USA Archery Instructors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USA Archery Instructors

I'm kicking around the idea of getting my Level 1 certification. But I am still on the fence. Want to get some feedback from those who got theirs or Level 2 instructors who train Level 1s.

Here's the long and short of it. A couple years I got my BSA range master certification for cub scouts. This is not an NRA cert/USAA cert, but are supposed to be taught by somebody with that level of knowledge. Needless to say, there wasn't much to the instruction (at least in my opinion) and I was certified to run shooting sports at summer day camp, etc. You never really teach cub scouts how to shoot well, you teach them how to be safe and do enough to get the to fling an arrow down range and at the target. It took me a while to "let go" of the fact that I couldn't teach every cubby how to find a consistent anchor, etc. After all, they are just kids and focus is difficult to do in a day camp environment.

My adventures with cub scouts is coming to a close quickly. I will graduate my Webelos to Boy Scouts in just a short 6 months. I have been doing some reflecting in how I will participate in Boy Scouts going forward. Every time I've given it thought, I keep coming back to archery. I always here that there aren't many boys interested. I figure that is more due to the fact that very few leaders are enthusiastic about it compared to rifle shooting.

So I want to get trained so I can continue to introduce and teach archery to older scouts. However, I am reluctant to get training in an environment that is more about ripping through minimal requirements vs actually teaching. I know that this means that I most likely need to unlearn some bad form that I might have, etc.

Anybody recommend a good Level 2 + instructor to get my Level 1 from? At some point, getting my Level 2 would be important so that I could eventually train level 1s as well.

I guess I stumped the trad forum

Comment

Yea I think I heard crickets I was surprised no one responded !!

Comment

Check with Lynda at X10 Archery , she will know what direction you need to go. Likely as not, I'd guess she has all of the qualifications that you're looking for. She really knows her stuff and is a great person

Archery supplies for target archery, bow hunters, and recreational archers alike. All from a small business with a family spirit!
        Last edited by caughtandhobble; 06-19-2015, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Lynda was my Instructor for my Level one archery instructor certification.
          I am in Tomball/Magnolia area and was just talking to Tommie at LSBA about seeing if any scout troops would be interested in archery instruction to get their archery badge at the least.

Comment

Texas Archery Academy locations hold regular instructor training seminars for USA Archery levels, Boy & Girl Scout range master hosting, and summer camp archery counselor training.

New seminars pending…   USA Archery Certified Instructor Instructor seminars offered through TXAA:  Level 1 $100; Level 2 $150. (BSA, GSA, and Archery...

Also developing a network of instructors throughout the state to refer lesson inquiries.

Comment

I am a level 3 NTS instructor, but I don't teach as often as Lynda does.

I partner with another Level 3 instructor who is also a USArchery judge and we recently did a combined level 1 and level 2 in a 10-hour marathon day. It actually wasn't that bad.

I don't have another class scheduled anytime soon though, so check with Lynda and see what she's doing. Archery is her business. It's just my 2nd career. LOL.

John

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Comment

Working...
                X