Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New EZ Go Marathon build

PIcs to come.

I just got home with my 85 EZ Go Marathon. I got a smokin deal on it. FREE!!! Thats right, I said free. No telliong what it will need to work again, but Im gonna try to get her running over the summer.

Future plans include a lift, paintjob, front and rear racks, and gun and bow mounts.

I do have a question though. DOes anyone know if there is an ATV that has the same bolt pattern as a golf cart. Im thinking that with all of the mudders around here, I can buy a used set of stock tires and whells from an ATV for way less than a new set of golf cart tires and wheels.

Thats a great deal! I bought an older marathon '88 on here a few months ago for fairly cheap and I've been fixing her up. Its been a lot of fun / work but I have really enjoyed fixing it up to my liking. As far as ATV wheels, I don't know if any are the same stud pattern as the golf carts. I tried mounting my stock Honda Rancher wheels on mine and the bolt pattern was not right and the offset wasn't nearly deep enough to clear the brakes.

Good luck on the new project! Post up some before / after pics!

Comment

BeforeClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338524012.846445.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	24077558

After, still need to camo wrap and add utility bed
      Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338524087.365541.jpg
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	24077559

Comment

Awesome. Thats exactly what mine looks like. I have a few questions about the lift for you.

1. bought or built?

2. if bought, where did you get it?

3. how hard was it to install?

Comment

Here she is. Kinda rough, but thats all part of it.

Here is really the only damage, other than a slight tear in the seat and some flat tires. For an 86, thats pretty good, I think.

Comment

Awesome!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tyhuck View Post
              Awesome. Thats exactly what mine looks like. I have a few questions about the lift for you.

1. bought or built? I bought a kit off everythingcarts.com. Look at the Jakes lift kits

2. if bought, where did you get it?

3. how hard was it to install?
              it was actually very easy to install. Took about 3 hrs

You got a great deal on that cart, the charger itself is worth 200-300. I had to replace the circuit board in my charger because it was "overcharging". I would suggest you take a peek at the battery trays as they are probably rusted out. Here is what mine looked like Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338560966.410810.jpg
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	24077581

Had to cut out the old and weld in some new angle iron and cross braces for support

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338561052.613311.jpg
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	24077582

Comment

I see a couple of different ones from Jakes. Which ones did you get?

Can you shoot me some close-up pictures of the front suspension? Ide appreciate it.

My first job is to get the batteries out and cleaned up, then replace some bad ring terminals on the wiring. Then its an attempt to charge and make sure the batteries and motor are still good. After all that, then Im gonna look into the lift and such, but Ide like to see what kind you had so I can see if I could build one similar, and because the pictures online all look the same and most are representative images.

Comment

Well, I couldnt wait. I started tearing into the front end to see what it looked like and to get familiar with it, and decided I could make my own lift. I cut the front spindle shafts off and fllipped them over and re-welded them in place. They are cooling now and I will get some pictures later.

Comment

I think EZGO is 4" bolt pattern. The only ATV wheels that are 4" is some of the old Polaris bikes. Yamaha golf carts are the same as honda and yamaha ATV's.

Comment

Sorry for the delay. Here are a few quick photos. Let me know if you need anything else.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338607462.997476.jpg
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	24079202

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338607477.872499.jpg
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	24079203

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338607494.378855.jpg
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	24079204

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338607509.831385.jpg
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	24079205

Comment

Hmmm. I did something similar to mine. I modified the factory crossmember and made the spindles below the axel rather than above like the factory setup. I figured if I screwed it up, I could always just buy a lift like yours and be no worse off than if I hadnt tried anything. Plus, if it worked, Ide save $200.

Well, I think it worked. Here are some pictures of the front end lifted.

The rear is on Jack stands while I figure out what to do with it. Im thinking just a simple lift block would work.

Gained about 5" doing it that way.

Heres a close-up of the spindle flip. Just cut em off and re-welded them upside down. I was very careful to maintain the slight angle of the shafts as to keep proper steering geometry.

ONly other modification that was needed was to cut and raise the steering connections, and add another steering stop. I made mine a little bigger than the factory ones so that the main steering arm wont impact the leaf springs if I get it flexed.

Comment

I got some water in the batteries, and was going to try to see if I could get a charge, but I noticed that there was a broken connection. I was going to try to get it back on but the nut is rusted solid and will not budge. I was wondering what the part is, and if its possible or affordable to replace it since mine looks really bad and worn out.

Here is the part im talking about. Its the small rusted box between all the batteries.

Comment

that will keep you busy

Comment

Yeah, I hope not too busy. Ide like to run it over the summer so I can have the bugs worked out before hunting season.

Comment

Working...
                              X