No announcement yet.

jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The wife and I love us some deer jerky....I use Allegro Marinades you can get at Walmart or any major grocery store and each bottle is about $2.50. Simple easy and delish! I prefer the Hickory Smoke and the HotnSpicy personally.

-For 15lbs I used 2-3 bottles of Hickory Smoke and 1 HotNSpicy.

-Sliced deer across the grain (muscles fibers) in 1/8-1/4" slices

-Place in big bowl with all bottles of marinade, mix making sure you have good coverage.....I marinade for at least 12 hours but prefer 24ish. The longer the better.

-Mix every 6 hours or so as well if you can.

-Place on dehydrator, add red pepper or restaurant grade black pepper to taste and let the dehydrator do it's thing.

Remember the meat will shrink but the pepper quantity and heat will not.. Don't over do it. If you hang from your oven racks to dry, add pepper before running through picks or skewers..

Allegro marinades...

The results...

Click image for larger version

Name:	101_1005 (Medium).JPG
Views:	16
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	24264605

Name:	AAjerky1.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	24264606

Name:	AAjerky.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	24264607

Name:	IMG_1165 (Medium).jpg
Views:	11
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	24264608

Name:	IMG_1169 (Medium).jpg
Views:	8
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	24264609

Comment

Smart is this a high sodium product like soy sauce? I don't see any salt in your mix.

The kids are after me to make some jerky this year. I like the mix above but will likely do about 8-10 hours in the smoke house and then finish on the dehydrator.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
        Smart is this a high sodium product like soy sauce? I don't see any salt in your mix.

The kids are after me to make some jerky this year. I like the mix above but will likely do about 8-10 hours in the smoke house and then finish on the dehydrator.
        I've used Allegro too Smart, and it is awesome - gonna have to try mixing in some of the hot n' spicy. Yes Slick, like soy sauce Allegro has alot of salt in it. I've found that when I added more salt after using these liquid marinades it comes out too salty for my taste.

Comment

Thanks Jerp, I have the week of New Years off and plan on a big smoke if it's nice and cold. Otherwise I'll wait for a good cold weekend later on.

Jerky, snack sticks and summer. Lots of work but good food for the year.

I'll post pics when I get the smoke rollin.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
            I've used Allegro too Smart, and it is awesome - gonna have to try mixing in some of the hot n' spicy. Yes Slick, like soy sauce Allegro has alot of salt in it. I've found that when I added more salt after using these liquid marinades it comes out too salty for my taste.

Agreed....no salt added here either. It comes out just right.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              The wife and I love us some deer jerky....I use Allegro Marinades you can get at Walmart or any major grocery store and each bottle is about $2.50. Simple easy and delish! I prefer the Hickory Smoke and the HotnSpicy personally.

-For 15lbs I used 2-3 bottles of Hickory Smoke and 1 HotNSpicy.

-Sliced deer across the grain (muscles fibers) in 1/8-1/4" slices

-Place in big bowl with all bottles of marinade, mix making sure you have good coverage.....I marinade for at least 12 hours but prefer 24ish. The longer the better.

-Mix every 6 hours or so as well if you can.

-Place on dehydrator, add red pepper or restaurant grade black pepper to taste and let the dehydrator do it's thing.

Remember the meat will shrink but the pepper quantity and heat will not.. Don't over do it. If you hang from your oven racks to dry, add pepper before running through picks or skewers..

Allegro marinades...

The results...

[ATTACH]571972[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]571973[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]571974[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]571975[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]571976[/ATTACH]
              I use a meat tenderizer mallet on some of the fatty pieces then use original Allegro and a lots of liquid smoke, marinade in frig for at least 24 hours and lay the strips out on the dehydrator. I then add some course ground pepper to the top side, then turn and repeat about 4 hours in.

My whole family freakin LOVES this stuff! Wife makes me cook it in the garage though....tends to smell up the house.

Comment

Mine is simple, but involves a smokehouse.
                Cut meat into 1/8-1/4 inch this strips. Season both sides with fiesta fajita seasoning, garlic salt, and pepper (black for regular, cayenne for hot).
                Hang in smokehouse. Hickory smoke for 2 nights. Usually takes 2-3 days to dry depending on weather.

Turns out great. Ask Humper. He ate about 10 lb of it at the axis of evil hunt last yr

Comment

ttt for more deer hitting the ground..

Comment

Trust me Smart's recipe makes some really good jerky. I sliced mine a 1/4 inch thick and followed the recipe, and it was delicious.

Comment

The allegro marinade is great. It even makes a duck breast taste good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

great thread

Comment

Santa brought me a dehydrator for Christmas so I am tagging this!

Comment

I've made deer jerky a lot of different ways and have liked most of them.

But after trying Jason Smart's way of making it last year, I think that's the way I'll be making it from now on. It's super easy and some of the best jerky I've ever eaten.

Thanks again, Jason.

Comment

Used allegro marinade for years good stuff. Sent some jerky made with it to Iraqi and it was loved by son and other marines.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
                                I've made deer jerky a lot of different ways and have liked most of them.

But after trying Jason Smart's way of making it last year, I think that's the way I'll be making it from now on. It's super easy and some of the best jerky I've ever eaten.

Thanks again, Jason.

Sure thing David! Glad you enjoyed it[emoji1303]

Comment

Working...
                                X