the same place for so long is not good and fishy.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:38 PM   #37
bownut
Four Point

Quote:
Just telling you what I know. And no it's not from a friend. And I do know there are good deer there. I just choose not to hunt it. Good luck if you get drawn. Hope you get one
Old 10-18-2018, 11:50 PM   #38
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Quote:
I got drawn for the waterfowl hunt last weekend of duck season.
Good for you. Mine shows pending 2nd draw. Hoping I get picked.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:09 PM   #39
Txaggie16
Spike

Hunt In: Waller, Texas

Good luck to all of you!
Txaggie16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 12:27 PM   #40
bossbowman
Ten Point

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/.../eo_18-004.pdf
Are they not going to cancel the youth hunt this weekend?
Old 10-22-2018, 04:11 PM   #41
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hate to hear this on the cancelation. Good quality deer on that place. In reference to the buck killed by the Game Warden, I saw a picture of that buck and it was a beast. If I remember correctly it scored in the 170s. I’ve never put in for the draw hunt but I have some friends that used to hunt it when it was walk in years ago. Tons of hogs & deer on that place
HogHunter34 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 11:07 PM   #42
Palehorse
Six Point

Ain't no big deal on the hunt cancellation. Me and two other guys that drew Richland Creek this week came up here to Matador WMA for the archery mule deer hunt and we all got picked for standby!
Old 10-23-2018, 10:42 AM   #43
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Ain't no big deal on the hunt cancellation. Me and two other guys that drew Richland Creek this week came up here to Matador WMA for the archery mule deer hunt and we all got picked for standby!
Is anything getting killed? Last time I was there out middle compartment was pretty frustrating to bowhunt. Only thing brought in by the entire group of hunters in 5 days was one little whitetail doe.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:14 PM   #44
Palehorse
Six Point

Quote:
Is anything getting killed? Last time I was there out middle compartment was pretty frustrating to bowhunt. Only thing brought in by the entire group of hunters in 5 days was one little whitetail doe.
I don't know. The hunt just started yesterday evening and I don't think anything was taken. I'm actually seeing a lot of mule deer but nothing that's legal. They have new antler restrictions where they have to be outside the ears just like whitetail. On a muley, that's a big spread. It is also muley buck or whitetail doe only. No whitetail bucks.
As far as it being frustrating, bow hunting mule deer is going to be frustrating. It's not supposed to be easy. Even if it doesn't work out on this hunt, I'm still having more fun than a barrel of monkeys.
Right now, I'm taking a break, eating a cold can of raviolis on a ridge of a canyon. Life is good.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:27 PM   #45
m10
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: East, South, hill country

They have cancelled the youth hunt. Posted on FB. Im drawn for the GDE hunt the Nov 5-9. prolly will get cancelled too.
m10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2018, 04:28 PM   #46
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
I don't know. The hunt just started yesterday evening and I don't think anything was taken. I'm actually seeing a lot of mule deer but nothing that's legal. They have new antler restrictions where they have to be outside the ears just like whitetail. On a muley, that's a big spread. It is also muley buck or whitetail doe only. No whitetail bucks.
As far as it being frustrating, bow hunting mule deer is going to be frustrating. It's not supposed to be easy. Even if it doesn't work out on this hunt, I'm still having more fun than a barrel of monkeys.
Right now, I'm taking a break, eating a cold can of raviolis on a ridge of a canyon. Life is good.
They've had antler restrictions on that WMA for probably over 15 years, used to be 4 points on one side for muleys.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:40 AM   #47
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by m10 View Post
They have cancelled the youth hunt. Posted on FB. Im drawn for the GDE hunt the Nov 5-9. prolly will get cancelled too.
Bummer for those kids, they should really just postpone the hunt and let everyone drawn hunt next year like hagerman is doing...
Old 10-25-2018, 03:14 PM   #48
Katch66
Ten Point

Quote:
Bummer for those kids, they should really just postpone the hunt and let everyone drawn hunt next year like hagerman is doing...
You got my vote!
Old 10-28-2018, 12:28 PM   #49
m10
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: East, South, hill country

One more week til GDE. Praying for good weather and and the place to dry out.
Hope this one doesn’t get cancelled. Anyone else draw?
m10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2018, 02:59 PM   #50
WTJim
Eight Point

They didn’t cancel this hunt as well? The trinity continued rising after they cancelled the archery hunt we drew after 10 years of putting in...I have family with fish camp in Yard on Greens Bluff down river from RC
WTJim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top