DIY Solar Panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
    Well, I bit the bullet and ordered two of the flexible 120 watt 24v panels as well as a small wind turbine. I need to read back through the posts to find the charge controller you are running (I already forgot from our phone call an hour ago. I guess I'm getting old). I will order another one or two panels on the 5th. Then I will be looking at expanding my battery storage capacity...

Here is the one that I bought;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141024539209...84.m1497.l2649

You want to find an MPPT controller. Add up the total amperage you will probably end up with in solar panel power and make sure that the charge controller you buy can handle the power. It is always better to go with a higher rating than too small of a rating. For example, a 10 amp MPPT controller would handle 2 of those panels that you ordered, but would be too small when you add 2 more (for a total of 4 of those flexible panels).

I bought a 20 amp MPPT controller so I can upgrade to more panels down the road. If you are thinking you might be adding a bunch more panels down the road then you might want to go with a 30 amp controller to give you room for future upgrades.

Comment

If anyone is interested, I have 40 (I believe) 6"x6" blank panels, tabbing wire, and flux pen (over 100 watts total at 13.5v) to put together your own solar panel. I am in it all a little over $75. I will sell it all for $50. Will try and post pics tonight. If no interest here, I will post it in the classifieds or ebay.

BTW, youtube has several DIY videos to assist in putting it together.
      ~Michael

Comment

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIeLcTw90_A"]Solar - Tabbing Tutorial - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

My little 50 watt wind turbine arrived today. I put it together and am now trying to decide where on the shop to mount it...

Comment

I was wrong on my DIY kit for sale. 130 watts total. 36, 3.6v panels

Comment

My DIY solar kit has been spoken for and no longer avaliable...

Comment

I am kicking this back to the top so I can quick access it later. I ordered "a couple" panels that 91cavgt just picked up for me because he has a 1ton truck . Look for a long, ongoing, DIY thread soon. I plan to start with taking my work-shop "off the grid" to start...

Comment

big panels?......

Comment

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
                    big panels?......
                    and a "few" of them, you could say that, yes. @ 1,500 lbs worth

Comment

ya could have called..I have goose neck.....BTW...we will be living up there in the next few weeks...

Comment

ya could have called..I have goose neck.....BTW...we will be living up there in the next few weeks...
                        AWESOME!!!! I have my insurance heath checkup next week so I will have to go hang out with my drinking buddy

Comment

I'll see if I can accommodate ya!

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                            Power inverters. Once again, there are a LOT of power inverters out there, and there is a lot to know about power inverters. There are everything from power inverters that will fit in your truck cup holder to ones that need multiple, large gauge power wires connected to it and a WHOLE LOT in between. So, let's chat about the different types of power inverters.

The ONLY difference between these different types of power inverters is how clean the power is that the inverter produces. Square wave inverters, modified sine wave inverters, and pure sine wave inverters are the 3 different types of power inverters.

So what is the difference between those 3 different types of power inverters?

Square wave inverters are typically the cheapest first off. Square wave inverters are going to have the dirtiest power out of all of them. Ok, so what does that mean in the real life? It means that items that need clean power will either not run off of a square wave inverter, or if they do run then the power inverter could do damage to the sensitive electronics. Take any item that charges a lithium battery for example. Most lithium battery chargers will not work at all on square wave inverters. So what will work on a square wave inverter? Lights, fans, and most power tools will run just fine. The really bad thing about square wave inverters is that you have to look in the specifications of the inverter to find out if it is a square wave inverter.

Modified sine wave inverters are getting to be very common and are pretty affordable. They will run some sensitive electronic devices as the power is cleaner than a square wave inverter, but not as clean as a pure sine wave inverter. You can run devices like TVs, microwave ovens, most computers, and a majority of other devices off of these. They are by far the most popular power inverters to use because of the lower price but yet still some decent power.

Pure sine wave inverters on the other hand will produce power that is identical to your home electrical outlet (it may in fact be more stable). You can run pretty much any device you want to off of these pure sine wave inverters and you don't have to worry about damaging sensitive electronics, and lithium battery chargers will work on pure sine wave inverters. The down fall is that they will cost more.

No matter what power inverter you go to buy, look at the specifications to find out what type of power inverter it is. Also, plan ahead when buying a power inverter. You might not need a pure sine wave inverter now, but down the road you might need one. At bare minimum I would buy a modified sine wave inverter.

Keep in mind too that there are some things that you just don't want to plug into a power inverter. Items that produce heat are one thing that are HUGE power hogs! Most power inverter can not run a toaster, no matter what the power inverter's power rating. Toaster ovens, blow dryers, electric clothes dryers, electric heaters, all of those are items that VERY few power inverters can handle. Those that can handle it will use a consume a LOT of power to power them.

I'm looking to upgrade my inverter. I've been running a cheap Husky 750 watt for a couple of years and even though it still works fine the noise from the fans is getting old.

I'm sure newer ones are quieter.

What do you think about this AIMS inverter?

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                              I'm looking to upgrade my inverter. I've been running a cheap Husky 750 watt for a couple of years and even though it still works fine the noise from the fans is getting old.

I'm sure newer ones are quieter.

What do you think about this AIMS inverter?

http://www.theinverterstore.com/1250...r-12-volt.html
                              That fan will be as loud or louder than your Husky...

Comment

I'll see if I can accommodate ya!
                                Sounds like a plan to me

Comment

Working...
                                X