SHNF 17-18 ( the real deal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
    Yup, last year, national forest. The wind swirls bad where I hunt and seems to change hourly at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's what I figured. Any tips or advice to help combat this, cause my spots are like 3 miles in and I usually sweat anytime it's over 40 degrees goin in

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefWhackABuck View Post
      That's what I figured. Any tips or advice to help combat this, cause my spots are like 3 miles in and I usually sweat anytime it's over 40 degrees goin in

Pop up blind to help conceal as much scent as possible or get way up a tree. Really only options.

Comment

Pop up blind to help conceal as much scent as possible or get way up a tree. Really only options.

How far up do you guys advise? I got a climber

Comment

I have a thin rope that ties to my bow/rifle and back pack that is 25 ft long tide to the platform of my climber. When the platform gets tight that's where I stop about 27/30 feet up never been spotted, I also burn leaves and twigs and trap the smoke in a plastic bag then put my clothes and empty backpack in there over night helps conceal scent pretty good

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
            I have a thin rope that ties to my bow/rifle and back pack that is 25 ft long tide to the platform of my climber. When the platform gets tight that's where I stop about 27/30 feet up never been spotted, I also burn leaves and twigs and trap the smoke in a plastic bag then put my clothes and empty backpack in there over night helps conceal scent pretty good
            Awesome, appreciate the advice!

Comment

Some guys have good success with ozonics. But that's out of my price range. I always climb 30', unless that specific tree has better cover between 20-25'. My pull up rope is 30' so.

And Sarge, that is not a legal deer.

Comment

Good to see you Brad and Bryant and Lee!

Comment

I usually wear the minimum going in. I would rather be cold than hot. I put clothes in a pack and put that on my climber. After everything is set up, and I cool down, I spray down again and put hunting clothes on. Orange is not required until daylight so I do not even put that on until I go up the tree. Of course at 70+ at 5am you will still sweat.

Comment

Yup, last year, national forest. The wind swirls bad where I hunt and seems to change hourly at times.
                    The wind swirls most the time and changes directions constantly. Unless the wind is blowing 15 mph or faster or 1 mph or slower. I think it's due to the trees.

Comment

Originally posted by NF HUNTER View Post
                      I guess a lot of the Sam hunters are on that Sam Houston Facebook page, Too bad they don't have any of the really good hunters on it!!
                      That's why I'm on here instead of there. I'd rather talk with people who have an idea of what they're doing [emoji28]
                      Chief, Out of all the SHNF hunting threads, posts, Facebook pages this one is the "Real Deal"! There are three of us on here that have at least 74 years of combined experience of hunting the Sam. So Chief your on the right thread, page!

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
                        I usually wear the minimum going in. I would rather be cold than hot. I put clothes in a pack and put that on my climber. After everything is set up, and I cool down, I spray down again and put hunting clothes on. Orange is not required until daylight so I do not even put that on until I go up the tree. Of course at 70+ at 5am you will still sweat.
                        Tim, I do the same, I hate to sweat while hunting.

Comment

Tim, I do the same, I hate to sweat while hunting.
                          I wish I could avoid sweating. But just being outside in the weather here gets me drenched, even if I was just in shorts and a tank :/

Comment

Chief it will cool off it should be 61ish Saturday morning!! I'm excited about that!

Comment

Chief it will cool off it should be 61ish Saturday morning!! I'm excited about that!
                              I know me too! I'm waiting for those 30s and 40s though, too bad it won't happen until the deer have been knocked all over the place, so it isn't of a ton of use then

Comment

Here in East Texas I prefer 40-55 degrees. Even though the 30's do feel better.

Comment

Working...
                                X