No announcement yet.

Equipment Guidelines For Trad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a question hope its not to stupid, i dont ever plan on keeping score it is all just for fun for me i shoot traditionally to relax and enjoy myself my competetive days have been gone for about 10 years now. i got out of competing in 3D with compounds because of all the rules, the whining and crying. as stated it is all in fun and helps me prepare for hunting and ive found shooting 3-d with traditional guys has been a great and rearding experience in general all are very helpful seasoned hunters and knowledegble bowyers. My question is i have an old twisted up osage snake bow it is sinew backed mule deer antler tips ill probably be shooting cane arrows that im making. If im not keeping score does it matter what class i shoot in Ill happily pay any entrance fee alls i want to do is shoot for fun and enjoy the company of other traditional archers/hunters

Comment

Originally posted by howie1968 View Post
      I have a question hope its not to stupid, i dont ever plan on keeping score it is all just for fun for me i shoot traditionally to relax and enjoy myself my competetive days have been gone for about 10 years now. i got out of competing in 3D with compounds because of all the rules, the whining and crying. as stated it is all in fun and helps me prepare for hunting and ive found shooting 3-d with traditional guys has been a great and rearding experience in general all are very helpful seasoned hunters and knowledegble bowyers. My question is i have an old twisted up osage snake bow it is sinew backed mule deer antler tips ill probably be shooting cane arrows that im making. If im not keeping score does it matter what class i shoot in Ill happily pay any entrance fee alls i want to do is shoot for fun and enjoy the company of other traditional archers/hunters
      Sure don't to me, I don't do score cards neither..

Comment

wouldnt do me much good to score lol id just embarrass myself lol i promise ive seen some of you all shoot at cowtown and chester no danger of me creeping up and being at the top im usually in the bottom percentage but i really enjoy traditional and have managed to take a few animals so far including my first deer with a recurve last year 15 and under rule for me and 10 is even better

Comment

TBoT = Traditional Bowhunters of Texas! This is traditional archery, I think of it as shooting the way it was done for centuries. a bow a string and an arrow and the ability of the archer to make it work. That is why I got into this last March by picking up a bow of any kind for the first time. I am very happy I was talked into trad archery because I truly enjoy it and love all the people I have met in TBoT. ASA, IBO etc. have classes that allow multiple various set ups yet only a few trad archers participate in ASA shoots, not sure about IBO. Do we want to change from a bow a string, a arrow, an the ability of the archer? Last year my scores were at the bottom, this year somewhere in the middle, next year hope they are close to the top. But that will be because I took the time to practice learn my bow/arrow combination and how to properly set-up. Not because I used something that gave me an advantage. I want to compete because I the archer am better.
          Just my opinion.
          I do not care if you use an elevated rest or marks on the bow but do those things make you a better archer than someone else or just better at using technology to your advantage.

Comment

The following would be my preference.

(Classes, and other range rules included)

