Best forage Peas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best forage Peas

We plant peas every year and some years they are not destroyed by the seer and some they are. Looking for a forage pea that will resprout

Apparently no one responded to your thread. I will be glad to breathe life into it....hopefully. The common things to plant is Soybeans and Iron Clay Peas. With soybeans you get a bunch of options, various different types of Forage beans and Production beans, with ICP you get basically one choice, as far as I know. You will also get varying responses to the success of deer browsing what you plant. I personally have seen nothing as good as Soybeans. If you live in a water difficient area of the state you may have to try something else.

Comment

Thanks! I have the ability to flood irrigate. So water is not an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wish I had tried soybeans this year.
        It has been raining All spring on us.
        Let us know how it goes

BP

Comment

I've had good luck on some properties with IC peas, but if you have a high deer density, you better plant a bunch. The deer love IC peas.

Comment

Eagle brand soybeans are a great forage bean

Comment

Is there a place to get them around central Texas? I had to get them from Florida before and it cost an are and a leg to ship

Comment

Comment

I bought my Eagle beans through deerage.com. Some Helena Chemical locations are dealers.

Comment

Got mine from specialty seeds

Comment

I’ve been planting Laredo soybeans for the last 4 years. Great results.

Comment

Originally posted by Bofly View Post
                        This...we've had good experience as well.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                          I’ve been planting Laredo soybeans for the last 4 years. Great results.
                          My first year to plant Laredo Beans this year.

Comment

I’ve used iron clay peas, which are black eyed peas.

Deer decimate them as soon as they sprout. They suck the buds off and leave nothing but stems.

They sprout in just about 7 days. Do not need to be buried in just lightly dusted.

Some do not sprout, 80% do. They will grow again but it might be the 20% that never sprouted ?

I simply disc my plot, cast seed, and roll them in. Using a roller might push some seed too deep ? But I like the plot being a bit firmer so I can spot fresh track etc and weed sprout.

I love iron clay peas. Soybeans as far as I know won’t grow well in my area as far as I know.

Comment

Working...
                            X