"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NateYJ View Post
    I really thought that you guys would have wacked a bunch of Porkers for sure!!!!!
    thats alot harder than you think,theres been huge presure at the primitive not to mention the heli shoot 2 weeks ago,now there white bass fisherman all over too,ya ought to try gettin at them in the blood weeds,its great na really we had a couple of shots but like i said mostly either running or in the blood weeds,but well get one next year............i hope

Comment

I aint goin in them bloodweeds anymore. I've found four ticks on me after the hunt and even one in our bed after I showered and checked myself. I never evern brought anything in the house from the hunt. Anyone els find any? Or is just my fair skin nature to attract them.

Comment

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
        I aint goin in them bloodweeds anymore. I've found four ticks on me after the hunt and even one in our bed after I showered and checked myself. I never evern brought anything in the house from the hunt. Anyone els find any? Or is just my fair skin nature to attract them.
        i didnt have any,nor my son,not sure about your skin but i havnt had any this year and i been spendin lotsa time in the blood weeds how did sunday go C ROD 888

Comment

Sunday suuuuuuuuuccccccckkkkkked LOL Didn't want to get outa bed because i was so tired from the day before, but we forced ourselves up. Crossed over to 7, walked to six, then back to 7 and didn't see a thing. Then I had the worst ride back to the car with all my gear. It took me nearly and hour. All in all, had a great time with great company, just next year if i don't have aboat i may neadd to hitch a ride from you LOL.

Oh, and Ill hunt below the dam at least once

Comment

This is fishing related. Where is "Dickerson's"? Is it on the San Gabriel?

Thanks!

Comment

Thinking of going this weekend

Hello all,

This is my first post, and I am a longtime whitetail/gun hunter who is ready to try something new.
              I have never hunted public land before, but I have a permit and Granger is closest to home (Copperas Cove, about 1 1/2 hrs) so I'm thinking about going out there Friday night and camping out, then hunting Saturday.
              Just wondering if there's a decent spot out there where a rookie can see a little action without getting in the way of the seasoned hog hunters.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Ok, went out this evening to san gabriel gate 6. Walked around until about 7. Saw lots of cows, came across a couple huge areas that had been torn to heck. pretty cool stuff. decided to drive by the dam for the heck of it. Parked at the over look and walked down below the ****. Came across a small boar piglet rooting around by himself. MY FIRST PIG sighted at granger! He was in the middle of the meadow. High scooted to about 35 yards before he noticed me. Took the shot and missed low. Boy he ran fast. I parralled him for about 100 yds then decided he had put forth a lot of effort. good run. next time I will go to the pecan grove first.

Comment

I am heading out with some pals next weekend. Man am I excited. Will be my first time out with a bow.

Comment

Yeah mels soldier. I always stop and have a look through binoculars from the overlook whenever I have to drive over the dam. Have seen hogs twice from that location, and once glassing from the area above the spillway at the Pecan Grove parking area. I have seen them NE of checkpoint II, and vic of checkpoint X on the Pecan Grove map. Chances of seeing a hog moving in daylight are much better on overcast days like yesterday. Today would have been great if you had the gear to stay warm and dry.

And yes, them hogs at Granger put on their Nikes once they spot you!
                    Last edited by NightStalker; 03-11-2009, 10:09 PM.

Comment

i've got the gear and was planning on heading out this afternoon, but kids school stuff prevents me from going. I am off tomorrow so I may go out before I have to catch my flight.Probably hit pecan grove for a couple hours after sunrise if you are interested. I have a flight out of Killeen at 4, so it will have to be a short day. But it only takes one shot.......

Comment

I going out this afternoon. Should be a good time to scare something up.

Comment

Run piggie run. Hope to get up there solo once or twice to see if I can catch a couple stopped to catch their breath.

Comment

good luck I dont think they stop to catch their breath......

Comment

Maybe I can trip one......

Comment

I went to Granger WMA three times past week. Today, I saw 4 deers and couple crane birds. Look like that hogs aren't there for a while. Last Tuesday, I didnt see anything at all. Last Friday, saw 2 hogs and lost them!

Comment

Working...
                                X