Shot My First Trad Shoot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shot My First Trad Shoot.

As a serious trad shooter I shot my first 3D shoot. I was hoping to break 200 but only managed 199.
    We were shooting center 11's. I had six 11's but for every 11 my next shot would either be a miss or a five.
    I tried really hard to focus on rotational draw and lining up my shot.
    In the end, I wasn't tired or sore and felt like I could shoot another round, thanks to rotational draw.
    For the most part, my left to right shots were pretty much on line except for the couple of times I plucked the string.
    I need to learn to judge my distance better. Big animals vs small animals, at different distances really throw me off.
    I certainly have goals to achieve for the next shoot.

Thanks to Cowtown for putting up a challenging course.

Sounds like you had a good day Geoff!! Just keep practicing and it will come. Also remember, 3D is a game. It is a fun game because we can play it with our bows. There are quite a few shots in 3D that most folks would never take while hunting.

I shot my first 3D shoot of 2018 today also. I shot ok, but nothing stellar. It was fun though, and I got to shoot at a club I have never shot at before, and meet a few new to me folks!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I’ve been sitting here looking for a shoot close enough and couldn’t find one. I’m chomping at the bit! Looks like I gotta couple weeks till something is going on within two hours of me. Six elevens is pretty darn good Geezy.

Comment

Keep at it. 3D sure makes learning a lot more fun! I shot my first round of 2018 and wasn’t terribly disappointed. Great job on six 11s. I only had 5 today.

Comment

Sounds like good shooting, Geezy. Like Bisch said, 3D shots are not all necessarily ones that you would really take in the field. Getting most of your shots on target left to right means you're only misgauging distance. In the field you would drastically limit the ranges and almost certainly know how far the game was. By the way, your 6 elevens beat my 5 twelves in our club's first shoot of the new year.

Comment

Thanks guys. I really enjoy 3D shoots. It's a fun game to test your skills and always challenges one to improve.

Comment

Good job geoffro.
              That's some good shooting

Comment

Originally posted by RACK View Post
                Good job geoffro.
                That's some good shooting
                Thanks buddy.

Comment

Great job ! Last year was my first year to shoot 3D seriously in many years. What helped me was to set small goals for myself. The first was to shoot a round with no zeros and the second was to shoot a round with an average of 8 points per target. I only accomplished each one ounce, but I'll continue to work on the same goals this year. You'll learn a lot from the really good shooters as many of them are willing to help us not so good shooters.

Comment

I really need to get back into 3d shooting, its been several years since I shot it seriously.

Comment

I need to get back out and at least shoot at Cowtown. It's 15 minutes from the house . . .

Comment

All the tbot shoots involve an overnight trip for me in south Texas, I really wish we could get some organized from San Antonio south. The new Archery shop in corpus showed some interest in sponsoring one. Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Comment

Good shootin’ Geoff - I could tell by our conversation on Saturday that you are truly hooked! As others have said your attitude at these shoots will progress as you gain confidence. You start by just hoping to not lose arrows. Then you get to where you are upset with 5s. There are some guys who are upset when they score a 8. (I’m not quite there yet!)
                          Last edited by jerp; 01-21-2018, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckc. View Post
                            All the tbot shoots involve an overnight trip for me in south Texas, I really wish we could get some organized from San Antonio south. The new Archery shop in corpus showed some interest in sponsoring one. Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Chuck, if you want this to happen, you need to get contact info to the TBoT rep, Glenn Buckhorn. Then he can get in touch with them to set up a date. They would have to have at least 30 targets, and some folks to set them up.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                              I need to get back out and at least shoot at Cowtown. It's 15 minutes from the house . . .
                              I wish you would. I'd like to shoot a round with you. I might could learn a thing or two.
                              Originally posted by jerp View Post
                              Good shootin’ Geoff - I could tell by our conversation on Saturday that you are truly hooked! As others have said your attitude at these shoots will progress as you gain confidence. You start by just hoping to not lose arrows. Then you get to where you are upset with 5s. There are some guys who are upset when they score a 8. (I’m not quite there yet!)
                              Thanks John. While I'm trying to have the confidence and drive to shoot tens I gotta admit that the sound of the arrow hitting foam is satisfying.
                              Tonite I practiced shooting my deer from different distances without ranging.

Comment

Working...
                              X