I would actually like to see this format at all Traditional Only shoots.

````````````````````````````````````

Equipment Guidelines, Classes, and Rules for TBoT

1 – Primitive:
            (A) Any all wood, non laminated bow, with the allowance of leather, or cloth backings, or similar derivatives of the two.
            (B) Arrow must be shot from shelf.
            (C) No markings may reside on the string, or the bow which may be used as sights.
            (D) No more than two nocking points may reside on the string spaced no more than ½” apart and the arrow must be nocked in between them. One finger must be touching the arrow.
            (E) If a single nocking point is used, the arrow must be touching it either above, or below,
            and one finger must be touching the arrow.
            (F) No Sights, No Stabilizers, No Mechanical releases.
            (G) Wood arrows only.

2 - Longbow Wood:
            (A) Any Longbow
            (B) Adhesive stick on type rests are allowed.
            The rest must be adhesively attached directly to the sight window of the bow. No bolt on types,
            and no cushion plungers.
            (C) No markings may reside on the string, or the bow which may be used as sights.
            (D) No more than two nocking points may reside on the string spaced no more than ½” apart and the arrow must be nocked in between them. One finger must be touching the arrow.
            (E) If a single nocking point is used, the arrow must be touching it either above, or below,
            (G) Wood arrows only.

3 - Recurve Wood:
            (A) Any Recurve
            (B) Adhesive stick on type rests are allowed.
            The rest must be adhesively attached directly to the sight window of the bow. No bolt on types,
            and no cushion plungers.
            (G) Wood arrows only

4- Longbow Open:
            (A) Any Longbow
            (B) Elevated, non adjustable type rests, that are stick-on, or are solid bolt mounted without cushion plungers are allowed.
            (F) No Sights, No Mechanical releases
            (G) Single hunting style stabilizers of no more than 8” in length are allowed.
            (H) Any arrow other than wood

5 - Recurve Open:
            (A) Any Recurve
            (B) Elevated, non adjustable type rests, that are stick-on, or are solid bolt mounted without cushion plungers are allowed.
            (F) No Sights, No Mechanical releases
            (G) Single hunting style stabilizers of no more than 8” in length are allowed.
            (H) Any arrow other than wood

6 – Unlimited:
            (A) Any Recurve, or Longbow.
            (B) Any and all accessories are allowed except electronic sights and mechanical releases.
            (C) String walking, markings on the string, or the bow, and/or multiple (more than two) nocking points
            are considered as sighting mechanisms, and may be used in this class only.

Other:
            (A) Binoculars are allowed on the courses, but must be used prior to your turn to shoot.
            (B) Arrows are to be no less than 6 inches shorter than the draw length of the archer using the bow. (e.g., to allow Turkish, siper-type overdraws but disallow vertical crossbows.)
            (C))Some part of the body must be touching the stake, except for cubs and mini cubs who may shoot from where they feel comfortable.
            (D) One must shoot the class they signed up for or their score will be disallowed.
            (E) Release shall be accomplished with the digits of the drawing hand.
            In the event a participant is unable to meet the guidelines as specified but it is felt the style meets the intent and purpose of this organization, they an submit appeal for acceptance to the Executive Council (EC). The EC shall than decide the issue.
            (F) Cane/River Cane arrows are classified as wood. Wood arrows may have metal footings as screw in point adapters.

Classes:
            (1) Seniors — Over 55 (No gender separation)
            (2) Primitive — Self Bow (No gender separation)
            (3) Unlimited — (No gender separation)
            (4) Men's Recurve Open — any arrow other than wood
            (5) Men's Recurve Wood — wood arrows only
            (6) Men's Longbow Open — any arrow other than wood
            (7) Men's Longbow Wood — wood arrows only
            (8) Ladies Recurve Open — any arrow other than wood
            (9) Ladies Recurve Wood — wood arrows only
            (10) Ladies Longbow Open - any arrow other than wood
            (11) Ladies Longbow Wood - wood arrows only
            (12) Boy's Recurve (15-17) — any arrows
            (13) Boy's Longbow (15-17) — any arrows
            (14) Girls (15-17) — Recurve or Longbow, any arrows
            (15) Boy's Recurve (12-14) – any arrows
            (16) Boy's Longbow (12-14) – any arrows
            (17) Girls (12-14) – Recurve or Longbow, any arrows
            (18) Cubs (9-11) – Recurve or Longbow, any arrows
            (19) Mini Cubs (8 and under) – Recurve or Longbow, any arrows

Rick
            Last edited by RickBarbee; 04-15-2011, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by howie1968 View Post
              Howie, under Rick's rules you could shoot in Primitive, Longbow Wood and Unlimited I believe. I know cane is not wood but I believe it would be considered wood. So looks like you could shoot up to 3 classes. And if you are over 55 then probably 4. That should get you thru a weekend...Van

Comment

LOL Van, you and I posted at the same time I guess.

Yes - I would classify cane arrows as woodies. 8^)

Check out my post just above this one.

Rick

Comment

I guess I better buy me some wooden shafts... cause I ain't sticking no stabilizer on a longbow... I quit compounds to get rid of all that crap..

