Early planting this spring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early planting this spring?

Think we'll be planting our food plots early this spring? I bought a soil thermometer, and I'll wait until it's right, but I was just wondering what y'all thought with this warm winter.

Winter is a long ways from being over. IME when planting in the Spring to early young plants struggle to do well in cool night air, short day length and low soil temps. I have planted early one year and then the next year I planted the same food plot seed several weeks later. The later planting did much better growth in a shorter growing period than the early planting did.
    One thing these warm temps will do is make the mid-winter growth of the annual forbes much better. Anything that grows naturally is your cheapest/best food source. Might try in some selected spot fertilizer on areas of highly preferred native plants.

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter56 View Post
      Winter is a long ways from being over. IME when planting in the Spring to early young plants struggle to do well in cool night air, short day length and low soil temps. I have planted early one year and then the next year I planted the same food plot seed several weeks later. The later planting did much better growth in a shorter growing period than the early planting did.
      One thing these warm temps will do is make the mid-winter growth of the annual forbes much better. Anything that grows naturally is your cheapest/best food source. Might try in some selected spot fertilizer on areas of highly preferred native plants.
      A lot to be said about fertilizing natural veggies

Comment

Working...
      X