No announcement yet.

Another Snake ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speckled King snake....eats other snakes....you killed a good one.

Comment

Dang I hate snakes.

Comment

big whoop, one dead snake
        here is the list they must have googled to find

Also see our "Venomous Snakes of Southeast Texas" poster - great for classrooms, scout groups, and anyone who loves the outdoors. *Note: Although there are only 4 species of venomous snakes in Texas, there are several subspecies of these snakes (10 rattlesnakes, 1 cottonmouth, 3 copperheads, 1 coral snake). The Southeast Texas poster displays the subspecies found in that area. Contact us for information about the venomous snakes found in your area.*

1. Texas Coral Snake - Micrurus fulvius tener

2. Southern Copperhead - Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix

3. Broadbanded Copperhead - Agkistrodon contortrix laticinctus

4. Trans-Pecos Copperhead - Agkistrodon contortrix pictigaster

5. Western Cottonmouth - Agkistrodon piscivorus leucostoma

6. Desert Massasauga - Sistrurus catenatus edwardsii

7. Western Massasauga - Sistrurus catenatus tergeminus

8. Western Pigmy Rattlesnake - Sistrurus miliarius streckeri

9. Timber Rattlesnake - Crotalus horridus

10. Prairie Rattlesnake - Crotalus virdis virdis

11. Blacktail Rattlesnake - Crotalus molossus molossus

12. Mohave Rattlesnake - Crotalus scutulatus scutulatus

13. Western Diamondback Rattlesnake - Crotalus atrox

14. Mottled Rock Rattlesnake - Crotalus lepidus lepidus

15. Banded Rock Rattlesnake - Crotalus lepidus klauberi

Comment

Well i learned something new today. I have seen a lot of snakes but never one like this. Guess that shows how rare they are. My apologies guys/gals. Hard to let snakes go with kids that are so curious.

Comment

I don't understand why anyone cares if someone kills any kind of snake in their yard he didn't come in to your yard to kill it and he didn't break any laws.

Comment

If that's a kingsnake, then he's only there cause he is tracking other snakes in the area.

By the way, that snake is clearly only 3.5 yo and I would have given him another year or two.

Comment

That sucks. I find any more copper heads in my yard I am going to get a king snake. They are territorial and eat other snakes. Better safe than sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by bone View Post
                  I don't understand why anyone cares if someone kills any kind of snake in their yard he didn't come in to your yard to kill it and he didn't break any laws.
                  Because sportsmen police their own

Comment

Because legal or not alot of these snakes are less and less common. I do not question a persons legal right to kill a snake, however as we all know just because something is legal it doesn't make it a good idea.

Comment

Dang-it ya killed a very good one

Comment

I've rescued three rattlesnakes from their clutches, all on Bryan beach. Made rattle snake hat bands out of them.....

Really good snake, best one to have around to protect the kids from rattlers and copperheads.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                          Well i learned something new today. I have seen a lot of snakes but never one like this. Guess that shows how rare they are. My apologies guys/gals. Hard to let snakes go with kids that are so curious.
                          You dont owe anyone on the internet an apology for killing a snake in your own yard where you have children.....definitely a good snake though......dont let the self righteous get you down.

Comment

I believe they are trying to educate him and others. The reason most people kill snakes is fear. They are afraid because they do not know if the snake is dangerous or not. Hence the need for education.

Comment

Originally posted by JSF View Post
                              You dont owe anyone on the internet an apology for killing a snake in your own yard where you have children.....definitely a good snake though......dont let the self righteous get you down.
                              Or let the internet evangelists try to make you feel better.................

Comment

Originally posted by JSF View Post
                                ^^^

This. Nobody around here gets up in arms when somebody arrows a big ol gator gar just for fun, yet we seem to have a bunch of snake huggers

Comment

Working...
                                X