FOC increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by enewman View Post
    It's not going to be easy to find a 250 spine. I know I bought some arrow dynamic stingers. 250 spine. Out of twelve. Three were .280 to .290. The rest where around .305 not a bad arrow just I was wanting the 250 spine. I just don't see how they can make a stiff spine and still be lite in weight.

Check out Black Eagle Arrows. They've got "Long Draw" shafts in many of their arrows.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBlkCld View Post
      Check out Black Eagle Arrows. They've got "Long Draw" shafts in many of their arrows.
      Dude... Good tip.

A 10.7 gpi arrow @ .250 deflection MAY work for me with a crossbow trick and helical feathers.

Comment

FOC increase

Ok how do you decide what spine. I've been working a while now on that. I've had some good results out to 30 ft. Then it goes to crap. All me, my grip is bad. But I can take a 340 spine and it shoots good with total of 250 gn up front. That arrow is very weak according to ontarget. Same as my 300 spine. Around 315 total up front. Weak on program.

I like to stay above 19%. Do I think it's needed no. And around 500 to 575 mark. The weight is mainly just to keep the bow as quite as possible. Is that needed no. I think the arrows your building at that 450 mark are great. I just like the sound difference.

If you are referring to bare shafting out to 30' then I simply don't fool with that. OT is a good starting point but I really try to work with the dynamic spine while broad head tuning. It's more simple for me than most, here is why:
        I shoot a shorter arrow, bumps the FOC
        I shoot between 62-65#'s this means most of the time I can stay in a weaker spine with less GPI, bumps the FOC a little more
        I take a "baby steps" approach to building FOC a little here a little there working the arrow NOT weight up front to give me High FOC with a mid-weight arrow. If you simply start loading up the front of an arrow shaft with 200+ grains then you really have to get the shaft right, which can be difficult. Just remember audible sound is proportional with a 65# bow shooting a 450 grain arrow just like a 72# bow shooting a 550 grain arrow.
        Last edited by muddyfuzzy; 11-07-2014, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Ok heres my set up: xpedition xcentric 66ish pounds, 27" draw. Arrows are bloodsport fps. Rest is a wb. Using bohning 4" wraps and nitro vanes. Wanna use gt 50gr insert weights. Was gonna cut em at 26" carbon to carbon. What yall think?

Comment

Sounds like it should be good.

I just orders three 300 spine blood sports.

Called deer crossing today. The tech was out. Will talk to him Monday.

Should be spine testing and shooting, the two hopefully the week before Thanksgiving.

Either arrow should be around 530 mark. That should put me around 250 to 253 fps

Comment

FOC increase

Sambo73
              We should go see Buck in the AM;-)
              I'll pick you up after Bible Study, unless you are going to join us? In that case I'll pick you up before.
              Last edited by Pushbutton2; 11-07-2014, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Can someone discuss What Dynamic Spine is and how to find it. Also how to tell if it is ..... stiff enough, I guess is what I'm after

Comment

Comment

dynamic spine is how an arrow reacts from the stored energy of a bow as it is shot.

Comment

That's mainly for traditional shooters

Go to arrowtrademagazine.com. Look at articles. Go to sept 2012. See dynamic spine.

Comment

That's .........

Go to arrowtrademagazine.com. Look at articles. Go to sept 2012. See dynamic spine.

Did!
                        Thank you!

Comment

Beman Speed arrows in .300 spine a decent arrow for a long draw archer to use to get high FOC?
                          68# Strother Moxie
                          32" Draw length
                          29 1/4" arrow length?

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                            Beman Speed arrows in .300 spine a decent arrow for a long draw archer to use to get high FOC?
                            68# Strother Moxie
                            32" Draw length
                            29 1/4" arrow length?

That's a great option

Comment

FOC increase

I went to the Bow Shop Saturday to build some arras. Found out a couple things.

First. I figured out my FOC wrong.
                              I had the tip on the arrow when I figured out my balance point.

Secondly the tech likes the Beman Speed arrows, just not for my setup.He says the static spine, 300, might be good but since it's a thin wall arrow the dynamic spine is to weak. He has a customer the shot them out of his Matthews XLR8 after a couple week of shooting he brought them back because they were bent, like an aluminum arrow.

Thirdly the Easton Bone Collector and Easton Axis arrows are pretty much the same. The Bone Collector has a wrap, he recommended the Axis for FOC .

So now I'm quadriply unsure what to did :-(
                              Last edited by Pushbutton2; 11-10-2014, 12:35 PM.

Comment

There are two different ways to measure foc. One with tip and one with. I use the amo method. With out tip. Does it matter not really. Unless your tip is really long there won't be a big difference. Don't get to hung up on the number. Either way there's no right or wrong way to measure foc. Just which method you prefer

Can you tell the difference between say 13 foc and 19 foc. In the shot. Maybe. I can't not the good. No way your ever going to know the difference between 13 and 15.

Yes the dynamic spine is what you have to watch for when building a high foc arrow. No way to test other then just shoot.

The thin wall will have a weaker dynamic spine then a thick wall with both having the same spine. I'm doing testing on that now. Nothing scientific. Just plain shooting and seeing the results. The problem is finding arrows that are close to there tolerance that I'm willing to pay for.

I shoot at a lot of what Evers and I don't like shooting a $13.00 arrow shafts. At just what ever.

There are a lot off good arrows. I'm just not willing to pay 150 plus for arrows. Is that a bad way to look at it yes. We spend average 1000 plus on bow then we shoot cheep arrows. If I was hunting deer only then I would be welling to do,that. But I shoot coons, hogs. And what ever. I'll even shoot crap birds if nothing is going on

There is a lot of good info on the net about what your doing. And lots of opinions. You have to sort through them and test and pick what works for you. Remember building a high foc arrow puts you in a very low percentile of compound shooters. Even lots of pro shops cannot help you with this.
                                Last edited by enewman; 11-10-2014, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X