polyurethane finish question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

polyurethane finish question

New corner china cab. construction. Used ZAR polyurethane because it was cheaper. Normally use Minwax. First coat was kinda rough but I got the high dollar POLY brush @ WM. Had never used it before but also had never used the ZAR poly either.

Didn't like the brush stroke finish I got so I sanded down with 800 grit SP. I now have a dull finish which is NOT what I wanted. I like gloss on my furniture, Just my personal preference. Even 0000 steel wool & furniture polish didn't help.

This cabinet was to match another corner cab in the dining room. It is close but no cigar.

Don't want to sand any more of the poly off and don't want to apply any more.
    Any suggestions?
    Last edited by locolobo; 03-14-2019, 07:03 PM.

fine or ultra fine scotch bright and soapy water should bring back the shine. lots of video's on youtube

Comment

You need to reapply a clear coat to get the gloss you want and recommend spraying.

Comment

Im not much help to you on this, but I just accidentally spilled a half a quart of poly on my shelf this afternoon so I expect that sucker to be extra shiny! Man I hate painting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
          Im not much help to you on this, but I just accidentally spilled a half a quart of poly on my shelf this afternoon so I expect that sucker to be extra shiny! Man I hate painting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Haha. As I was laying out the doors on a bench to lay on the poly, I knocked an unopened quart off the bench. Lid popped off and poly all over the garage floor. That's why I bought the Zar, as it was cheaper.

Comment

was the zar poly a gloss finish (many are sold in matte and satin)? oil or water based?

you need a gloss finish poly and sand in between each coat lightly (400 grit or so) i would go 3 coats. then wet sand the last coat with water and some 4000 grit.

you can try gloss lacquer too - put it on thick and the brush marks will disappear. wear a respirator though!

Comment

I only use a foam brush with polyurethane.

Comment

I do a variety. Sometimes I'll mix BLO (boiled linseed oil) with Poly and a dash of Penetrol to flow better. Other times I'll use just Polyurethane and Penetrol to thin it to apply with a foam brush or I'll just hand rub it.

At your point I'd wax it to get a shine. Johnson's wax or Briwax work great.

Comment

I'll second the "your gonna have to add another coat". I used zar as a boy but haven.t used it in 40 years.

Comment

Is it water or oil based poly?

This is how I finish with oil based poly. First coat is thin, let cure and then lightly sand and wipe off sanding with Mineral Spirits. 2nd coat is thicker and repeat sanding and Mineral Spirits. 3rd even thicker and repeat until you have the shine you want. When done with the poly, rinse brush with mineral spirits and water to keep the brush from drying out.

Just finished the 3rd coat on this table and have 2 more to go...
                    Attached Files

Comment

Mineral spirits will strip the clear coating off if used heavy. Steel wool and re-apply is the best method.

Originally posted by Tsnow View Post
                      Is it water or oil based poly?

This is how I finish with oil based poly. First coat is thin, let cure and then lightly sand and wipe off sanding with Mineral Spirits. 2nd coat is thicker and repeat sanding and Mineral Spirits. 3rd even thicker and repeat until you have the shine you want. When done with the poly, rinse brush with mineral spirits and water to keep the brush from drying out.

Just finished the 3rd coat on this table and have 2 more to go...

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                        Mineral spirits will strip the clear coating off if used heavy. Steel wool and re-apply is the best method.
                        Never had that happened. Especially if you let the coats have their cure time. I do use 0000 steel wool with furniture wax after the very last coat cures.

Comment

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
                          I'll second the "your gonna have to add another coat". I used zar as a boy but haven.t used it in 40 years.
                          X3 try it you will be surprised good luck
                          How about a picture

Comment

Working...
                          X