Protests in Gonzales?? on Friday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
    What I understood you to say is that you have the right to use lethal force to defend public property. I'm drawing conclusions that you didn't state explicitly, have I misunderstood you? If so, I apologize.

I don't actually know what I think about defending public property in general. I can be swayed by arguments that it's valid, or invalid. But I balk at the idea of lethal force as the deterrent.

There are very different definitions of force and lethal force per the penal code. Just the mere presence of a weapon does not constitute deadly force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

right on brother.

1. There are people protesting peacefully. I have no beef with them even if I disagree with them.
      2. There are people destroying property that is not theirs. I cannot condone that action. It is wrong.
      3. Those who riot are still human beings made in the image of God, and deserve some dignity, namely they shouldn't be put to death without a trial, if at all possible.
      4. Going out of your way to protect a statue (that isn't yours, and isn't essential for living a good life) with firearms is not satisfying that last little bit "if at all possible".

Is that empathy? Is valuing human life such a problem? We have jail, we have juries, we have judges, we have courts, all in the name of providing justice, and only at great extremes is death given as a sentence in that judicial system.

Comment

I don't actually know what I think about defending public property in general.
        Take the "who" out of the equation or replace the "who" with a group of people you don't like or agree with. If you'd have a problem with it then, that should tell you how you feel about it.

ex. US citizen members of Mexican drug cartels or ISIS (Spoiler Alert: They do exist) show up and start spray painting and burning down court houses and monuments. Meanwhile the the police are busy fighting their own battles elsewhere (metaphorical or otherwise) while elected officials who work for us do nothing, say nothing or even worse co-sign for the destruction.

Would you still not know how you feel about citizens defending that property?
        I think you do know how you feel but might not want to admit it for fear of sounding "racist" or not seeming as open-minded or tolerant.
        Last edited by BigJimmyRustler; 06-19-2020, 11:47 AM.

Comment

1. There are people protesting peacefully. I have no beef with them even if I disagree with them.
          2. There are people destroying property that is not theirs. I cannot condone that action. It is wrong.
          3. Those who riot are still human beings made in the image of God, and deserve some dignity, namely they shouldn't be put to death without a trial, if at all possible.
          4. Going out of your way to protect a statue (that isn't yours, and isn't essential for living a good life) with firearms is not satisfying that last little bit "if at all possible".

Is that empathy? Is valuing human life such a problem? We have jail, we have juries, we have judges, we have courts, all in the name of providing justice, and only at great extremes is death given as a sentence in that judicial system.
          Sooooooooo when they drag folks out of their cars, shoot store owners trying to defend their property they're still in God's image?

Comment

Can anyone in the area update on how this event is going? Did anyone show up or not?

Comment

Originally posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
              Take the "who" out of the equation or replace the "who" with a group of people you don't like or agree with. If you'd have a problem with it then, that should tell you how you feel about it.

ex. US citizen members of Mexican drug cartels or ISIS (Spoiler Alert: They do exist) show up and start spray painting and burning down court houses and monuments. Meanwhile the the police are busy fighting their own battles elsewhere (metaphorical or otherwise) while elected officials who work for us do nothing, say nothing or even worse co-sign for the destruction.

Would you still not know how you feel about citizens defending that property?
              I think you do know how you feel but might not want to admit it for fear of sounding "racist" or not seeming as open-minded or tolerant.
              If I was worried about appearing open-minded and tolerant, I wouldn't be an active member on this board . Have you seen the broadhead overkill threads? Good grief, man! I'm not about to go showing this thread to my non hunting friends for some kind of street cred. They might find my posts laughing about that pig killing cannon! I'm talking to y'all, and apparently already losing all credibility here for my point of view.

No, I commented originally because it seemed like there was a lack of value for human life in some of the early posts. You make a really good point, comparing rioters to more recognized enemies of America. Even with ISIS or the cartel, I'd still rather see them behind bars than dead. And I'd personally rather not have to make the decision to shoot or not shoot over something as replaceable as a statue. I can fix those things with my vote, and my tax dollars. But I don't think I can say you're wrong for wanting to protect those statues either.

Comment

Nothing going on right now in downtown Gonzales except normal business operations. Hopefully tonight’s protest is done in a peaceful manner, I did however see more law enforcement out than normal.

Comment

Originally posted by 1longshot View Post
                  The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for Good Men to do Nothing.

Edmund Burke
                  I was just about to post this same sentiment but you beat me to it! In different words:

That which you ignore you allow. That which you allow you encourage.

