Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunt

Brizendine's is good, and very inexpensive. Rumor has it you don't get your whole deer back. I don't think that is true, but it would be believable that they are a little sloppy with their cuts, so maybe...but I keep going back. Every other place around I have checked is so expensive that I would happily donate a little meat.

Comment

Also, I hunted unit 13 this weekend. I saw one for horned yearling buck, three times. That was all I saw. It is not a spot for bow hunting though, as you are required to use their blind, and it overlooks a large field. I didn't scout, since you aren't allowed to hunt anywhere but their blind anyway. I had the road directly in front of me about 125 yards away with constant traffic, and the knowledge that my unit had 110 acres of prime habitat behind me that I could not see, or hunt. Bummer. I may go back, but it WILL NOT be unit 13.

Comment

struck out, saw a group of 6 does on the other sdie of the fence, waited for them to come over to my side, but didnt.

Bigcat73, congrats and wheres the pics?

Comment

Viper I will upload in the next day or so. Tried to do it just now but apparently I can not just copy from iPad and post, I need to signup for Flickr or another site where I can get a URL. That is unless y'all know any tricks or tell me an easier way to do it!

Comment

Hunted Dec. 17 all day

Got there Friday night and set up my blinds so I could just go straight in Saturday and hunt. Heard nothing, woods were silent. Thought maybe it was the drop in temps coming Sunday or maybe the rut being over? It was so eerily quiet, I didn't see anything. I could hear ATVs and hammering/shooting constantly west of me. Almost sounded like construction it was happening so much, or a gun range. I hunted all day Saturday didn't hear a peep, and didn't stay for the Sunday temp drop.

Comment

use imgur.com you don't have to sign up and you can either copy/paste your photo, drag and drop, or upload it. Once you do this they will give you a URL. It's super easy and quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigcat73 View Post
                Viper I will upload in the next day or so. Tried to do it just now but apparently I can not just copy from iPad and post, I need to signup for Flickr or another site where I can get a URL. That is unless y'all know any tricks or tell me an easier way to do it!
                use imgur.com you don't have to sign up and you can either copy/paste your photo, drag and drop, or upload it. Once you do this they will give you a URL. It's super easy and quick.

Comment

Any updates from last year's hunts? Anyone else get drawn for this hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by WamBow View Post
                    Any updates from last year's hunts? Anyone else get drawn for this hunt?
                    I got drawn today for the last hunt in December.

Comment

Anyone here hunted it recently...since 2013?

Comment

Ill be out, in Dad mode, on youth weekend Nov10-12.

Claimed his permit and noticed there was no unit # to be found. Anyone know how / when these are assigned? (In the preTPWD days, it was clearly stated on the permit.)

Comment

Originally posted by howabouttheiris View Post
                          Ill be out, in Dad mode, on youth weekend Nov10-12.

Claimed his permit and noticed there was no unit # to be found. Anyone know how / when these are assigned? (In the preTPWD days, it was clearly stated on the permit.)
                          I noticed that too. Gonna call tomorrow to find out but I'm guessing they will probably draw for them at the orientation.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
                            I noticed that too. Gonna call tomorrow to find out but I'm guessing they will probably draw for them at the orientation.
                            Kinda kills the scouting week...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by howabouttheiris View Post
                              Kinda kills the scouting week...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
                              Didnt think about that. We should definitely know ahead of time.

Comment

Hunted Unit 7j last year, from what i remember the assigned compartments were sent out in advance to allow scouting.

Pending 2nd draw for myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X