Stolen gun recovered!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stolen gun recovered!

Just had fedex show up some paperwork. Just got a certified package from the Us department of justice . The ATF branch . Seems my g29 had been recovered. Looks like I might be a pain to get it back . They sent me a notice of seizure of property and initiation of administrative forfeiture process forms .
    Has anyone here had to deal with this ? Any idea what all I need to do ? I’m guessing it was used in a crime or Pawned for the ATF to have my gun .

You would just leave it in your truck at Academy for the next banger. Good luck.......

Comment

Could have just been in a car that was stopped. Cop ran it and it came back stolen. They held it. Now they want to give it back. Shouldn’t be that hard to get back.

Comment

Oh this should be fun.. Especially if it was used in a crime... Good luck..
        Personally I would let them have it..

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
          You would just leave it in your truck at Academy for the next banger. Good luck.......

This one was one of 4 taken from my house.

Comment

Had a few friends this has happened to...you happen to be lucky. If they let u have it back, it yours. Had 2 friends both seperate, their homes got broke into and their pistols stolen. Police reports filed etc, a month later one of my buddies pistol is recovered by the ft worth police. It was used in a gun related crime...hes never gotten it back. The other friend got a call from the Carrollton police, his pistol was used in an attempted murder, he never got his back either.

Comment

Originally posted by spread5150 View Post
              Could have just been in a car that was stopped. Cop ran it and it came back stolen. They held it. Now they want to give it back. Shouldn’t be that hard to get back.

Last time that happened the sheriff office called and I just had a 20 day wait to pick it up .i think my meth head sister in law pawned it .

Comment

I would be willing to bet yours was either pawned or picked up in a traffic stop. From my experience w my friends, if it were used in a gun related crime, you wouldnt be getting it back

Comment

Does the paperwork give them authorization to donate your gun to some foreign entity? Maybe they’re trying a different approach.

Comment

Originally posted by pervis View Post
                    Had a few friends this has happened to...you happen to be lucky. If they let u have it back, it yours. Had 2 friends both seperate, their homes got broke into and their pistols stolen. Police reports filed etc, a month later one of my buddies pistol is recovered by the ft worth police. It was used in a gun related crime...hes never gotten it back. The other friend got a call from the Carrollton police, his pistol was used in an attempted murder, he never got his back either.
                    Possibly because all evidence has to be kept until a case is completely resolved. Agg Assault with a 99 year sentence you’re probably not getting it back. Theft of Firearm and you’ll likely see it returned.

Comment

I had three guns involved in a incident at my house and Harris County Sheriff took them. Two of the guns I bought from carter country and was able to provide a receipt, the third one I bought from the gun show at George r brown and it cam back stolen. Hcs contacted the person that reported it stolen and he had a receipt for were he bought it in the late eighties. We went to a court hearing and he got his gun back and I got my othe two back. The judge gave them to the detective and we had to meet him in the parking lot and sign a paper and the detective handed them to us and we were on our way.

Comment

Originally posted by pervis View Post
                        I would be willing to bet yours was either pawned or picked up in a traffic stop. From my experience w my friends, if it were used in a gun related crime, you wouldnt be getting it back

For the atf to have it I’m thinking pawn shop . Or a search warrant raid . They had been doing a few raids in the town it was found in .

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
                          Does the paperwork give them authorization to donate your gun to some foreign entity? Maybe they’re trying a different approach.

I didn’t see anything like that . It seems more like I can petition to get it back .

Comment

Glad they found one of your guns, hope you get it back.

I'd be asking for more details on how, when, and from whom the gun was recovered from hoping it leads you to the rest of them.
                            Last edited by Thumper; 12-19-2018, 09:34 PM.

Comment

A couple things could play a part. If you had the serial number and reported it and it was entered into TCIC/NCIC. It could have been picked up in pawn shop, traffic stop, or warrant and ran.

It was not entered, it was used in a crime and ATF ran TRACE on it and found out it came back to you.

However, if it was used in a crime you usually have to wait until the case has been disposed of. if it was in a pawn shop, you can get it back pretty soon. If it was pawned let the reporting agency know where it was found so they can get the pawn information.

Comment

Working...
                              X