Looking for hog arrow suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for hog arrow suggestions

I typically shoot a GT Pierce 500 with 200 grains up front from my 45# bow for deer. This yields about a 470 grain arrow and pretty high FOC. Not sure I want to use it for hogs or not but I suspect it would be fine.

I also have a 50# recurve and some 400 shafts that I have not messed with yet. I was thinking of trying this setup at 30" and play with 150-200 grains up front.

Let me know what you would try and if you think my 45# setup is sufficient

Also curious to hear about your 50# recurve arrow setups.

I plan on using 2 blade VPA heads.

I think your good on hogs with your current set up. My 50# bows all need 200 grains up front with close to full length arrows with 400’s.

Comment

I shoot 50# at my 29”DL. I use .400 Spine Easton Axis FMJ shafts. I have to leave the at full length with 225gr up front to get them to tune very well!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Maybe a heavier 500 shaft with 150 grains up front would be a better option.....

Comment

200 grain VPA you have are good heads, and shooting around 10.5 grains per pound is fine for 45lb. I would do it.
          I am shooting 190 simmons interceptor up front and sometimes 250 VPA heads. thats from about a 49 and some change close to 50 pound draw.I have shot some pigs with 43 lb before under 100 pounds.

Comment

Zwicky with a steel insert for FOC and cost, and gold tip "hunter" or blem shafts for cost. No since tying up $20+ in a shaft to shoot hogs. They will also work fine for deer

Comment

What I use is arrows bought used off AT, usually one spine stiffer than I usually shoot. I carry three FMJs for deer and two of the stiffer used arrows for hogs with cheap Allen heads on them. I'm not gonna use good arrows and heads on a hog. All I'm interested in is bleeding him out and if he runs out of sight, I ain't looking for him long.

Comment

I think 470 grains would be ok for hogs but if you need to make your arrows heavier just run a piece of weed eater string down the inside of the shaft with yarn or something wrapped around it to make it not rattle

Comment

Originally posted by ChadMR82 View Post

Also curious to hear about your 50# recurve arrow setups.
                  My 50# bow shoots a 540 grain setup. Carbon Express Heritage 150s (.500 spine) cut to 29" with a 50 grain insert weight, 3 fletched, with a 175 grain head.

With some zwickeys, and with the arrow placed where it needed to be, I dropped two big hogs at last year's hog hunt.

That being said, I shot at a hog a few months back in very low light and hit him high, got a pass through, but no recovered hog.

The point of my story is, placement, placement, placement.

The same arrow gave me some issues on some deer as well...

placement, placement, placement, and sharp, strong, dependable broadheads

Comment

Palmer Recurve 50lbs at 27in
                    Easton Axis Trads 400 spine cut to 29.5"
                    75gr insert.
                    Palmer Extreme Cut 160gr broadheads.
                    Total arrow weighs about 575 grains

This pig was pushing 250 pounds in my opinion. (he wasn't weighed)

I think your current setup is fine for hunting pigs.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X