Matador Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matador Turkey

I was lucky enough to get drawn for a turkey hunt at Matador WMA. Has anyone hunted Matador or the surrounding area? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Try to get a pasture that has the river in it. The closer to the river, the better for turkey.

Comment

Hunted the first gun Deer hunt in 2014, hunted in compartments Dogleg and Mouth of River. The Middle Pease River is narrow most of the time with large long skinny pockets of spring fed water. Some large trees isolated along the river. Mostly thick cedar mixed with mesquite in the draws and open tall grass on the flats. Very little access roads running through the compartments which means lots of walking. When I was there in Nov the grass was about waist high in my compartment which made for very tough hunting. I did not see or hear a turkey the week I was there. There are a lot of coyotes, lots of stock watering areas and I bet in the warm months the snakes are bad. Don't stay in Paducah either camp there at the WMA or stay in Childress 20 miles north. I saw a few hogs but once again the grass was so tall they stayed along the roads and fence lines. Take your most comfy snake boots because you will do some walking.

Comment

Thanks for the great advice, guys. I will definitely have my snake boots.

Comment

Working...
        X