No announcement yet.

Night Vision hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wish I could say my first night vision experience was a success but I’d call it more of a learning experience. [emoji50]

I met Jason Friday evening to pick up a Photon RT ( thanks for meeting me so late Jason). When we got to the farm I checked it out then mounted it and decided it was too late to sight it in so went to bed. Saturday it rained most of the day and after one failed attempt on our “range”, I finally gave up waiting on the rain to stop so I set up a target behind the house and shot from the barn to get it sighted in. Would have gone smooth if I’d paid closer attention to the instructions Friday night but I adjusted the wrong way and took the second round of shots off of the paper. Got it sighted in, went to dinner, and waited for dark. When we got back from dinner I grabbed my gun and headed out on foot. There has been so much rain I didn’t want to mess up the roads with the Ranger. After wading through mud for a few hundred yards I got to the first field and looked through the scope. I couldn’t see more than about 40 yards and walked through that field to the next and still couldn’t see squat. I stood in the darkness for a while listening for hogs or coyotes and eventually picked up a lone rabbit which I watched for a while. Disappointed with the range and not heating anything I returned to the house. Once I got there I was standing at the back of my pickup and decided to take the scope off of the gun to see if that made any difference and about that time heard the dogs barking down at my sister’s. I looked through the scope in that direction and saw a deer in the field around 250 yards out. I remounted the scope and range dropped to about 40 yards. Thinking I must have mounted the QD amount crooked, I removed the 12 screws and went outside to look through the scope sitting on the ring bases. Still no range so I picked the scope up off of the bases and everything cleared up. After messing with it for a few minutes, I finally realized the IR light was bouncing off of my fixed front sight and washing out the image in the scope. I went back inside, mounted the scope as far forward as I could, and adjusted the IR light as far away from the sight as I could. I went back outside and finally have a decent view with the scope mounted. It isn’t perfect but it is hunt-able. It was late and I didn’t want to sight it in again so went to bed. This morning I went outside, shot 3 rounds with one load and 3 rounds with another with a corn sack as a rest. No adjustments necessary.

So I learned I definitely need a tripod for night hunting when I’m on foot, you need to pay attention to front iron sights if you are using IR, I need something other than a mounted scope for scanning the fields, and I can’t wait until my thermal comes in.

Haven’t decided if I’m going to hunt with the scope like it is or if maybe a riser would eliminate the rest of the IR bounce back.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
      Newbie here.

What entry level night vision scope, with day capabilities a huge plus what is suggested?

Looking at Photon XT and ATN X-Sight currently.

In spite of my first experience, the Photon RT is a great scope and the built in IR light is sufficient (understatement) without having to buy an additional light. Consider total cost and that makes the RT a pretty good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Lip; 02-18-2018, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lip View Post
        In spite of my first experience, the Photon RT is a great scope and the built in IR light is sufficient (understatement) without having to buy an additional light. Consider total cost and that makes the RT a pretty good deal.

Thanks.

And in your case I would get rid of the fixed front sight before trying a riser. AR’s are tough enough to get cheek weld without raising the scope.

Comment

Thanks.

And in your case I would get rid of the fixed front sight before trying a riser. AR’s are tough enough to get cheek weld without raising the scope.

Newbie to AR’s but it’s an LE6920 and I think I would pretty much need a new barrel or someone that knows more than me.
          Good excuse for a new upper?[emoji2]
          Last edited by Lip; 02-18-2018, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Newby to AR’s but it’s an LE6920 and I think I would pretty much need a new barrel or someone that knows more than me.

Just a new gas block.

Comment

Just a new gas block.
              I'll probably just live with it until my thermal comes in. I can see a couple hundred yards. My original thought was buy the RT to use until my Pulsar comes in and then sell it to get most of my money back. If I get to use it a few weekends and it costs $100 bucks, it's still cheaper than renting one for a few weekends.

I can see the sight through the scope in the daytime but it doesn't distract me. The only issues so far with the RT is the focus ring. When switching directions it has a little slack in it then adjusts the focus rapidly. This makes it a bit difficult to get a sharp focus.

Comment

Just built this and mounted my ATN x-sight II. Nothing fancy, but should do the trick for now. Cant wait to get it in the woods at night on pig/yote patrol!

Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by fishingsetx View Post
                  Just built this and mounted my ATN x-sight II. Nothing fancy, but should do the trick for now. Cant wait to get it in the woods at night on pig/yote patrol!

How is that little flir unit for scanning?

Comment

Originally posted by ttubudd View Post
                    How is that little flir unit for scanning?

Pretty good for the price. I havent used it to actually hunt with yet, but ive used it around the neighborhood and the fields/pipelines around the plant I work at. Animals that are rabbit sized or larger will show up like a sore thumb out to at least 125-150 yds on a cool clear night. You arent able to identify what they are, at that range, unless they are really large (think cow vs deer), but you can tell something is out there. For less than $500, it works pretty good.

Last edited by fishingsetx; 02-19-2018, 08:23 AM.

Comment

I met Jason Friday evening to pick up a Photon RT ( thanks for meeting me so late Jason).
                      Glad to help Lip! Sorry you didn't get a bunch of hogs this weekend. You know that problem with the fixed front sight on the AR is a new one to me but it makes total sense! That new IR on the Photon RT S models is SO bright and the way it's located it is bouncing that IR light right back at you. Man I'd never considered that. The old IR's weren't near as bright so it wasn't to much of an issue and if you had an external IR, it would usually be down on your rail, below the front sight and wouldn't cause a problem.

I'm glad you overall like the RT. Man that IR light is bright, I'm extremely impressed with it. I hope to have my Youtube review up early this week and when I do I'll post it over here.

- Jason

Comment

Newbie here.

What entry level night vision scope, with day capabilities a huge plus what is suggested?

Looking at Photon XT and ATN X-Sight currently.
                        The Photon XT's were recently discontinued and replaced with the Photon RT's. The ATN X-Sight II's look like they are likely to be discontinued as well because ATN announced a new model of the X-Sights called the 4K at the SHOT Show last month. It's likely to be several weeks or even a couple months before they start shipping.

The new Photon RT's are already shipping and they are awesome, a really great upgrade from the XT's with internal video recording, streaming to your phone via a free app and a super bright IR illuminator on the S models. It's still black and white during the day so if you want day time capabilities it's not a great choice. The ATN's looks pretty nice during the day and being able to record in full color in the daylight is a nice feature. With that said, I'd personally stick Sightmark over ATN for a lot of reasons but if I was in the market for an X-Sight I would at least wait until the new 4K's come out and see what you think of them.

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
                          Glad to help Lip! Sorry you didn't get a bunch of hogs this weekend. You know that problem with the fixed front sight on the AR is a new one to me but it makes total sense! That new IR on the Photon RT S models is SO bright and the way it's located it is bouncing that IR light right back at you. Man I'd never considered that. The old IR's weren't near as bright so it wasn't to much of an issue and if you had an external IR, it would usually be down on your rail, below the front sight and wouldn't cause a problem.

I'm glad you overall like the RT. Man that IR light is bright, I'm extremely impressed with it. I hope to have my Youtube review up early this week and when I do I'll post it over here.

- Jason

At least there is an adjustment on the IR light that helps quite a bit. I may add a cone, kinda like a sun shade to the IR to see if I can totally eliminate the bounce back.

Comment

We’re having issues with a sounder of hogs in the Brazoria/Galveston Co. area. Anyone with a pulsar thermal scope like to swing by and show us how awesome these scopes are this weekend?

Comment

Wish you were closer.

Comment

Yes sir although you’d probably be heading home short one scope!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X