Herbicide which one to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Herbicide which one to use?

I need to find a herbicide that will kill guajillo, blackbrush and mesquite does anyone have any suggestions?

This website should help you out some. Some of the chemicals may be restricted, but if you read through there will probably be some you can get your hands on.

Read through the page and answer the questions to the best of you knowledge. If you looking to kill all three @ the same time, just click on "mixed brush - south texas" in the drop-down menu. When it asks about soil moisture, assume that your going to spray w/ adequate moisture (since it is recommended). As for putting your name, address, etc on top; its just so the printout you get is in a nice format. Noone will call you or mail you anything, but you can leave it out if you want. If anything is unclear on the site, feel free to e-mail me and I'll help out the best I can.

Comment

The only thing I have ever seen kill mesquite is a chemical called Remedy mixed with some diesel. This stuff is expensive though.

Comment

Hello ax2tx,

I retired from the Texas Agricultural Extension Service as County Extension Agent. Conducted way to many result demonstration on mesquite control.

I came up with a formula to use in a 25 gal. atv sprayer that works really good.

1 qt. Remedy
        1 qt. surfactant sticker/spreader makes the diesel and water mix
        5 gal. diesel
        20 gal. water

For best results spray the folage during May. You can spray anytime during full folage, but it works best during May as the leaves don't have not developed the wax coating at this time, and the chemical will be absorbed better.

Comment

Originally posted by stopper View Post

1 qt. Remedy
          1 qt. surfactant sticker/spreader makes the diesel and water mix
          5 gal. diesel
          20 gal. water
          That's what we do...except we use a bigger sprayer mounted on the back of a four-wheeler.

Comment

Stopper, will that stuff kill greenbriar?

Comment

Not sure about the other 2 but for the Mesquite, Reclaim is specifically designed to target it. It is about $ 125 more a gallon then remedy but like I said it is specific for Mesquite and works best as a foliar spray with water and surfactant (Activator 90) when the leaves turn darker and have matured.

I sprayed 200 acres over a 30 day period with a 4wheeler and 25 gallon tank. trees were anywher from 1 ft to 8 ft tall and I had around a 95-97 % kill. the 3% I lost was because a rain showere cam over during the middle of one day.

As far as Remedy, I have only controlled huisache.

I am getting a 90-95% kill using only a 5% solution Remedy in diesel, NO water or surfactant. sprayin basal on about 12-18 inches up from the crown and from 1/2 inch to 6inch trunks.

More info than you needed but what the heck.

OH, Go to the A&M range management website and look for a program Called EXSEL I think it is called, it will tell you what chem will kill what bush and when and where to do it best.

Comment

how much did you have to use to kill the mesquite on your 200 acres. sounds expensive. do the leaves have to be dripping with the chemical or just a light spray.

Comment

Originally posted by RPB View Post
                  Not sure about the other 2 but for the Mesquite, Reclaim is specifically designed to target it.
                  Did you have to have an applicators license to buy this?

Originally posted by RPB View Post
                  OH, Go to the A&M range management website and look for a program Called EXSEL I think it is called, it will tell you what chem will kill what bush and when and where to do it best.

Comment

Sorry aggiehunter, I didnt pay attention that the addy you posted was the one I was reffering to .

As far as the Applicator Liscense, I do have one and I just buy and go, Not sure if you need one or not.

I know you dont need one for Remedy but off the top of my head not sure about Reclaim, the website should tell you this.

I bought 1 gallon for my mesquite on my 200 acres, I only used it on the mesquite trees and nothing else.

My mix was 1qt/25 gal. Which is a 1% solution, I have a 25 gallon tank. This works great for me and I controled 100 % of the trees I sprayed. I missed a few little < 12 inches but my regular pasture spray rotation with Grazon P+D will get those this spring.

Comment

Working...
                    X