Rural Internet Options/Cord Cutting ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rural Internet Options/Cord Cutting ?

I didnt want to hijack the other cord cutting thread, so you guys that have cut the cord, how many gigs of data do you use a month on your internet? Our local phone/ cable/internet provider kind of still has us over a barrel. Our only other internet option right now is Hughes Net, which is $100 a month for 50 gigs, but slows way down after you use your 50. Is that enough data to watch a couple of tvs, browse the web, and FB daily?

short answer.... no

we had exceed (same type service) and it was torture trying to get through a Netflix episode. lots of buffering.

as far as data use, Netflix lets you downgrade the stream to help with using less data. youtube is where you will loose a lot of data.

the service was better than nothing, only other option we had at the time.

you can do it, but it wont be fun.

on the plus side, we did have very reliable service, almost never went out for storms and such.

do you have good cell service? you can try direct tv now, with certain att plans, they will let you stream all content free. if your cell service is good enough you could cast from phone or tablet to tv. convoluted work around but doable.

Comment

we use Rise Broadband, we watch Netflix, vudu, etc......most of the time we watch in 720 but they are upgrading tower soon

Comment

We have Verizon cell service, and probably not worth switching for streaming. Any other options out there?

Comment

I wouldn't recommend the Hughes Net for that purpose. Do you have a line-of-site tower available?
          My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            I wouldn't recommend the Hughes Net for that purpose. Do you have a line-of-site tower available?
            Not that I am aware of.

Comment

Originally posted by Txbownut View Post
              Not that I am aware of.
              Where in East Texas are you? I do work for several point to point internet providers, in the northeast Texas, Tyler area.

Comment

AT&T now has unlimited Data again and I cut off all internet and TV and went with Roku. I tether off my phone and the cost is about $100 a month for TV, Internet, and Phone. Add another $100 for my daughters phone and still way cheaper than anything I was paying before.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
                  AT&T now has unlimited Data again and I cut off all internet and TV and went with Roku. I tether off my phone and the cost is about $100 a month for TV, Internet, and Phone. Add another $100 for my daughters phone and still way cheaper than anything I was paying before.
                  This, except I use tmobile unlimited data and tethering. $75/month. Told att come get your router and don't need their aging utilities anymore. We run Netflix ($8) and sling tv ($26) through a roku (free). Internet goes with us wherever we go too. The true cut cord also means those terrible land line internet providers too...

Comment

Exceed upgraded their service to allow streaming more efficiently. It takes videos and puts them into SD format but you would be hard pressed to notice it on most tv's. You can turn the option off, too.

We have Exceed and could even think about streaming. Downloading to watch movies was also a long process that ate up our data allowance. Not now. We stream 1-2 movies every weekend and haven't used up our data yet.

We live in a Verizon only service area. We haven't had paid television in 14 years. We only have Wild Blue / Exceed for internet. Before those guys, we had ..... drum roll... dial up. I still remember how slow that was and I still appreciate Exceed. It ain't perfect, but they keep upgrading and getting better.

Comment

Working...
                    X