No announcement yet.

AR counties can sure suck sometimes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=30-30;13860622]Folks have to understand that the rules we have now are better for herd health and buck quality than what we had before; and that TPWD can’t expect the average hunter in Texas to correctly age a deer through their scope. TPWD needed to put a regulation in place that at least partially corresponded to age in order to protect our youngest bucks. Spread is/was the best they could do. What if the law read 8 points or better? Every promising 2-year-old would be shot.... The vast majority of 4+ year-old bucks will have a spread greater than 13 inches. Old, skinny bucks are an unfortunate, rare exception.

What, if any, regulations do those opposed to AR suggest?[/QUOTE]

How about every 3 or 4 years remove the regulation for 1 season. Then folks could kill those mature 13 or less bucks and not worry about fines. Sure many younger bucks would die as well but, not in significant numbers to make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
      I think he will break 13" and be closer to 14" or 14 1/2". Those ears are wider than 13" on that buck.

I asked about the ears before . No way do I believe that all deer have the exact same width on their ears .

Comment

I don’t see any reason “AR sucks” in this case or any others. It seems like your point is you want to shoot a big mature buck as you say there are other shooters around. Those exist probably as a result of AR and this is one exception. If you were meat hunting you could take a younger legal buck or doe. I kinda feel like this is almost a case to defend AR and the mature deer it’s produced across the state. I for one am thankful for them and enjoy seeing a variety of age classes and horn sizes compared to only seeing basket 4 pointers prior to AR’s.

Comment

I’m debating the rules and whether they do more harm than good, but I think OPs deer is legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
            So how are you measuring a dead deers ears? How are you getting them to stay in an alert position?
            Some are measured after getting them from the taxi, the rest, you get someone to hold them in positon and at different angles. Not rocket science!!
            I remember one buck I picked up to deliever. I swear, looking at it by TPWD rules, it wouldn't make AR. BUT, it was a big ole deer. 18 inch inside spread. Deer was mounted in alert position. Ear tip to ear tip, 18 inches. But like I said, this was a BIG OLE DEER. Big ole deer will fool you.

Comment

Y’all gripe about ARs. Before you complained about not seeing bucks much less mature bucks. So what if a few bucks don’t make it. The state had to implement laws to manage since many just blast any buck they see. If you can’t tell that ARs are paying off you’re either blind or in denial. If you were that concerned about it, you’d go MLD....

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                I think he will break 13" and be closer to 14" or 14 1/2". Those ears are wider than 13" on that buck.
                yeah, tell that to the game wayden

Comment

Originally posted by FireMedic26 View Post
                  Luckily for us, here in Cass Co, the game wardens are a little lenient; as long as you call them. They understand that it's hard to judge 13" from a distance. If you call them with a 12 1/2" or 12 3/4" spread, they'll probably okay it; but if they catch you driving home with it, you're probably getting a ticket. On another note though, it's helped our deer herd out a lot. Me and 2 friends hunt a small 369 acre lease, and this year I shot a 9 pt buck with a 17 1/4" spread. I understand that isn't big to some folks, but it's easily the biggest buck I've ever harvested.
                  Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                  Are you saying the Wardens in Cass County will give you the green light to shoot an illegal deer if you ask them first? Or if you turn yourself in for shooting one they will let it slide?
                  I would think he's full of BS, I would think if the wardens are doing this they could be in hot water. Yeah I suppose there are rare occasions where a warning is written but they are not tellling people it OK to shoot <13" deer.

Originally posted by glen View Post
                  I agree it is not a perfect system. I just laugh at the guys that say its done for money for he state. I also laugh at the guys that act like a Game Warden has a magic wand and can allow someone to violate the law because they fell like it is the right thing to do. They are not hired to write the laws they are there for enforcement. they are not there to enforce them on just the people they think did it on purpose and let the ones go that did it for the right reason. I find it humorous that someone would think it works in this manner.
                  100%

Originally posted by TXHunter12 View Post
                  And this is the ridiculous world we are in! Let’s look at ears and antlers and try to decide if a deer is 12 15/16 or 13 inches. No common sense about age is applied.

Game wardens are good people but make no mistake they would ticket their own family member if it was 12 15/16
                  X2
                  Last edited by bossbowman; 12-15-2018, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Every warden I’ve spoken to about this issue the message that was relayed back was the rule was created to save young deer not mature, old deer that don’t make the cut. Without out right saying shoot the deer the message was conveyed that they personally didn’t write tickets for deer like that. In my experience these deer are almost always the exception to the rule. Either wait one more year for him to get bigger or harvest the deer and be ready to suffer the consequences if confronted by a warden on the issue and it doesn’t go your way. We are currently hunting 2 very mature, borderline deer that given the chance I would harvest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Understand, I am all for the ARs, its just you should have a little common sense on a deer that is sub 13", yet mature. Really, this is the only draw back to the 13" rule. As I stated above, it was to let young 2-3 year old deer live and express their potential.

Comment

Don't blame the GWs. They just enforce the law, not make or interpret it. If you want a pass on a less than 13" buck go to the JP or judge and ask them. They are the ones who set the penalties and fines.
                        Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                          I would think he's full of BS, I would think if the wardens are doing this they could be in hot water. Yeah I suppose there are rare occasions where a warning is written but they are not tellling people it OK to shoot <13" deer.
                          I don't personally know anyone here, so what the hell would I lie to you about. I'm just telling you what I've seen. I have no reason to lie. That's the kind of comments that really bother me from folks like you. I'm telling my experiences and ideas on these post, just like everyone else; and then I have some guy accusing me of lying.

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
                            Every warden I’ve spoken to about this issue the message that was relayed back was the rule was created to save young deer not mature, old deer that don’t make the cut. Without out right saying shoot the deer the message was conveyed that they personally didn’t write tickets for deer like that. In my experience these deer are almost always the exception to the rule. Either wait one more year for him to get bigger or harvest the deer and be ready to suffer the consequences if confronted by a warden on the issue and it doesn’t go your way. We are currently hunting 2 very mature, borderline deer that given the chance I would harvest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            This. People questioning the implication that a warden can or will green-light a deer are missing the point. They likely won’t outright tell you it’s ok, but they don’t have to give you a ticket either.

Comment

13" rule works! Look at the quality the East TX deer are getting.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                                Some are measured after getting them from the taxi, the rest, you get someone to hold them in positon and at different angles. Not rocket science!!
                                I remember one buck I picked up to deliever. I swear, looking at it by TPWD rules, it wouldn't make AR. BUT, it was a big ole deer. 18 inch inside spread. Deer was mounted in alert position. Ear tip to ear tip, 18 inches. But like I said, this was a BIG OLE DEER. Big ole deer will fool you.
                                You are correct, it’s not rocket science. But it’s also not rocket science to figure out that that method is based apon someone else’s interpretation of where they think the ears “should” be.

They whole system is flawed because it is based apon each individuals interpretation of what they “think” 13” is.
                                I agree it has done some degree of good but I also think that it is effective for only a few years. Some deer will never reach 13 and Once those deer that are sub 13 reach maturity they should be culled to prevent the genetic traits from being further passed.
                                But..... that opens a whole nother can of worms in the fact that those deer have already spread their genes and it’s up to each individual to decide when a deer has reached maturity. Which we all know that half the people on here can’t agree on, just like what is 13 and what isn’t.

Comment

Working...
                                X