Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about a career change.... ideas???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about a career change.... ideas???

After 6 years of teaching Special Ed in a behavioral (emotionaly disturbed) classroom setting. I am beginning to think a change is needed. I am getting to the point where I am thinking all the BS of teaching special ed is not worth the effort or stress I am putting up with daily.
    I have taught in Special ed for 6 years but employed in sped for almost 9yrs.
    My Bachelors degree is in Criminal Justice and I have been a reserve police officer for nearly 9 years.
    I have a 3 yr old at home and want to have a flexible schedule so I dont have to miss anything as he grows older
    I am just trying to come up with some ideas of career options that wont be a substantial pay cut and I can have a flexible schedule.
    My dad sold car insurance and had a very flexible schedule. I have thought about looking into doing that but not sure how to go about it. Also looking for any other options you may could point me to. Would like to stay above $50k per year to keep the same way of life currently have as a teacher. In the North Texas area

Come to Harris County Sheriff's office. You will be poor....but never out of work. =)

Comment

I understand your pain and thoughts on a switch. Started in 2012 as a TA now in my 3rd year as the SEBSS (Social, Emotional, Behavioral, Support Services) teacher dealing with the same type of kids you deal with. Our hands are tied in what we can do with these kids. No consequences for these kids and they know that. No matter what we do, we have no recourse or punishment except for talking to them, NONE. We cannot even make them go to class or make them do any work if they do not want to. We cannot put them in ISS, suspend them or sent them home. All we are right now is a glorified baby sitter.

Not in it as long as you, but dang sure wish I was close to making $50 thousand per year or better.

Comment

Medical field

Nurse, x-ray tech, etc

Comment

2nd medical field. Imaging techs don't have to deal with angry sick folks usually which is where it's at.

Comment

Are you willing to relocate?

Comment

We hired a special education teacher last hiring and he loves his pay checks now. You'd have to move but we pay enough to justify.

Comment

Originally posted by Huggybear View Post
                We hired a special education teacher last hiring and he loves his pay checks now. You'd have to move but we pay enough to justify.
                Is he just a normal Special Ed teacher or does he work with kids with behavior problems? 2 different types of Special Ed teachers.

Comment

You will never have another schedule that allows you to do more with your school age child. You are off when he is out of school and you work when he is in school. I know you may miss some in school activities but most districts will allow some flexibility.

Comment

Law enforcement bud. You'll never be bored.

Comment

If you are gonna do it, do it now. If you have been in education for 9 years, you are near the point of no return as far as retirement goes.

It does suck the way nothing can be done to these students as far as discipline. There were not near as many emotionally disturbed students when I was growing up. At least not in the classroom. They either learned how to act, or got busted a lot. Maybe you need to try the regular ed classroom and see if that is better.

Comment

Regular classroom is not much better. I have taught 32 years and my hands are tied in many instances. In some cases I can send to principals but even they can do little until all steps are covered. Just hoping I can make it 2 more years after this year, then I will be done.

Comment

Originally posted by joel45acp View Post
                          Law enforcement bud. You'll never be bored.
                          Good choice. Very flexible schedule ( can you sense the sarcasm already?). You'll work nights for the first few years until you have enough seniority to pull days. Then it'll be another 5-10 years before you can get weekends ( at least). By that time your kids will be out of school and you can spend all the time you want to with your new wife.

Comment

Originally posted by whakm View Post
                            Good choice. Very flexible schedule ( can you sense the sarcasm already?). You'll work nights for the first few years until you have enough seniority to pull days. Then it'll be another 5-10 years before you can get weekends ( at least). By that time your kids will be out of school and you can spend all the time you want to with your new wife.

Lol while this is mostly true. There are options such as school resource officers or a few years on patrol then CID depending on size of agency.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

You are right. Money wise it's not worth it. Personal effort and stress wise it's not worth it. But to the kids, to the parents who's hearts break for their children, it's worth more than anyone could ever afford to pay you. God bless you for all you've done and if you move on no one could blame you.

Comment

Working...
                              X