Measurement Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
    When measuring tine length, where is the reference point on the main beam? Do we measure from where the tine meets the main beam? Mid point of the main beam? Some other reference point? I know that the measurement is taken along the outer edge of the tine.

Also, when measuring mass, on an eight point there is a mass measurement between the G3 and tip of the main beam. On a ten, is there a corresponding measurement between the G4 and the beam tip or is the last mass measurement between the G3 and G4?
    ALWAYS 4 mass measurements per side, no matter how many points there are. ALWAYS. ALWAYS 4 per side for a total of 8 mass measurements. ALWAYS. I'm stressing that because I see it WAY too often on here where people are incorrect.

And you don't always have to follow the OUTER edge of the tine. You can follow the inside if it is longer. For example, if a tine bends or curves outward, you will likely want to measure it from the inside. Make sense?

Originally posted by pigstika1978 View Post
    This should help on your tine length measuring. You DO NOT go to the middle of the beam like some suggested.

Comment

Easiest reference for me to where to start the tine length is to lay a cable/string along the top of the beam and wherever it crosses the tine is where you start the measurement. The cable/string lies along the beam as if the tine wasn't there.

As Chance said, always 4 circumference measurements (H1-H4) on each antler regardless if it is a spike or however many tines on an antler. Doesn't matter if you think you should measure more circumferences, it gets 4.

Spike on 1 side, you take the circumference halfway from the base to the tip and count/write that 4 times.

6pt measurements are base to G1, G1 and G2, G2-tip halfway point twice

8 point, base-G1, G1-G2, G2-G3 and you measure halfway from the tip of the beam to the middle of the G-3 and count it

10+ point, base-G1, G1-G2, G2-G3, G3-G4, that's it

And it is always the smallest measurement between those 2 reference points.

I am not sure about the curved tine though, I believe you can only measure the G-1 front or back, whichever is longer. I don't believe you can do that to any other tines.

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
        I had an outdoor book when I was a kid and it had a score sheet in it in the back. It’s reference was half way down the main beam, that’s how I’ve always done it

That’s why we’re seeing all the high scores on here! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
          Los Cazadores scores w a loose tape. Usually off by a few inches to the good vs actual B&C score.
          Los Cazadores apparently has there own way of scoring deer.....They posted a picture of a clean 6 point a few weeks ago with the score sheet attached. Both h4 measurements were different than the h3 measurements. So basically they took two different measurements between the h2 and tip of main beam. The h4 should be a duplicate of the h3 measurement on each side. Hard to believe that the largest deer contest in the state doesn't know how to score a deer.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
            Los Cazadores scores w a loose tape. Usually off by a few inches to the good vs actual B&C score.
            I killed a book deer several years ago. Had it scored by four different places/people. One was an official B&C measurer in order to qualify for the book, one was for official Texas Big Game awards, one was Los Cazadores, and one was Freer Deer camp. All four came out within 2/8ths of each other on the gross and net score.

Comment

Originally posted by zanemanaggie View Post
              i think some people measure like this
              Haha yep. I have seen some strange methods over the years.

Comment

Working...
              X