No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if y'all are talking about getting turned around out there I definitely won't be going out there alone

Comment

Went out this morning and it was beautiful. Right at daybreak i heard a group of pigs squeel loud but never found them.. I did run into about 15 does and 5 bucks. Two of the bucks were giants scoring at least in the 140-160 range..

Comment

Originally posted by Genevieve View Post
        if y'all are talking about getting turned around out there I definitely won't be going out there alone
        well the only way you can really get "lost" is if you keep walking around in circles, if you just pick a direction and walk you will find ether river,trucks,or fence.......lol but its best to hunt with a buddie anyways!!

Comment

Originally posted by bigbowman91 View Post
          well the only way you can really get "lost" is if you keep walking around in circles, if you just pick a direction and walk you will find ether river,trucks,or fence.......lol but its best to hunt with a buddie anyways!!
          its always more fun to hunt with someone.

Comment

Since I have only been twice, I take my GPS. I mark the gates and any areas that look good. I have the tree stand that I saw and the buck scrap on it also. No hogs yet but It fun out there. Tomorrow all areas will be open again. The next closure date is the Monday after Thanksgiving. Here are the closures dates.

2010 Closures
            Nov 8 - 12
            Nov 29 - Dec 3
            Dec 13 - 17
            Dec 27 - 29

2011 Closures
            Jan 3 - 7

Comment

Originally posted by 05 gray ghost View Post
              Since I have only been twice, I take my GPS. I mark the gates and any areas that look good. I have the tree stand that I saw and the buck scrap on it also. No hogs yet but It fun out there. Tomorrow all areas will be open again. The next closure date is the Monday after Thanksgiving. Here are the closures dates.

2010 Closures
              Nov 8 - 12
              Nov 29 - Dec 3
              Dec 13 - 17
              Dec 27 - 29

2011 Closures
              Jan 3 - 7
              I've thought about getting a GPS but I don't know anything about them. Have you ever really had to use it out there?

Comment

I've thought about getting a GPS but I don't know anything about them. Have you ever really had to use it out there?
                I bought one of those Backtracker GPS units just to get back to the truck. In east texas where I have been hunting you can walk in 100 yds and everything looks exactly the same. I usually have a pretty good sense of direction , but not out there. I think I paid in the neighborhood of $50 for it . Just mark the truck before I leave and if I have any doubts turn it on and double check. Used it Hog hunting in DCNF and cut cross country back to truck and it worked like a charm.

Comment

Originally posted by alec73065 View Post
                  I bought one of those Backtracker GPS units just to get back to the truck. In east texas where I have been hunting you can walk in 100 yds and everything looks exactly the same. I usually have a pretty good sense of direction , but not out there. I think I paid in the neighborhood of $50 for it . Just mark the truck before I leave and if I have any doubts turn it on and double check. Used it Hog hunting in DCNF and cut cross country back to truck and it worked like a charm.

http://www.bushnell.com/products/gps...C6FC18A49C11E2
                  I should get my mom one of those for Christmas, she can't ever find her truck!

Comment

I should get my mom one of those for Christmas, she can't ever find her truck!
                    LMAO , I got my MIL a TOMTOM because she was getting lost about half the time she came to our house , we had lived there for 10 yrs and she had come hundreds of times. Never failed she would call one day after she was about an hour late and say"I am in such and such town, how close am I to you? and could you tell me how to get back?"

Comment

Originally posted by alec73065 View Post
                      LMAO , I got my MIL a TOMTOM because she was getting lost about half the time she came to our house , we had lived there for 10 yrs and she had come hundreds of times. Never failed she would call one day after she was about an hour late and say"I am in such and such town, how close am I to you? and could you tell me how to get back?"
                      Thats how my mom is, we tell her that she couldnt find her way out of a paper bag.

Comment

I use my gps out there all the time. Have to if you are out there in the thick stuff. Mark tons of spots. You will see. You get in the woods part and it is nothing but straight trees that all look the same. At least a compass is needed. Or you can just stay on trails but... what fun is that? And I like to stay till dark. On a new moon you can walk in circles in the woods easy. But that is part of the adventure. Cant wait till sunday. We had a good freeze should of knocked out some of that blood weed???? Will have to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                          I use my gps out there all the time. Have to if you are out there in the thick stuff. Mark tons of spots. You will see. You get in the woods part and it is nothing but straight trees that all look the same. At least a compass is needed. Or you can just stay on trails but... what fun is that? And I like to stay till dark. On a new moon you can walk in circles in the woods easy. But that is part of the adventure. Cant wait till sunday. We had a good freeze should of knocked out some of that blood weed???? Will have to find out.
                          What is blood weed?

Comment

I've been looking at getting a GPS unit and looked at the Bushnell Backtracker, but it doesnt have a compass and i also want one where i can mark points, for tracks and activity and sightings and what not. i cant wait to get out the first weekend of Dec.

Comment

Mike, what kind of truck do you drive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Calling all Granger Rangers form up!!!! I'll try to get in touch with Dahmer and bring him along.

Comment

Working...
                                X