Edwards/Real Counties Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
    A friend of mine was out at his lease near Vance week before last (lease my dad and I also used to be on) and saw ONE deer (a doe) in 4 days of hunting. I don’t know what’s going on out there. I remember when you would see 8 - 15 or more deer a hunt.
    Last year the deer shut down right before Thanksgiving. We wouldn't see a deer. Corn was piled up below the feeders. We are high fenced and we see the same deer this season that we did last season before Thanksgiving. Not sure what they were doing or what they were eating but all the deer were still on the place and we are seeing a bunch of deer this season. Strange for sure.

Comment

How did y’all end the season?

I went out two weekends ago and agree that is was slower than usual this time of year but I never got skunked. I was hunting crossings and funnels however and not feeders.
      Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
      What brand protein do you feed? I am planning to start feeding on my place mostly to keep the exotics nearby and I am looking for suggestions.

Mummies and L&E have a 16% Wildlife feed that is low in copper and safe for the Aoudad as I understand it. Might try this.
      I want to say it’s L&E but could be mistaken, we get it in Uvalde, same as our corn mix that they call ‘buck nut’ I think. It’s corn, protein, milo, and peas.

Comment

We saw a lot of deer this year, as per usual, but saw very few mature bucks. We did not kill any mature trophy bucks this year, first time in many years that we have not. We ended up just killing a couple of culls and our usual doe amount.

Our sika herd is thriving and is getting to be very plentiful. We saw our first sika about 10 years ago and they have increased in numbers ever since. Killed one sika buck.

We saw a lot of aoudad this year, more than usual. But didn't see any giants this year. Killed one decent ram.

Saw quite a few cow elk but the only bull we saw in person was a spike.

Killed around 15 hogs during the season.

Overall, 2018 was not a bad season but it wasn't a good one either. Just a so-so type season. For reference, this was our 19th season hunting the ranch, purchased it in 2000.

Comment

We had a slow year. One guy got a good fallow and I killed an old management 8 and some hogs. Otherwise, exotics and whitetail seemed to be a little off. We chalked it up to a lot of rain. It’s been very green out there. Saturday evening I came back in early and saw 50+ axis and whitetail in a big pasture grazing on something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

its been an average year so far. the acorns screwed with my archery season, their patterns changed for longer than usual. I got a spike and an axis doe in early December, but my target bucks have eluded me this season. now that the general season is over I'm focusing on hogs until spring turkey starts, then its the summer sits over water for axis and blackbuck.

Comment

What part of Edwards are you guys in? I'm looking hard for a slice of Texas.

Comment

How big of a slice are you looking for there is 272 acres just up the road from me, it’s off of hey 41 and Snodgrass rd

Comment

Originally posted by joel45acp View Post
                  What part of Edwards are you guys in? I'm looking hard for a slice of Texas.
                  Saw your offer was accepted, big congrats and I hope y’all have a smooth path to closing!

Comment

Best year we've had in 5 years!!!

Coyote trapping seems to be paying off.

Feeder pens are paying off- very low pig numbers and Aoudad are now the #1 nemesis.

The acorn crop was way down.

Fawn survival is currently at 100% (currently tracking 6 fawns)
                    Last year we had 0 fawns survive as far a we could tell.

I personally don't count success by the number of kills but instead by the number of encounters within bow range (30 yrds and in) (Exotics and Whitetails) (Trad bow hunting only)

Last year I sat 17 times and saw 0 animals 100 yards and in. ZERO!!
                    This year I sat 11 times and only got skunked once.

Collectively there were 25 sits and 4 skunks this year.
                    Collectively last year there close to 50 sits and I think maybe 4 sightings.

Multiple mature deer within range on multiple hunts, Saw a whopping 20 deer on one morning sit over a 3 hour period.

Comment

Realistically, are these 50-70 acre tracts worth paying for given the fact there are so many around them with hunters? Never been to this area, but for the prices it may be worth looking into paying a R/E note vs paying a lease fee somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                        Saw your offer was accepted, big congrats and I hope y’all have a smooth path to closing!
                        Thanks brother. I'm hoping all goes smooth too, but if something goes haywire I have a Plan B and Plan C in place. Either way, I'll be a land baron very soon.....

Comment

Originally posted by popup_menace View Post
                          Realistically, are these 50-70 acre tracts worth paying for given the fact there are so many around them with hunters? Never been to this area, but for the prices it may be worth looking into paying a R/E note vs paying a lease fee somewhere
                          My two cents on the matter, as posted on another thread about purchasing in a subdivision out that way:

Assuming your 40 acres is in a subdivision, find out if the subdivision has a property owners association. A POA doesn't solve all the problems that a property owner can encounter in a subdivision but it helps to minimize issues.

I've owned 30 acres in eastern Edwards County for almost 15 years. Our POA has an 8 point and 13" minimum spread rule. Does everyone follow it? Hell no, but many do, and that helps. My immediate neighbors are selective so we tend to get a few bucks that carry over from one season to the next. Our POA also collects dues so that we can pay for interior road work when needed. The dues also cover an electric well that is accessible for all property owners and a light at the main gate.

