First knife of 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First knife of 2012

This is one of my Spicewood Special models. The steel is 1080, and the dovetailed mirror polished bolsters are 440C. The handles are African blackwood. OAL is 7 3/8. This is my first completed knife of 2012, and knife #182. Sold to a friend of mine who likes to predator hunt.

Alright now, photography types. Any tips for photographing mirror bolsters and satin blades without overexposing either? Notice the goon with the camera and tripod reflected in the bolsters

Very nice! PM Sticshooter. He makes knives as well and posts them often. Maybe he has a few tricks up his sleeve?

Comment

That is slick buddy. If you ever wanna trade exotic woods for knives I'm your huckleberry.

Comment

Schweeet!

Comment

Jason, that's a great-looking knife. I'm glad it's sold, because I need to recover from Christmas spending.

To keep from overexposing the highlights, you need to shoot in manual mode. Set a medium aperture (f/stop) value like f/8 or f/11 or so, and then experiment with shutter speeds until you get the exposure you're looking for. Slower shutter = more light and more blown-out highlights. Faster shutter = less light.

Also, for the mirror polished stuff, you probably need to shoot indoors somewhere with flatter light and indirect light so you don't get really bright reflections. Holler if you need help, and I'll come over and see what we can do.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
            This is one of my Spicewood Special models. The steel is 1080, and the dovetailed mirror polished bolsters are 440C. The handles are African blackwood. OAL is 7 3/8. This is my first completed knife of 2012, and knife #182. Sold to a friend of mine who likes to predator hunt.

Alright now, photography types. Any tips for photographing mirror bolsters and satin blades without overexposing either? Notice the goon with the camera and tripod reflected in the bolsters
            Mighty fine looking knife there. Beautiful work. Might try rubbing a thin coat of paraffin or some other clear wax to take the sheen off the metal.

Comment

what does something like that run? And how long does it take in hours to build. I love knives and would like to try my hand in building.

Comment

Shane,
                I'm pretty sure my camera doesn't have a manual mode. I can do some kind of exposure adjustment, and used it to get the pic here. I sorted through a dozen or so to get that one. I'm going to send this one to Kayla Minchew for some photos.

As far as prices, purchasing, etc., I am not a paid member of this site. Google knows who I am, however.

Rubydog, sent you a PM>

Jason Fry

Comment

That's a sweet knife!

Comment

awesome knife

Comment

Very nice! That is awesome!

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Working...