Question about attaching putting to a house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about attaching putting to a house

Do any of you guys have any experience attaching a purlin/receiver to a brick wall of a house. I'm wanting to add a roof over a deck on the back of our house. I'm wondering what type of anchor system I need to use. The side opposite of the house will be supported by square tubing buried an set in concrete.

Put posts next to the brick wall, do not attach to the brick!

Comment

Originally posted by furtrapper View Post
      Put posts next to the brick wall, do not attach to the brick!
      Yea I was worried I may get that response. I'm limited to space with an existing wood deck.

Comment

Here's what I did. Best 1800 bucks I ever spent. Covered 24 foot on one side a 20 on the other. Posts concrete anchored to the slab and welded.

Mis-calculation in cutting my posts caused the purlin to be placed flat

Comment

How old is the house and how much weight is going on top of it?

Basically if you want to use some tapcon screws and screw a cedar 2x8 and run some cedar 2x4's on it, I don't think you'll hurt anything. However if you are going to put shingles on it on it and some weight I recommend the post route.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
            Here's what I did. Best 1800 bucks I ever spent. Covered 24 foot on one side a 20 on the other. Posts concrete anchored to the slab and welded.

Mis-calculation in cutting my posts caused the purlin to be placed flat

This is exactly what I'm looking to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle19 View Post
              How old is the house and how much weight is going on top of it?

Basically if you want to use some tapcon screws and screw a cedar 2x8 and run some cedar 2x4's on it, I don't think you'll hurt anything. However if you are going to put shingles on it on it and some weight I recommend the post route.
              I'm looking at using receiver channel and r-panel sheets for the lid.

Comment

I did mine roughly 8 or 9 years ago. Set posts to existing slab and framed. Then screwed r panel. Never an issue and its stout!! You can walk on it without an issue. Can't coint the compliments I get on it. Bought all my steel from metal mart in Conroe. FIL helped me cut and set posts then lent me his 115v welding machine and I worked on it before work. Took me about 2 weeks from posts to paint.

I can send more pics and offer and advice you need. Very happy with how mine turned out

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Brick is a façade and has no structural value.
                  As furtrapper said, set posts next to the wall and build off of those.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                    This...don't attach anything structural to the bricks.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                      Period.

Comment

I need the no peein sign.

Comment

Can you not pull up the boards next to the house and set those posts and lay the boards back down (trimmed around the new posts) ? Or beef-up the deck and weld plates to the bottom of the posts and screw them to the deck.

Comment

Working...
                          X