EastTX Huntin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EastTX Huntin

Anybody hunt the public lands in EastTX? I have researched some of the land abailable to deer hunt and wondering what locations might hold some good deer?

I'm in Nacogdoches so I will be looking for land that is around an hour drive or less that I could hunt. Any suggestions?

Are game cameras allowed on public land?

Probably not the smartest idea if they are but could be useful if well hidden and checked regularly.

Comment

Davey Crockett, Sabine, Alabama Creek, There is land around Sam Rayburn and Toledo. There are "some" good deer and several more lesser deer.

Comment

I use trail cams all the time on public land. I just hide them well and check them at least once a week. This is through the summer. Once season opens, I will not put cameras out. If you are bowhunting, you can drive about 10 mile towards Lufkin and hunt on Alazan Bayou WMA.

You will need a Type II permit to hunt there.
        The next closest public land is probably Davy Crockett NF.

Comment

I like Alabama Creek WMA , saw 2 nice bucks there last year . Did not get a shot at either , but kept me coming back all season.

Comment

Alazan is a great place. Do a quick search, you will find a fair bit about it.

Eagle

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStarV View Post
              I'm in Nacogdoches so I will be looking for land that is around an hour drive or less that I could hunt. Any suggestions?
              Yellow Dog in Panola Co, just northeast of ya. It's type II. All Sabine River bottom land.

Comment

Davy Crockett is a good place...one of my hunting buddies shot a real nice 140 there last season.

Comment

Is it rifle or just bow on public land over there?

Comment

If you go to the TPWD web page and look at public land it has all the info on which one you can hunt rifle.

Comment

try sabine national forest in the boles field area lots of deer.

Comment

I know you can hunt in parts of the angelina national forest on the northeast side of sam rayburn but i think it is restricted to a certain part of the park.. i have always been curious about what the park holds bc i have land a few miles upstream that is part of the attoyac river bottoms and have seen a few good deer in the past few years and have always wondered if it would be worth my wild to go thru the trouble to hunt the public land...

Comment

Boles field does have a lot of deer but it also has a lot of hunters. Try SE of Boles field, a mile or two from lake Toledo Bend.

Comment

davy crockett

houston co. national forest probably has more deer and better bucks for public land in east texas. about 30min from nac. i have killed some good deer on the davy crockett land, been hunting there for about 12 yrs. If you want to see alot of bucks that have been killed from these parts go to the store in ratcliff and look at all the pics.
                            Last edited by hog wild; 10-27-2010, 08:04 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

thick

Comment

Working...
                              X