Is your subdivision under an Ag tax valuation? If so, that's nice to have to save money but then you'll have to tolerate cattle. Fortunately for us, our cattleman removes his cattle from Oct. 1 through the end of doe/spike season.

Think safety as a priority on small properties, including blind/feeder placement, shooting lanes, etc. as well as those of your neighbors. I'll have my kids where blaze orange when they are walking to/from blinds, especially if they are walking on the ranch road to do so.

And be sure to temper your expectations. There isn't going to be a 120 behind every bush. In 15 years I can count the number of bucks I've shot on one hand (and that includes one spike). Then again, I've been selective, follow our agreed upon antler rules and have let plenty walk that meet the minimum rules. But I've killed axis (including one on my wall with main beams measuring 32.5"/34.5"), pigs, spring turkey, squirrel, dove, etc.

You'll likely have to put up with people driving to and from their tract during morning/evening prime time when you're on stand, hearing people talk or fire up a tractor while you're on stand, 4 wheelers being driven around, etc.

That all being said I wouldn't want to give up my place. It's mine, I don't have to worry about lease issues and I can manage the land to make improvements as I see fit. The cabin that came with the place is comfy and it's got electricity. A great place to hang out for the weekend, throughout the year.

Oh and I'll add that you can find out who your neighbors are or even all of the landowners in the subdivision online as opposed to requesting the information from the Edwards County Appraisers Office. Visit the True Automation web site.

Good luck and if you end up buying out that way, enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
                            My two cents on the matter, as posted on another thread about purchasing in a subdivision out that way:

Assuming your 40 acres is in a subdivision, find out if the subdivision has a property owners association. A POA doesn't solve all the problems that a property owner can encounter in a subdivision but it helps to minimize issues.

I've owned 30 acres in eastern Edwards County for almost 15 years. Our POA has an 8 point and 13" minimum spread rule. Does everyone follow it? Hell no, but many do, and that helps. My immediate neighbors are selective so we tend to get a few bucks that carry over from one season to the next. Our POA also collects dues so that we can pay for interior road work when needed. The dues also cover an electric well that is accessible for all property owners and a light at the main gate.

Is your subdivision under an Ag tax valuation? If so, that's nice to have to save money but then you'll have to tolerate cattle. Fortunately for us, our cattleman removes his cattle from Oct. 1 through the end of doe/spike season.

Think safety as a priority on small properties, including blind/feeder placement, shooting lanes, etc. as well as those of your neighbors. I'll have my kids where blaze orange when they are walking to/from blinds, especially if they are walking on the ranch road to do so.

And be sure to temper your expectations. There isn't going to be a 120 behind every bush. In 15 years I can count the number of bucks I've shot on one hand (and that includes one spike). Then again, I've been selective, follow our agreed upon antler rules and have let plenty walk that meet the minimum rules. But I've killed axis (including one on my wall with main beams measuring 32.5"/34.5"), pigs, spring turkey, squirrel, dove, etc.

You'll likely have to put up with people driving to and from their tract during morning/evening prime time when you're on stand, hearing people talk or fire up a tractor while you're on stand, 4 wheelers being driven around, etc.

That all being said I wouldn't want to give up my place. It's mine, I don't have to worry about lease issues and I can manage the land to make improvements as I see fit. The cabin that came with the place is comfy and it's got electricity. A great place to hang out for the weekend, throughout the year.

Oh and I'll add that you can find out who your neighbors are or even all of the landowners in the subdivision online as opposed to requesting the information from the Edwards County Appraisers Office. Visit the True Automation web site.

Good luck and if you end up buying out that way, enjoy!

Pretty **** spot on here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

South Edwards/North Kinney - Hunt Set Up

Hi guys,
                              I just got a ranch (200 acres) on the South Edwards / North Kinney County border. My place is high mountain/rugged terrain with a few low valleys and some acres I'll clear out to put my cabin and camp at. I've been told I'm in Aoudad and Axis country. I did see a few deer and hogs driving day on my ride out last week. Is anyone else in this area and how is the hunting?

Comment

Originally posted by TXARMY View Post
                                Hi guys,
                                I just got a ranch (200 acres) on the South Edwards / North Kinney County border. My place is high mountain/rugged terrain with a few low valleys and some acres I'll clear out to put my cabin and camp at. I've been told I'm in Aoudad and Axis country. I did see a few deer and hogs driving day on my ride out last week. Is anyone else in this area and how is the hunting?
                                Sounds like you are not too far from me. We in Kinney Co not far from the river. Are you anywhere near the Moody ranch? Its GIANT and spans both counties.

As for the hunting, we have killed WT, axis, fallow, aoudad, and blackbuck. Sitka have been spotted and someone once got a glimpse of what could have been an elk or red stag etc. Our whitetail are average hill country deer but we have some really nice axis and aoudad. The other exotics are fewer and farther between but they're there.

The exotics really roam. You'll have resident WT that you might see in certain areas throughout the season. But the exotics will come and go. If you see one you like, shoot it bc you might never see it again. The axis are twice as wild as the WT and the Aoudad are wilder than that.

They all love protein and they really hit the alfalfa hard late season.

Comment

Working...
                                X