Hunting/tracking dog opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting/tracking dog opinions

I've been strongly considering and wanting to get a tracking/hunting breed for a few years. I'm not an amateur to dogs in the least, I've raised Blue Tics, ACDs, GSDs and many pitbulls, I understand the needs and dedication, I'm simply trying to figure out what breed would best suit my needs. I'm interested in mostly big game hunting and tracking. I have some exposure to Lacys, I have an idea what they're about, love them. I'm interested in big game, mostly tracking alive and dead. Probably most used for deer recovery. Any ideas? Thanks guys.

Bavarian mountain hounds. Guy on the GS has some puppies coming in I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Following. I’m looking for tracking dog myself. I really enjoy watching a good dog work.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
        Bavarian mountain hounds. Guy on the GS has some puppies coming in I think

Second this!

Comment

See if Boone44 has any puppies left

Comment

Best dogs I've ever seen on wounded deer and hog starters were black mouth curs and blue lacys.

Comment

I went Jagd Terrier this round and have been really impressed.

Comment

I've followed plots, Lacy's, a beagle, a couple of rat terriers, and 2 different pits on bloodtrails. The best ones were those that wanted to please you the most, that would be my primary criteria for a blood tracker, hard heads would go to the bottom of the list. JMO!

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
                  I've followed plots, Lacy's, a beagle, a couple of rat terriers, and 2 different pits on bloodtrails. The best ones were those that wanted to please you the most, that would be my primary criteria for a blood tracker, hard heads would go to the bottom of the list. JMO!
                  Good point!

Comment

Breed is like the least important thing on my list.

Curs that work are my favorites.

You find some sires and bitches that track and hang out for one of those pups.

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
                      A lot of truth here. I have a bloodhound, best nose in the business, zero drive. I'd be better off putting a gopher on a trail. Took her to a tracking event when she was a pup and the "trainers/teachers" (whatever you call the people putting it on) said she had one of the best noses they had seen, but she was nothing more than a biscuit hound. She has zero interest in finding what she's tracking. I think a dog with drive, could be a mutt, but with serious drive would be your best bet.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Patterdale Terrier maybe.

Pigman had an episode where they had one.

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for you and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.

Comment

We are on our 2nd blue lacy and still in training process with her. Cody our 1st was a great tracker. However, like a couple of others have stated it is more about the dog. I had a border collie that was the best tracking dog I have ever seen. This dog wanted to please you no matter what and I think that was what made him so amazing. The problem in my opinion is it is hard to figure that out in a young pup, it just takes time and lots of training. Good luck on your search.
                          J.Shoot

Comment

I have raised registered catahoulas since the 80's. They make great tracking dogs like most cur dogs will. Here is the problem. If you get a real working dog what do you do with them the 350+ days a year that you are not tracking? These dogs tend to be high energy, high prey drive, and hard headed. These traits and being a good pet do not really go together. I also raised miniature dachshunds. They weigh 7-9 pounds make great pets and track extremely well. They are much easier to take with you, easy to keep up with in the woods, and are great pets for the 350+ days they are not tracking.

-john

Comment

Thank you all for your input!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X