Comment

Originally posted by JAVI View Post
                    I guess I better buy me some wooden shafts... cause I ain't sticking no stabilizer on a longbow... I quit compounds to get rid of all that crap..
                    JAVI, just cuz it says the stabs are allowed in a class, don't mean you gotta use one. Shooting against someone with a hunting stab on a bow don't scare me none. I was forced to shoot in the "Recurve Unaided" class for many years in the IBO, because I shot from an elevated rest. Stabs were allowed in that class, but I didn't use one ever, and I won that class at multiple levels on multiple occasions.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                      JAVI, just cuz it says the stabs are allowed in a class, don't mean you gotta use one. Shooting against someone with a hunting stab on a bow don't scare me none. I was forced to shoot in the "Recurve Unaided" class for many years in the IBO, because I shot from an elevated rest. Stabs were allowed in that class, but I didn't use one ever, and I won that class at multiple levels on multiple occasions.

Rick
                      I could have shot pins and an 12" stabilizer in the Pro class too, but I didn't I used the best equipment allowed..

I quit pro archery to get back to simple and adding stuff to a longbow ain't keeping it simple... Not trying to be difficult, just expressing my opinion..

Traditional archery shouldn't be about gadgets.. it should be about wooden bows and a human's ability to shoot them unaided.

It ain't about me anyway, I will most likely never turn in another score card... But to me it is about my grandkids and bringing them up in traditional archery, I want to keep it TRADITIONAL.
                      Last edited by Mike Javi Cooper; 04-15-2011, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JAVI View Post
                        I could have shot pins and an 12" stabilizer in the Pro class too, but I didn't I used the best equipment allowed..

I quit pro archery to get back to simple and adding stuff to a longbow ain't keeping it simple... Not trying to be difficult, just expressing my opinion..

Traditional archery shouldn't be about gadgets..
                        I know you're not trying to be difficult. Your input is greatly appreciated, and valued.

My point was - When talking recurves, and longbows, a lot of that equipment isn't going to gain anyone an advantage on a 3D course.

What you find difficult, or aggravating to deal with others are very happy with.

I guess I have a different mind set than a lot of folks do about Traditional Archery, and Bowhunting.
                        You see I don't see it as being simpler. I see it as more challenging, and I don't like it when folks dumb it down to an almost child like activity when comparing it to compound shooting.

Trad Archers, and Bowhunters who put in their time to be good at it are just as "Professional" if not more so, than anything/anyone else.

Trying to specify the classes, and equipment regulations as I am doing here is only an effort to bring the community together, and stop outcasting those who maybe don't like as simple as the next person.

Rest, sights, and even overdraws have been used on stickbows for eons. Much longer than any of us have been a live, except for maybe Van .

Rick

P.S.
                        I prefer to shoot off the shelf, and keep the equipment simple also.
                        The only reason I ever started shooting from an elevated rest is because I was shooting for Martin Archery at the time, and the bow they wanted me to use could not be shot from the shelf.
                        Last edited by RickBarbee; 04-15-2011, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Ill tell you i love traditional archer!! im not a total convert but more times then none i have a recurve or stickbow in my hand. there is just something about carrying it into the woods, heck half the time i find the biggest oak lean up against it with recurve in my hand and take a nap. heck i even bet another TBH er while hunting alazan Bayou Named Luna tuna i was fast asleep on the highline when he came up on me lol had my kodiak magnum already shot a doe that morning just layed out on gods green earth and went to sleep with my curve in my hand

Comment

#5 G I am against this one. No stabs in rc open, please. Put 'em in unlimited.
                            Last edited by Deb; 04-15-2011, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deb View Post
                              #5 G I don't want stabs allowed in rc open.
                              I have no problem with not allowing stabs until the "Unlimited" class, although I see it as a non issue if the stabs are restricted to a single unit, and to a specific size.

As someone has mentioned before in another thread - I get just as much benefit (actually more all around) from a bow mounted quiver as I can achieve from a hunting style stabilizer.

We're not going to outlaw bow quivers are we?
                              I sure hope not.

Comment

Rick,

Of course it's more challenging than compound archery. Especially if you shoot true instinctive, but it's also much simpler. The very fact that we don't have drop-away rests to time,sights to set, cams to time stabilizers to setup or chronographs to shoot through make it much, much simpler; not easier, just simpler...

That very simplicity is what attracts most folks to traditional archery and provides the challenge you speak of, why lessen the challenge (perceived or real) by adding a lot of gadgetry to the bow. Like I said earlier, instead of changing every class; just add one to accommodate those who feel the need for gadgetry.

Comment

Working...
                                X