yellow jackets in blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yellow jackets in blind

We built a new tower box bow blind and put it on a feeder back in July. It is about 10.5' to the floor. It is made out of metal R Panel and we put the black fiberboard from Home Depot on the walls to keep it dark inside and quieter than the bare metal, and maybe insulate it against the cold a little.

We had not hunted it since opening weekend of bow season. Went over on Wed AM to pull the pics off the trail cam and I climbed up the ladder and slid the door open. The entire South and West walls were covered solid in yellow jackets. Each wall is 6' X 7'. About 3/10's of a second later they were all headed right at my face. I jumped off the ladder backward and hit the ground rolling to get away from the blind. Did not get a single sting. We went back the next day with 4 cans of wasp spray. Most of them were gone, but we killed about a thousand or so. The floor of the blind is covered with them.

We opened all the doors and windows and left. Hopefully they will leave since it is not as warm in there, and maybe the stink from the spray will dissipate. Never seen anything like this before, but could be very deadly if a bunch of them got you all at once.

Wayne

Pretty scary stuff.

Comment

Happens every year, I have left the windows open and owls and buzzard move in and have babies, and you thought wasp were bad.
      Seal the small opening as best as you can and hang a no pest strip inside, it will last about 6 months

Comment

man I hate the yellow jackets. Got stung twice recently...once in the head. Hurt like hell!

Comment

wow

Comment

Call Billy the Exterminator.

Comment

My dad went down to our place this weekend and said our camper(s) look yellow becuase there are so many on the outside. Also said they are going in and out of our new shed we built last weekend for the Ranger. He said they were so bad he couldn't even hook up his camper due to them being overly aggressive. Any ideas how I can get rid of them? We are going down Friday night to hunt Saturday morning but other than buying 20 bombs for inside of camper and spraying outsides I don't know what to do. 2 people on our lease are HIGHLY allergic to make it worse.

Comment

A thermacell works wonders on Wasp in the blind!

Comment

sounds like the bees i had at my place. one of our stands had a hive underneath it and bees were constantly swarming around it by the hundreds. they hate smoke. not a bad way to get rid of them. then destroying the nest so they dont come back

Comment

WD 40 works great when in a pinch

Comment

we get em in our blinds almost every year. The blinds seal up tight, but they get slept in when the illegals come in. when they do, they leave windos and doors open, and poof...instant hornet home.

I just crack the door and toss in a bug fogger (grenade style) and listen to them die.

Sweep it out in the morning.

Comment

Is there anything you can buy to keep them off exterior of camper? The Pest Control company I use at home pressure washes my house with a chemical and have never seen a nest since...but also realize they are using stuff you buy with a license.

Comment

i used to work at sherwin williams and they sell a product called bug juice that you mix into paint. its supposed to keep bugs from nesting and stuff like that. its kinda pricey but something you may want to look at

Comment

Originally posted by Parramore View Post
                            WD 40 works great when in a pinch
                            Yep and a bic lighter. Instant flame thrower

Comment

One of my huntin buddies blinds was full of wasps, he bombed it and a week later they were back.

Wasps seem to be bad this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X