And, seriously, do you really believe the OP is advocating using lethal force or the taking of a human life? I read the post and took it as figurative rhetoric for taking a strong stand (I.e., no longer willing to stand idly by) against the degradation of statues...statues commemorating significant historic events in our state’s history. Events that altered the trajectory for our future, forged our character and identity, and helped define our unique principles. Principles which, by the way, people were willing to fight and die for.

Comment

If this country has reached a point that we have to shoot the mob, we've lost any sense of right and wrong don't you think? As I see it, the only place an individual citizen has lawful power to enforce societal changes is at the ballot box, and with their voice. Both of those are legal rights. Protesting, peacefully, is still a legal right, even if I disagree with the method of seeking change.

But rioting, and citizens killing rioters in defense of property, are flip sides of the same coin. Both groups are stepping outside the law to try and enforce their own particular ideals of what the law should be, which is anarchy. If the city government doesn't deem the property worth protecting, that doesn't give permission for civilians to step in and operate outside the law. If you disagree with the city's stance, vote for change and use your voice, not your guns.
                    I AGREE WITH YOU 100%, in that protesting peacefully should not be questioned by anyone and protected at all costs. Where we differ is that I feel obligated to protest in the same fashion and to protect my property (personal or tax paid facilities) even when my government doesn't or cannot. It's my property too. You don't have to like it..just have to accept it is my right. That's the beauty of our country that many of us often overlook.
                    Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Dont mess with Texas. There is a reason you shouldnt. You see a guy with a gun protecting a statue, seems very ignorant to try to deface or destroy the statue. Remember the Alamo...

Comment

It seems to me that there needs to be some seperation between these groups of people.

1. Peacefull protestors who legitimately want change for the better, and are willing to work toward that change. I think everyone can get behind them, and support their rights and their cause....even join it.

2. Antifa twats, and anyone else using this as an excuse to insight violence, destroy others property, and steal. They need to be jailed immediately and long enough to get the point across. Those caught entering someone elses property, or attempting to harm others....well I got in trouble for my thoughts on them the other day, so lets just say I consider them terrorists and feel they should be treated as such.

The likes of Soros need to be brought to their knees quickly as well. He wants nothing more than the downfall of this country, and he's financing it through antifa and BLM.

The larger issue is education....but how you sort that out with all the fools in charge getting rich, I don't know.

Comment

Threads like this make me more sympathetic to the dang protesters. Who the *#&$ would shoot an overgrown kid over a freaking statue?!?! What the heck has happened to respect for human life? I don't care if you totally disagree with everything the person believes, they don't need to die for a dumb statue.
                          Well you do live in Austin, so you are being hammered with liberal garbage everyday, no doubt you are sympathetic to ignorance.

Comment

Threads like this make me more sympathetic to the dang protesters. Who the *#&$ would shoot an overgrown kid over a freaking statue?!?! What the heck has happened to respect for human life? I don't care if you totally disagree with everything the person believes, they don't need to die for a dumb statue.
                            Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                            Wow-- hotheads who want to shoot protesters could impact my gun rights. Stay home and bang on your keyboard in your underwear. Protecting statues is not a defense to lethal use of force. If any supposed conservatives try to infringe on the 1st amendment rights of citizens with lethal force I hope they go to jail for a long time for the threat to public safety and welfare that they are.
                            Both.... from Austin...…………..
                            I'm beginning to see a trend here...………….
                            Now, ya'll don't stumble over each other, trying to show your self
                            righteous indignation...……..

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                              Sounds like a bunch of excuses considering "the system" in the US just recently had a two term black President.

I can't believe people can even take themselves seriously when typing crap like your comment out. Their only "release" is theatrics such as this? Give me a break. They should go to work for a release. Ridiculous.
                              You are entitled to your ignorance, doesn't mean chit to me. I guess that just because we had a 'two term black President' racism just magically disappeared?? SMH.

Again, I'm not justifying or agreeing with anything they are doing. The fact is, they ARE angry with how things are, and they obviously feel that destroying or bringing down monuments that have racist ties is a way to make a change. Even a blind fool that spews ignorant crap like you did in your post can see this (maybe not?).

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                                You are entitled to your ignorance, doesn't mean chit to me. I guess that just because we had a 'two term black President' racism just magically disappeared?? SMH.

Again, I'm not justifying or agreeing with anything they are doing. The fact is, they ARE angry with how things are, and they obviously feel that destroying or bringing down monuments that have racist ties is a way to make a change. Even a blind fool that spews ignorant crap like you did in your post can see this (maybe not?).
                                Careful...

A blind fool can see that many of those tearing down statues and the like, are nothing more than antagonists, many of them white, and many of them being paid to insight violence and destruction.. It's not all about change...

Comment

Working...
                                X