Rec Tec 590

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rec Tec 590

There have been a few threads with questions on various pellet grills as of late so I though that I would post up my first brisket on the Rec Tec 590. I am an admitted novice and don't mind cheating with a pellet grill. I was able to cut down and burn 4 trees while this thing was cooking. I smoked it for right at 9 hours and then let is rest for 2 hours in the oven. I used Post Oak pellets for this and while it was good, I am thinking I would like to try a mix using some mesquite.

I injected with Prime Brisket the night before the cook after trimming the brisket up. I think I should have trimmed a little more but in the past I have left more fat on due to temp swings and didn't really think about taking more off this time since the temp would be steady. The morning of, I seasoned with salt and #16 black pepper only, 1/4c each. It was on the grill at 0730 at 200F for two hours. After the first two hours, I bumped the grill up to 225F and let is ride until the internal temp read 165 which took about 6-1/2 hours. This was a 15lb. packer brisket. At 165 internal, I pulled and wrapped in foil and then back on it went. I bumped the temp up to 240F to push the brisket a bit after the wrap. At 195 I started checking for tender, ended up cooking up to 203F before it had the feel I was looking for. I read somewhere that you can turn an over on to 200F and then as soon as it reaches 200F, kill it and put the brisket in to rest. I will not be doing this again, felt like it was too hot for resting. Next time I plan to just use the warm function and then turn it off which is about 170F. The last picture is when I pulled for the wrap and the other are after resting and before vacuum packing. Overall I was very happy with the result and plan to do another one here in a few weeks. I would appreciate any pointers from you guys who are more accomplished in all things brisket!
    Attached Files

Looks good. I don’t normally foil wrap because it gets too moist and loses its bark. If you like a heavy bark, try wrapping with pink butcher paper next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
      Looks good. I don’t normally foil wrap because it gets too moist and loses its bark. If you like a heavy bark, try wrapping with pink butcher paper next time.

I have never bought the peach paper just because I don’t bbq enough to feel like it’s worth it but I may now. I agree that the bark got soft using the foil but for my first one I was happy with it. The flavor was great.

I like a good bark but it also tears my stomach up to eat too much of it. The pellet grill seems to be a good compromise on that. I bought a smoke tube to try and get extra smoke on it. It the dang thing went out about 10 minutes into the cook.

Comment

1. No foil. Get the pink butcher paper.

2. Get one of those plumber's torches from Home Depot to light the smoke tube. It has a little yellow tank on it. You will thank me later.

3. I always take mine to an internal temp of 203-208. Then pull.

4. When you pull it off, wrap in a towel and just place in a cooler for resting. I'll let mine rest for 3-4 hours and it stays plenty hot in there.

I just did one on Sunday and it was the best one so far. Even I gotta admit it was pretty dang good. I have the same RecTec that you have. Freaking love that thing!

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
          1. No foil. Get the pink butcher paper.

2. Get one of those plumber's torches from Home Depot to light the smoke tube. It has a little yellow tank on it. You will thank me later.

3. I always take mine to an internal temp of 203-208. Then pull.

4. When you pull it off, wrap in a towel and just place in a cooler for resting. I'll let mine rest for 3-4 hours and it stays plenty hot in there.

I just did one on Sunday and it was the best one so far. Even I gotta admit it was pretty dang good. I have the same RecTec that you have. Freaking love that thing!
          I will have to get one of the plumbers torches for that thing. I used a soldering iron with the tip removed and it just wasn't enough to get it going.

The towel and cooler rest is what i have always done before, works like a champ. Do you have the vent extensions on your 590? They are sold out right now but i am thinking I want them. I have the grill on the edge of a covered patio and seems that they would help with pushing the smoke further out from the eave and also keep rain from coming in on those rare days its really blowing.

Have you seen any difference in the temps you get based on the type of pellets you are using? I seem to get higher temps from the champions blend than I do on the post oak. I was wondering is mesquite would be better on the hot cooks; wish there was an easier way to change pellets. That is proabably my only complaint with this thing.

Comment

I mostly always use post oak. I’ve tried a few others and can’t really tell a difference.

I do not have those extensions but will probably get some just to help keep rain out if I forget to put the cover back on.

About to go throw on 8 ground deer meat patties and some sausage on in a few minutes. That should take care of my meal prepping for the rest of the week.

Comment

I quit the towel wrap thing because it also made the bark mushy. I have a warming drawer so I just keep it wrapped in the butcher paper and set the temp to the proof setting which is a little under 100° if I remember right.

Comment

Rec Tec 590

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                I quit the towel wrap thing because it also made the bark mushy. I have a warming drawer so I just keep it wrapped in the butcher paper and set the temp to the proof setting which is a little under 100° if I remember right.

That was the concept with the oven on warm. I think I’ll try to heat it to 120-150 and **** if off. They are really well insulated so I think it will work. I need to go ahead and get the paper, seems to be a reoccurring theme.

Comment

Heck, I don't even wrap any more. Just pull it off the RT-700 at 210, wrap in foil, wrap in towel, throw it in the cooler to rest for an hour. Never dry and always outstanding...ribs, pork shoulder, or brisket, doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by kry226 View Post
                    Heck, I don't even wrap any more. Just pull it off the RT-700 at 210, wrap in foil, wrap in towel, throw it in the cooler to rest for an hour. Never dry and always outstanding...ribs, pork shoulder, or brisket, doesn't matter.
                    I have had a few people say this. It is so easy with this setup I am willing to give it a try. Do you have a water pan in the cooker when you do it?

Comment

My RT-700 is being delivered tomorrow. I'm like a kid waiting on Christmas morning!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                        My RT-700 is being delivered tomorrow. I'm like a kid waiting on Christmas morning!!!!

I have had a lot of fun with it so far.

Comment

I upgraded in size this last week. Only one cook in on the new pit. Loving it so far.

Originally posted by kry226 View Post

I know what you mean... Just poking fun. If i'm not under time constraints (which is hardly ever when cooking brisket), I'll cook through the stall too. But with hungry people waiting, I'll wrap in peach paper.

Comment

I just ordered the RT 700 yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
                              I have had a few people say this. It is so easy with this setup I am willing to give it a try. Do you have a water pan in the cooker when you do it?
                              I have wondered this same thing. I do it because my electric smoker had one. Im not sure if it is needed though.

Comment

Working...
                              X